Want to catch some flats or blues

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flathead33, Dec 15, 2008.

1. flathead33

flathead33 New Member

State:
    NC
    I am new to the Clayton NC area. I have always fished the santee or lake murray in sc. I just want to know some of the best spots to target the blues or flats in this area. I know the neuse is good but what other lakes are decent in the area for trophy blues? Any in Jordan lake?
    Thanks
    Tony

2. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    Try Kerr Lake for great winter time Blues. Real quality fish and a great year around fishery. In the Spring and Summer, the head waters produce awesome Flatheads if you have a boat that can navigate them. The lake can be treacherous, so if you come up, buy a map and take your time to get to know where you are at. If you have fished Santee, you know all about submerged trees and stumps. The same applies on the upper end of this lake along with rock piles and sand bars. Tight Lines!!!!!!!!!!

3. flathead33

flathead33 New Member

State:
    NC
    yeah I heard kerr lake is great for the cats.. Yeah those trees can mess you up especially trying to navigate at night which is when I normally go for the big ones. Have you fished the Neuse river at all? I heard its loaded with flats and the blues are in there also.
    Thanks
    Tony

4. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    what til spring and when the shad start to run i will post and come down. i catch us bait and we can fish. really nice blues. a lot over 40lbs.

5. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    Thats exactly right, lots of nice fish in there, to go along with the obstacles just under the water at the flats area... come on up catch some bait and take it easy if you get within a mile of the head waters ( splits ) if the water is down much below 300 !! and good luck

6. flathead33

flathead33 New Member

State:
    NC
    yeah that sounds good. Just let me know when you start to go out for them and I will head up there in the spring.

7. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    shad should be coming up river in about april through may and the cats stack up in the locks waiting for dead and dieing shad to float down. i have caught cats and stripers using both shad and eel. but some of the biggest cats i have seen are on shad when they run. and have the fun is catcing shad too. allowed 10 a day and that more bait than one person could use. used 3 shad one year and filled a buddies boat up 3 times. he ate the cats and did a fish fry. total was close to 500lbs. anything over 25 we put back and we released a lot that night. lost 3 beside the boat wll over 60 lbs. and i know i had the new state record at boat but could not get net around it or the net was not deep enough to get here in it. tried twice before he pulled the hook. she hit one whole fillet of a 3 pound shad. but was nice to know she is here. well hope to se you when season starts.