want to buy some new arrows

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by stinkbaitman, Apr 12, 2008.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i need to get half dozen arrows for a tournament and i dont know what i should get, feathers or vanes, if vanes what type? carbon or aluminum? my bow is about 40 pounds and i shoot release and with a prong rest. any info is appreciated!

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i get my arrows from the sportsmans warehouse. i shoot the beman hawk carbon arrows. i don't shoot competition, i just hunt. any arrows i buy i immediately strip and clean the shafts and refletch them with 2" blazer vanes. this way if you can get a good deal on some arrows, you're not stuck with crappy fletching. hope this helps!

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When i use to shoot I use to by the feather ones

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Cody! If you are shooting in a tournament, I would choose a lightweight carbon arrow with 2 inch fletching. Probably go with the Blazer vanes, as it was mentioned in a previous post. The lighter arrows will give you more speed. This is what tournament archers are striving for. The helps give less pin gap at longer yardages. A good arrow from Easton or Beman is a good choice. Talk to someone in an Archery Pro Shop for info. They should give you some great advice on what type of arrow you should try.:0a26:

5. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Get whatever arrow flys the best out of YOUR bow.Speed means nothing if you can't hit the side of a barn.With that said,feathers are lighter and will therefore make your arrow faster.Vanes are way more durable and are not affected by the weather.Choice is yours.Remember that most tournements require you to shoot under 285fps.I don't think you will have a problem with this shooting a 40 pound bow.I shoot Goldtip arrows.Good luck with waterever you decide!!!

6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As stated feathers are lighter thus greater speed. All speed equates to is less error in range estimation. If the targets are at known yardages it doesn't mean much. It's been 10-15 years since I shot 3-D contests so I may be out of date. But out of 200 competitors my son at 12 years old shot a 35 lb bow and center punched a fast moving 3-D deer on a cable and won a big club contest. Only because he shot a few thousand arrows all summer. And just for the heck of it he did it again after the contest just to show them it wasn't just a lucky shot. Hardest earned $10 trophy a kid ever won. The best part was seeing all these guys with super wazzo bows and gadgets just watch and whine.

Whatever you shoot, contest shooting will make you a much better hunter.

7. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Is this indoors or outside? 3D or paper? Knowed yardage or unknowed? Lots of things to think about.

8. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    its indoors paper targets amd 15 yards but i talked to my archery "man" and hes fixin to get me some vapor carbon arrows. camo with either ble and orange or black and orange feathers. i want theese arrows to look crazy.

9. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    gold tip arrows are good Blazer vanes nice groups