Wanna upgrade to bigger Boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by bud1110, Nov 10, 2007.

1. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I have a 15ft Lowe Jon Boat with a 25hp Tohatsu motor right now. It's a good Boat but it tends to rock from side to side when you move around.

I'm thinking about going to a larger Boat, say, a 16ft up to an 18ft. Problem is, My Tohatsu Motor is a short shaft. I was wondering if anyone knew of a larger Boat with a semi V, Deep and wide, that I could use my Motor on.
    I don't want to buy another Motor as this one is in great shape, and runs perfect.

Maybe someone could PM me with a link for a Boat that would work.

Thanks..

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I got just what you want!

Wanna trade?

Send me a PM

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bud, maybe you can catch a ride on the Titanic. LOL At least it didn't rock from side to side. Just bow to stern - one time.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds like you might have a jonboat with a 36" bottom. If that's the case, make sure you move up to a 48" bottom at least. That extra 12" of width makes a huge difference in stability.

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Jerry,

Yes Sir,

I think mine is a 36" bottom. There must be a semi V Jon somewhere thats at least 16' to 18' long, that will accept my short shaft Motor. If someone has a link to a Boat place that handles this size, please send me a PM. I don't know if Boc rules would prevent posting them here or not.

6. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    My suggestion would be to buy whichever boat you want with a tall transom and then get an extension added to your existing outboard.

7. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
  8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you go to a semi-V, you're going to give up a lot of lateral stability. When I upgraded from a 16' x 36" jonboat to my Lowe 1648, I was able to use the same motor. It's not a long shaft. It's my understanding that outboards only come in long shaft and short shaft. I'd definitely recommend doing some measuring of transoms before you do anything drastic.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Most 16' jons can be bought with either short or long transom (15 or 20"). Once you step up in the 18 foot range, most jons will be limited to a 20" transom. I agree with what was already said, that width has more to do with stability. My 14' jon with 48" floor is Very stable, and shorter than you are looking for.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can take a nice heavy-duty 16'x48" jonboat, put two big guys in it, and have them both stand on the rail, side by side, and not have to worry about the boat tipping or shipping water. On mine, I've had my buddy right up against the side of the boat, holding on to me while I was head down in the water almost to my waist (untangling a jug & retrieving the fish that took it there). No way we could do that with my old 16'x36" jonboat.