Want to hair rig bread? Heres how...

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by mcwrestler, May 13, 2008.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fish a lot of small ponds, I am lucky enough to have many available to me. When I fish a lake the fish take well to boilies but small duck ponds are different. The fish know one thing and that is bread. They love it, the ducks love it, and the fish cannot get enough of it. If I can't bring the carp to the surface (Floating bread post) then I will meet them on bottom.

I firmly believe that learning how to tie a proper hair rig is the single best way to increase the numbers of carp you can catch. I also feel that all carp recognize bread so with these few things you can create a devastating carp rig that can tear them up.

Heres what you need:
    1. Bread (go figure right)
    2. A cigar tube with the close end cut off
    3. A hair rigged hook
    4. A copper tube or wooden dowel that will fit into the cigar tube (If you use the copper tube one end must be capped off)
    5. A baiting needle, if you don't have one I can tell you how to make one, just take a standard needle with a big eye and some small metal snips. Cut the eye so that it forms a hook. Voila, baiting needle.

Heres how to do it
    1. Get your stuff together
    2. Use the cigar tube to cut many circles out of the bread, use the whole slice.
    3. Use the plunger (dowel or copper pipe) to compress the bread into a pellet form.
    4. Use needle to thread onto hair rig, use a twist tie as a boilie stop
    5. Sling as far as you can

Tight lines to you and post your catches :cool2:

Attached Files:

2. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Never thought you could hair rig bread till i seen this post:big_smile:. Good info Brad.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can hair rig almost anythingif you try hard enough and use some ingenuity. Even soft dough can be hair rigged with a round piece of cork, doesn't last as long as the bread though.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    awesome info thank you for sharing this with us I will try this some looks like a good looking rig, glad to hear that you figured a way to do this and decided to share this with us thanks for the info and good luck to you on your fishing trips.

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    An update on an easier way to make a bread punch to create the bread plugs. Not sure why I did not think of it before, but many carp stores are selling them. Go to your nearest farm supply store and get some of the plastic syringes, preferably in a small size and cut off the end. As soon as that is done you have a working and very functional bread punch.

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good post, I will try to catch a few carp for smoking soon.

7. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never ate carp but I would say a small one under 10 would clean up well. I would be iffy about the large ones though, as I am all big fish.

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Good To GO McWrestler! Well Done and a Great IDEA!

HOPPY4

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    THANKS FOR THE INFO, GOING TO TRY IT SOON

10. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    Brad:

When using hair rigs, do you prefer using a slip sinker or the bolt rig better? Under what situations do you prefer each?

11. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For most situations I use a bolt rig. It allows the fish to hook itself and I use it almost all the time. I will use a slip sinker if fishing for grass carp, or if I am going to be holding my rod the whole time and stalking the fish, which is rare.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    what is a "bolt rig" I have never heard that term. didnt know if we just call it something else around my part of town or if it was something new to me. anyone got a pic of this set up?