Want some opinions

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Baker, May 23, 2007.

1. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i will be fishing a medium-sized resivoir this weekend, and i was wondering if there are certain spots too look for in a resivoir that 'cats like to hang out in. i will problably be using cut bluegill(unless there are other suggestions) but i was just wondering if i should look for structures that will hold the cats better(mostly off of the bank) thanks guys, if i need to be more specific or if this is a tough question, let me know and i will try to refraise(sp) it if i can. cya, Evan

2. flathead man

flathead man New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey man in the resovors i fish i look for wood structure for flatties and channels or creek channels to fish and if ya got 2 pols i try 1 cut bluegill and a live gill on a slip sinker rig in 3 to 10 ft of water hope this helps

3. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If at all possible find your self a good topographic map for your reservoir. First circle spots on your that have a flat which quickly drops off into deeper water. Next on these spots look for creeks and points. Mark these with a different color. Finally when you go to these spots visually look and use your sonar (if you have one) to identify structure. Mark structure with a different color. The spots on your map with the most color are the spots you should focus on but anything that you have circled is a good spot to check out.

4. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Bank or boat? Night or day? How's the weather? Are just a few variables that come into play.

On a bright sunny day, I'd start out looking for structure (downed trees, sunken timber, rock piles and those nifty little manmade fish atracters) and areas with low light penetration (I've had success casting in the shadows of trees vs casting out in the sun), drop offs, submerged creeks/channels.

During or right after a rain, look around the creeks that feed into the lake.

At night look around the shallows, around the flats beside a channel or submerged creek.

I've had success with cut bluegill, chicken liver, night crawlers and both live and cut shad. I always try to keep a fair variety of baits on hand though. Y' just never know what Whiskers is in the mood for.

These are just some of my default settings when I leave the boat ramp. Everything is subject to change once you get started. Keep an open mind and don't be scared to experiment.

Jon

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Nothing beats a good topo for the lake even if your stuck on the bank. You'll see where they will be hanging out and can set up near by for when they go cruising.

6. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    when i go to a lake where i am 'blind" to or never been there i always check the local bait shop first. see what the older guys are saying, usually i do the opposite of what they say lol ( did u figure the old timers would really tell ya the truth lol) anyway i like fishing the deep holes as well as if i find a nice cove with downed timber, i once came across an old railroad bridge that had partially fallen in and it was awesome fishing for cats there. i tend to use shrimp when im in a lake, for some reason i get better results, also try some good ole cant go wrong nite crawlers, and also look around at the trees sometimes there are catulpa worms around too and the cats are usually just waiting for them to hit the water....good luck make sure u tell us how it went

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I like fishing at night in the shallows. Try using live and cut bait to see what they will hit on. Cut bluegill with work just fine.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Also if you are after just channels,Danny Kings Punchbait will make them bite.

9. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i am fishin for channels...so where a guy go to get his hands on some of that bait?? lol thanks for the replys guys!

10. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Most walmarts carry it. They have three flavors original,blood,garlic.

11. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    I would have to agree with the above posts, all are good but you can't go wrong fishing the shallows in the late evening/nite. Channels like to cruise the shallows/shoreline looking for something to eat.