Wanna Be's - How do I keep my fishing hole to myself?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by thegavel, Jun 8, 2006.

1. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    When I catch a large flathead or a nice stringer, I am almost afraid to talk about it. I have had a lot of experiences of people flooding my favorite fishing holes and pushing me out as a result of me telling people about my catch. Honestly, sometimes it is nice to show boat a little, but it always seems to backfire on me. I am not a pampous @$$, but I would like to be able to fish my traditional spots.

I am an experienced angler with a lot of knowledge and love to share stories, teach people what I know, and get them to feel the addiction that Cat Fishing is, but does anyone have any ideas as to how I can stop the flooding?

2. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    i agree!! and people should have the decency to not be rude. and show a lil courtesy.

3. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    My dad told me it is my life motto: THE ONLY WAY THREE PEOPLE CAN KEEP A SECRET IS IF TWO OF THEM ARE DEAD! My advise take pics some them, and the where did you catch (?), the water of course:cool2:

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i say to just keep your holes secret... if you tell one person, they will tell 2 people and so on and so fourth... if you are going to share your hole with someone, make sure they are a close friend and let them know that you don't want any more people to know where the hole is... that way, your friend feels special that you told him and want to keep the hole secret... but then after a while he will tell someone else too... its just the way it happens... lol

5. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    we call those people " pot lickers"
    matt

6. worm

worm New Member

State:
    missouri
    I feel your pain. I fish alot of local tours. on the Missouri had a nice hole with some fishin buddies we all shared . During the cabelas tour. 2 boats pulled 300 pounds out of the hole in one night.sorry to say i lost by 10 pounds . But now every tom dick and harry that seen where we were at are seeling maps

7. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Why wouldn't people go to where they know there are fish, I don't think that people should crowd you out but who do you know that would purposely pass up a honey hole. They don't call then secret spots for nothing.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE NATIONAL GATHERING

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    What it amounts to is laziness. You are finding the holes and good spots and someone else is taking advantage of your hard work. It's a bummer to say the least. The best way to keep your holes is to not tell anyone exactly where you caught your fish. That's what I do. I tell them what I caught them on, and what body of water they came from but not exactly where on that body of water. The closest I'll get is tell them up or down river. Most of the guys around my area won't ask you exactly where you caught your fish because there is an unwritten rule that you just don't ask and most folk follow that rule pretty closely. I dont mind answering anyone's questions about bait, technique, time of day and so on but I absolutely will not tell anyone where my holes are. The exception of course if fishing partners and trusted friends. I showed one such friend my method of locating and setting up on holes. Two week later he caught a 50lb blue from on of those holes. Now he's hooked on chasing those big fish. I think I created a monster. I also shared information with a guy I work with. He is a very good fisherman and already knew the river where we fish. What he didn't know was how to set up on the holes. I taught him and he is having good success but has not caught a big boy yet. We're probably the only three guys that know where those big fish holes are and it will probably stay that way.:big_smile:

9. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Keep the holes sercet

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Yeah Iowa pretty much sucks in this department. There isn't that much bigwater for cattin. If the water is big enough and there are perceived to be enough fish, people share information more freely. That isn't the case where I live. And actually, whatever you write on here is free for the whole public to see until this site goes down or forever, whichever comes first.

Luckily, I don't have any good spots. If you did let a good river spot out here or verbally, it would be lined with bank poles next weekend so I can't critisize. It isn't like the local crowd is letting them go again.

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Barb wire and pit falls will work:big_smile:lol.

Seriously, What do you enjoy more, catching the fish or showing them off?

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That and a few Claymores should do the trick, LOL!!!

When you catch these fish and they ask you where, tell them about a spot that is at least 5 miles from the correct location. Or you could just tell them "In the corner of the mouth", that generaly gives them the hint that, you ain't tellin, LOL!!!

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never ever tell anyone where you catch your flatheads.

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well you tell what and how you catch but never WHERE.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    it is best to be open about it from the begining. Tell them you don't tell anyone because too many people misuse the information and therefore misuse the fish. Now you have made it clear that you care about the fish and they would be to embaressed to act like they don't care so they will go along with your thinking and may even say something to you like good idea.

just watch for these people to follow you

Bottom line. Don't tell people where you catch your fish.

Danny

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Have a sign made up stating something like..."Rabid skunks have been reported in this area. Please notify (Game wardens phone number) if a rabid skunk is observed". That will definetley get them thinking. LOL

17. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    tell them you fished out of town about 2 hours away and on the note of bank poles we have a guy that lives down by the river all summer long and that is all he is doing is using bank poles t ofish with and that is fine but he uses the five that you are aloud and then has 75 to 100 more under water now that is just as bad. needless to say his boat has gone over the dam a few times.

18. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Take em on a missouri boat ride:angry:

19. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    What I've done in the past is pull in behind them and fish around the back and sides of their boat and simply outfish them .... Nothing PO's them more than you catching fish a few feet from their boat while they are getting squat because they might be where you park your boat but not using the right bait, not hitting the hidden current breaks, doesn't understand the patterns for different times of day or part of the season etc .... I'm fishing where there are no logpiles, just natural rock bottom that was blasted years ago by the Corp to make it deep enough andlater to make an Interstate bridge, rock wingdams and rip rapped side channel areas and it took a lot of time with the sonar and GPS to map the best holes and rock current breaks

I pulled in a 22 lb Flattie not 5 foot off the back of a spotstealer's boat a couple of years ago and haven't seen that clown since .... He saw me fishing there before but he didn't know there was also a nice current break right below his boat from when the blasted out rock for the footings for the interstate bridge pilings

20. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    if you find a secret honey hole just tell us about it and we'll protect it for ya.:big_smile: