want and need

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ncfowler, Feb 7, 2009.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    In this times we are looking at how watch how we use our money, with the jobs falling off almost as quick as leaf off a tree and with the dim outlook of the prospect of jobs, If you are waiting for the the government to bail you out keep waiting. We often confuse the words need and want. We need very few things in life, food, water, clothes, a roof over our head, a job, and maybe some transportation, and health care. everything else is wants, How often have we said we need a new rod or reel, even if the ones we have work just fine, the word need, needs to replaced with want, If you can use the word want in place of need then maybe you just don't need it. I use this logic in buying my toys lately. If you look back in time as early as 40 yrs ago the purchase of our toys has been much less. Over the years advertising and keeping up with the Jones has been object one. How often do you see ads that drive you to the store and get that new toy. I fall into that trap as i'm sure as many of you do. I have been lucky enough to be able to get the things my kids want, they may have to wait a while but in time they will get it. Now with the times looking dim i have changed my approach on buying even the simplest of things, often i said i need now i say i want and do i need. I look at a reel and then think that could pay a bill or some other things we really need. How many times was the credit card pulled out with out a thought and that reel or tv was bought because we thought we needed it. Now looking back and ahead i see that the way we look at how money is spent will be the choice of keeping the things we need to keep warm, food on the table and able to get to work. Our nation is in a steep free fall, to prevent us form falling any more looking at our needs and wants is to be re-evaluated. I still want tons of stuff but, it will have to wait until all my needs and my family needs are safe and secure. We hope with our new president thing will improve but even if the simulation package passes tonight it will be a while if not years for it to show up in helping our economy.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i agree head man i always need some thing but only want it.not any more im stretched out now. GOD BLESS US ALL

3. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    Same here, got kids and times are tough!! lots' of times I have to put their needs way ahead of my wants,, ditto catoon

4. catfishguy01

catfishguy01 Guest

same here, very true

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Thats a realistic way to put it. If we had been doing that the last few years, the country wouldn't be in the shape its in now.

6. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I know that the average guy has wants, but I dont believe thats what is bringing us down, I believe it is the big top dollar guy that has wants ,that is bringing us down. He wants more houses and property and more cars for his collections and that not a bad deal, the bad deal comes into play when the top guys are selling our jobs out to make extra, I mean if I made 1 million in one year, Why do thet sell jobs to Mexico, China, ect,ect,ect,because they think they make more money and dont care that the people buying the product is eventually going to be out, with no job {the trickle back up effect}
    people have forgotten we make more money here because we are human and need insurance ect, They forgot those cheap prices come from labor camps and child labor, The made in america pride is pretty much gone, :sad2:SOMEHOW we ve got to get it back .You know there are 500 some plus people we elect to sell us out.People that vote against the well being of U.S. do to the buddy system or other finaial bennies, Anyway Ill leave you with the thought of OIL people Making millions of profit in 1 quarter. and Americans are still pying the price

7. ncfowler

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    most of us at one time or another have lived beyond our means, In the past getting back into our means was only a few paychecks away, lately with last years high gas prices and falling of the dollar getting back to our means is a little harder and taking longer to do. This and the prospect of the stress that our job may not be there the next day. Credit cards are raising there rates to get some of the loss income, passing it on to us the consumer, other credit cards are cutting back your credit limit, in some cases pushing you over your limit and being hit with charges, take a look at your statement to make sure this is not happening to you, if it is call customer service and have them remove this charge it is not a legal. If you have have heard the news for the last few months almost on a daily basis you here of companies laying off large part of there work force. This with the the housing market making many of the mortgages upside down are forcing many to chose between food or a place to live, many are so in debt because of arm mortgages that they have no choice but to walk away form there investments or go chapter 11. Every day when i go to work i thank my employer and the sales staff for keeping us employed. I work in a industry that depend on people who want stuff and still live under the context that they need it. I thank them too.

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Everybody seems to want to cast blame for what is going on when the real culprits are you and me. Nobody forced you or your spouse to buy imports, you chose to do so on your own. Nobody forced you to aspire to a standard of living you couldn't possibly pay for. You did that all on your own. You claim somebody should have kept you from doing such foolish things when if you had applied yourself to studying in school, you would have known better. You want to be "bailed out" yet do not take the opportunity to gain new knowledge which will help you to bail your own self out. People used to know how to chase up a few buck by doing odd jobs, doing a little buying and selling, buying food in bulk and preparing it from scratch. The secret of living has always been to live the life you CAN afford in good times and bad. That way when the bad times hit you have something put back to tide you over. If you are over 45 and still have a negative net worth, you are definitely pushing your luck.

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well worded Jeff, and a very good point. Reps. It seems Americans have lost their survival instincts and have become too independant on federal aid. Many have forgoten how to make do with what they have, what they can gather, or the ability to streamline to make ends meet. Wake up America!

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree with what you all say but, I need a new catfish rod..

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the president just made a speach and he sees the problems were discussing on here. he sees that over spending is a problem across the board, and he is instead is putting the blame on the lenders instead of us for letting us live above our means. when they know they are lending out high risk consumer loans with hopes of a high return being that they will only be able to pay the minnium amount for a long time, and not leaving sufficent funds to cover the low risk guanteed return buisness loans that keep the wheels turning. also the corperations overspending on luxery items corprate charterd jets and other unnecessary spending thats raising the costs of goods. he said their is more than just one direction to point the blame witch is true. hope everyone got to watch his speach i liked what he had to say he hit a lot of points on this and other threads we have discussed.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I want lotsa stuff that I need! :wink: I'm going to keep pecking at it until I get it ALL! :smile2::eek:oooh::smile2:

Bill in SC

13. ncfowler

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    hey just send some of the old suff you don't need any more to me because i want it, don't need it just want it. lol

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I agree. I have been in Afghanistan now for 3 years, and my whole out look on need and want has changed. I realize even with the economy the way it is we are in a lot better shape than a lot of people in this world. Over here need is clean water, want is a pump to bring it up, so you dont have to get your water from a runoff or ditch. Need here is being able to buy a chunk of meat for the evening meal, wanting is to have meat 2 times a day. Need here is a medical care, wanting is a Doctor within 100 miles. Need here is having your child reach the age of 5, wanting is for more than 5 out of 10 to make it to age 5. I could go on and on.

I know our economy is bad, and we will probably have to tighten our belts, but we are blessed living in the best country in the world, reguardless.

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    The best post on this thread.