Want to catch this turtle!

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by buddah, Sep 17, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Ok, I never really set up an actual line for Snapping turtles and I happen to know where some VERY large Snappers are. I want to catch one for the sport/meat but not shure how to catch them. How do you catch a turtle?... limb line? In my case I know where they are digging into the bank and have been watching them for months now. Thomcat and I were gonna try to catch em but wanted some more info on them before taking them. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Go catfishing and you will catch them turtles, lol

I have never targeted turtles but that is always how I have caught them

3. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    i use eather limb lins or jug lines for large snaper jugs i use bleach jug and once a turtles on i tye the line to the twort of my canoe and take it to the truck

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Ok, the turtles in question are in an area where there are a few stumps/roots to maybe attach a limbline but I never used one or a "jug" so would need some instruction there. These are huge turtles and at least a 1/4 mi. from my house so could be kinda dangerous. Have to have Thomcat help me.
    Should I bait it up with liver on a #1 treble Hook tied to ?#test to what? the bank somehow? will it hook like a fish? see I don't wanna mess with it untill I know more about the methods and such. I see them jaws and want to stay on the other end of em'!

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Dinkbuster I am sure will have plenty of info on turtle fishing. Hit him with a pm I would bet he could give you plenty of info. Another one I would ask would be Peewee that man is full of knowledge.

6. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    you need to check the regulations in your state also in ohio you are not allowed to use treble hooks and the hooks need to be a certain size,also have to have name and address on the jugs and limblines,hope this helps,dont want to seee a brother paying a big fine over missed regulations

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Yeah, I'm gonna check the booklet here in a little bit and see what my options are! There are some GREAT ideas here! Pretty clever too! Id like to see one of those Nail type traps, I'll have to sketch one out and see what'll be plausable. These here turtles will be for eating..Turtle soup!
    Hopefully I'll be askin for a good recipie next!

8. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    hope u do, would like a taste of it

9. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    if yuo need help,, let me know

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well, I'm not draggin these things home alone..You'll just have to come down some weekend soon. We'll split the meat if you wanna! You seen those turtle "digs" and "drags" on the bank when we were fishing that day. I'm not tangling with those alone!

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Here is the link on turtle regulations in my part: http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/fishpub/summary/repamp.html

Here is the "skinny" on it as far as tackle goes...
    "Hooks must be at least 3.5 inches long with not less than one inch space between the point and shank of the hook. The number of lines or hooks per line is unlimited." Pa. Game code for snapping turtles

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    not to disrespect dink or any one else but heres my method for catching snappin turtles . drive down the road and find some road kill ground hog or squeril works well but you dont want it rotted to the point the flies have blown it , day old road kill is good , cut off the feet these are good and tough to get off the hook . now get a peice of pipe or rod iron about 24" long and a peice of flexible wire gitar string works good tie a hook to one end of the wire tie the other end in a loop bait the hook , drive the rod or pipe in the ground at the waters edge at ninety degreese leave a foot sticking out of the ground slide the loop of the baited line over the pipe and place other end in the water . check it twice daily change the bait if necessary .
    once youve hooked the turtle then you dont have to look for him he will be there at the stake , you need to get him out of the water or mud they tend to pull and try to brake free sometimes they get burried in the mud .grab the end of the wire give it a pull up and out if the turtle is burried then you have to get in the water , keep the line tight you should see the head reach back over its back and grab the tail and lift keeping the head away from you . once youve got him out you can place one foot on his back and pull on the wire this should extend his neck , take a sharp knife and cut just behind the head all the way around and thru the spine removeing the head keeps you out of danger .
    just incase youve never cleaned a turtle heres how take a sharp knife and remove the shell , cut thruogh the skin and slice all the way around shell . remove the breast plate the same way. then remove skin from the meat just skin it out by pullin and cuting as you go , once the skin is removed grab each leg by the hip and twist it will snap out of socket then take the knife and cut free do this with each leg , neck and tail then dump and clean out guts take a pair of diagonal snips and cut the ribs on the back of the shell and cut the tenderloin out , this is neat the heart after you have cleaned the turtle still beats . good luck hope this helps

13. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    You made that sound so graphic!..LOL

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    it is sorry lol if i was there id show you first hand , i love getting bloody .

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    From the sounds of it, I'd prolly just let ya' handle it..heh,heh!

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  17. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    One afternoon I was catfishing and caught no fish but 5 big ole snapping turtles. I took em and put them in a nearby creek. If you are catching a lot of turtles in one spot you should relocate them because they love anything the cats do.

18. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Buddah just throw a dead bluegill out with a #2 hook turtles drive me crazy taking cut bait and whole dead fish.:angry:

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yea I have caught to many catfishing:tounge_out: