Want to fish the Kaw

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Dec 12, 2007.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey guys I want to fish the Kaw and I can only get my bass boat in there when the water is high. My bass boat doesn't hardly stay planed out at 30mph....I don't really fancy going 65 on the Kaw. So I need a small gas motor for my 16' Lowe jon boat. What size should I go? The max hp for the boat is 35. I'm thinking 25hp or less. New motors are pretty expensive especially 4 stroke. I had an old 20 hp Merc it would go about 30mph.I can get a new 4stroke Yamaha 20hp pull start for $2615 a 15 for $2319.Going down to a 9.9 Mariner 4 stroke gets me down to $1549.Ideally I'd like to have a 25 Mercury 4stroke with elec start and power trim but that's $4000.That ain't in my budget. I have looked for months on ebay for a used motor but I'm not very mechanical and I'm afraid I'll get a lemon.It doesn't seem that much cheaper.Explaining why I need a new motor when I have this fancy bass boat sitting in the garage to my wife is the real difficult thing.Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.At least my Jon Boat is otherwise rigged out with lights and rod holders. thanx Eric

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Eric, I have a 16' xpress with a 25 hp. 4 stoke Yamaha that I use for my river boat(also have a 20' bassboat in the driveway). Enjoy it in this section of the Kaw, seriously under motored for the KC area...........hell, I'd put the bassboat in down there before took the dingy out.

Personal opinion here............spend the money on a 4 stroke, quiet, clean and fuel efficient. You don't have a "hole shot" so you ain't going to miss much with a 4 in that direction. If I were spending the money, I'd buy as much HP as the boat would handle.........there is no substitute for HP:big_smile:. Tilt and trim is overrated on these small motors and Merc's weigh a ton, that said, if your going to spend the $ then buy it once and get what you want!! 29mph GPS if the moon and the stars are aligned just right...........got to be a naked solo act to make it work(ain't that bad after the 3 or 4 time).

Don't know what your time frame is, but have a shortshaft 25 you can try on your rig if you promise to wait for warm weather. I'm in Lawrence. Later.

3. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Charlie--Just got me a deal on a 16' flat with a 25 Merc, to run on the river; but I may have to rethink that if your plannin' any more 29mph. runs on the Kaw. That sight could scar a guy for life!!

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Only thing that would scare you is how close the boats would have to get for you to see anything:embarassed:.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have seen some guys on the lower kaw in kansas city with a 5hp motor. Don't get you any place fast but it works.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,