Wanna try ice fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by buddah, Sep 17, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I have been wanting to go ice fishing for a few years now and might actually do it this year. I have done this once before but wasn't dressed for it and had a MISERABLE time. I'm positive that if properly outfitted it's a blast. What do I need to get started? The basics as far as equipment goes?

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    -sufficient ice to keep you from falling thru
    -fishing partner (safer in pairs so if one falls thru theres someone to get help
    -warm clothes
    -hand warmers
    -2 pairs of gloves
    -ice auger
    -bucket
    -ice rod
    -tip ups
    -assorted tiny do dats like pimples, ice rats...ect...
    -holy spoon to keep hole clear of the slush that forms
    -portable fish finder/flasher helps but not neccesity
    -strap on kleets to help you from sliding. it helps but not a neccesity

did I miss anything??

3. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    You are a sick MFer to want to fish on a frozen lake!!!!!!!!!!!111:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

4. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    That's something I'd love to try!! It'll never happen down here though!!:embarassed::sad2::cry:

5. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Ice fishin is my faverit kind of fishin. Scott covered most of the thing's you might need. My self I like a small portable hut, it make;s thing a lot easer on yoa.

6. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Awsome PIC!!:eek:oooh::smile2:

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    The only thing I would add is a pair of ice spikes that you wear around your neck and down your sleeves that have a sharp spike about 3" long on one end so when you go in the lake you have some thing to jab in the ice that lets you pull yourself out with. safety first. I finally bought a hut and love it but fished for years off a 5 gal bucket and dressing for it is definatly the answer. Dress in layers so when you take off down the lake you can shed clothes so you don't sweat and then put them back on as you get cold. I'll tell you a true story, we were ice fishing on Fish Lake just outside Duluth Minn. and we had an 8' X 8' dark house with two 2' X 3' holes cut out in the floor and when your in a dark house the holes you cut out are just like watching a TV you can see the bottom just as if it were only 8" deep. In reality it was over 15 feed deep and crystal clear. I was sitting there watching my hole and suddenly a fishing rod goes flying by under water. I kind of take a second to comprehend what just happened and then the guy in the next hut over started yelling his fishing pole was just pulled in by a fish. I went over and told him to lighten up it just went by me. We had a good laugh and I still get a chuckle out of that one, you just don't see that every day.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when buying an auger get one of those newer lazer ones with the curved blades, they even cut through re-frozen holes which is nearly impossible with a conventional auger. unless your going after walleye, northern, or big channels a 6inch auger should do fine. also when buying jigs GET THE PHOSPHORESCENT PAINTED JIGS! (glow in the dark) it gets really dark under the ice and those glow jigs really make a big difference. and most importantly, try to get a cheap portable sonar. 90% of the water will be fish free during the winter and a sonar will help ya find where they are all stacked up. i myself prefer flashers when ice fishing.

9. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jay, you can get into Icefishing, fairly cheap. It is like anything, the more you do it, the more equiptment you want!:big_smile: If you decide to get an ice house, you can prolly find one in some classified ads, that would be just fine.

I use the cheaper Schoolys (sp), as far as reels and poles with the bobber built into the tip. They are fairly cheap and work just find. Just wanted to let you know that you dont have to spend a bundle to get into it, that way if you decide its not your thing, you dont have much into it.

Also as was said before "BE CAREFUL" find someone who knows what they are doing and go with them a couple times. You'll get onto it and have a bunch of fun. Good Luck and be safe!!

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jay - I do a lot of ice fishing in the winter. I mostly go after Trout but also catch Bass and Panfish. If you want to make the drive over to the western part of the state some weekend, I would be happy to take you out and show you what I know! I also caught my largest Channel Cat - 28" through the ice!

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Man, this recent weather we are having makes me think ice fishing season is coming fast!!!:roll_eyes:

12. new to fishing

new to fishing New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont even know how to ice fish but it is something that i want to try this winter is it hard and what kind of bait do you use?

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jesse - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25: The #1 most important key to ice fishing is making sure that your dressed properly. If you don't wear the right cold weather clothing you will be miserable and heading home real fast. Bait? What species are you fishing for will determine the answer to that question. I mostly fish for Trout through the ice and prefer Fatheads, Waxworms, Maggots, Powerbait and ice jigs.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I always wanted to try it but been afraid my fat butt would fall through. :wink:

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Look like ya got some nice lookin perch there! Yumm. LOL

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well I'm buying a this nice lil St.Croix set up for 40.00 and a lil hut. So I copied down your shoppin list! LOL Thank you very much!

OH YEAH, you did forget one thing.. a sled to get all yur crap out to the spot! LOL

17. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Buddah Depending on what kind of hut you by, the hut is the sled. The flip up's work the best as a sled. For the most part they run around $200 and up.

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thanks, I'll have to check em' out! Does Cabelas have em?

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Tea - Your not fat anymore so if you want to give it a try sometime let me know:smile2: . If it were not for ice fishing I would go nuts in the winter:crazy: ! We always send the new guy ahead of us to make sure the ice is safe! LOL!:big_smile: Just kidding!:lol:

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jay - A lot of guys make their own shelters also. I made one that I have used for years. I made my own to save money plus I was able to build it to fit my vehicle. The great thing about a shelter is to keep the cold winter wind off of you. I take a small propane heater which I consider to be one of the most important pieces of ice fishing gear. The heater thaws out numb fingers after handling fish. Also take towels along to dry hands, wet hands get numb in a big hurry. If you should decide to build a shelter, locate a pair of old skis to mount it on, then you can put all of your gear in the shelter and drag it onto the ice. I also HIGHLY recommend a power auger! It beats the heck out of manually drilling holes.