wanna go juggin

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by battman, Oct 18, 2008.

1. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    im a regular on wattsbar and going to start juggin. any tips on placement/technichs would be appreciated.have tryed it a few times but not sure if im doint it in a productive way.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC! My first suggestion is to read what has been posted about jugging techniques; ignore the discussions about whether or not it's moral. They should help you decide if you'd rather use anchored jugs or freefloating jugs, and whether you'd rather jug the lake or the river below the dam. You should also get lots of ideas of various techniques for each type of jugging. For instance, some prefer to use only one hook, while others prefer to use several. (Where it's legal--Tennessee only allows one hook on a jug.)

3. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks for the advice. im strictly catch and release so the moral part doesnt bother me.i go cattin for the fun of it,if i take a picture its on the boat and then i release. i figure if i release,everyone has a better chance of a catchin a big cat.:big_smile:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lane Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    battman Watts bar is my lake. I am laid up due to open heart surgery but will be ready next spring. I use noodles with 600 pound parachute cord for a main line mostly 18 feet with a weight on the bottom. I use 8/0 j hooks on 12 - 18 inch drops attached to a barrell swivel then to a trot line clip. this way I can move the hook to where i want it. I usually use live brem for bait but like shad or skipjack for bait. I put my jugs out as soon as i have caught enough brem to bait them and stay with them until almost dark releasing everything i catch so i don't have to dress them after dark. I pick them up next morning and have caught as many as 34 cats on 35 jugs. Sometimes takes till after noon to find them all but aint it a shame to have to stay out that long on such a beautiful lake. I do eat Watts bar cats and prefer the bigger ones.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Craddock1,

Hope everything is coming along OK and get well soon

7. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Thank You catman. They only lost me once this time but it sure has put me out for the fall cat fishing.I am doing great now to be in recovery.

8. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP FRANK.DID HAVE ABOUT 30 FEET OF LINE WITH A BRICK ON THE BOTTOM.HADNT THOUHT ABOUT MAKING THEM ADJUSTABLE. GOING TO SHORTEN MY LINE. SAW A FELLOW FISHERMAN ON THE LAKE LAST WEEKEND AND HE SAID HE USES OLD SPARKPLUGS FOR HIS WEIGHTS,SO IM GONNA TRY THAT. YOU JUG AT NIGHT? CAME UP WITH AN IDEA FOR A JUG TO USE DAY OR NIGHT. MADE A ROUGH PROTOYPE LAST WEEKEND, COULD SEE IT HALF A MILE AWAY AT NIGHT. WHEN I GET THE BUGS WORKED OUT ILL POST PICS AND INFO.

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I don't like to stay with my jugs at night. To many pleasure boaters out there who think they own the lake. I like the 600 lb line for when they purposely run over my jugs. few motors will cut my line. I don't fish the big water like down where you are. I like to stay up in the rivers where i can leave my jugs out at night an find them within 5 miles of where i put them out next morning. When I did fish them at night I put a piece of silver duct tape around the top end. It would reflect light much further than you could see with a spot light. I use orange and green noodles now. You can see them close to a mile away on a still morning.

10. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i know what you mean about the pleasure boaters. just got my moter back,had to put new topend on it because 2 drunks thought it would be fun to see how close they could get to my house boat goin wide open and swamped my moter,not once but twice.still lookin for that boat! now thats its cooled off shouldnt have to worry bout that. im starting to try the inlets and bays. not had a lot of luck on the big water lately.ill keep in mind the rope idea,have had a lot of close calls with idiot at night.

11. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    :sad2:just got my moter back from being rebuilt,had my little boat tied up to houseboat so i could moter it to the ramp so i could put the moter back on,all of sudden the boat raised up and stopped! found a huge stump that was about 6 in below the water! ripped a 24 in gash in fiberglass toon!! checked today and stump is 6 in above water! shouldnt the marinas have the water way cleared for safe passage?? this was in the main passage from our slip to the harbour,25 yards from the main dock. anyone have any comments or suggestions? know something about the regulations or tn.state requirments?:sad2: