Waltonville dam at Rend lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfisherman369, Jul 20, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Went down to Menards in Marion to pick up a load of stuff for the house siding , osb , insulation etc . While the guy in the warehouse was loading my truck and trailer he noticed my b.o.c. hat and asked if I catfished . I said yes and he began telling me that he fishes Waltonville dam at Rend lake and he has been catching alot of flatheads on bluegill there . He said he had one spool him yesterday . I thinking I might check it out in a day or so . Anyone else fishing this area ?

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    one of my favorite spots. real good spot to hit overnight. get out there with some shad and youll be goin to town on em. just be careful of the stumps if your in a boat

3. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    How far south do you guys fish up there? Do you go under the bridge, or just stay around the dam? I've always wanted to fish up there, just never had the guts to do it with the stumps that everybody talks about.:confused2:

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Probably be a good time to try it now... Rend is pretty flooded again as of this last weekend.

5. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The stumps aren't that bad. As long as you take your time and don't run through there at 80 mph. Use your depth finder to find the channel and follow it. Unless your boat is made of cardboard it'll take a hit from a stump just fine. I once watched an idiot with a 50 horse tear straight through the center of the stumps with it opened up. That's just plain stupid. If ya wanna open it up stay on the south end of the lake, don't come up north.
    Oh and as far as the fishing goes...the same goes...stick to the channel.
    Chris

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    a couple years ago the water was as low as i had ever seen it around the north end, and ive been a little gunshy about about it ever since. the water is high right now, so im sure its plenty safe. that channel goes from the pumps to the bridge and on past through the bluegill hole and all the way south. under the bridge is a great spot for flatheads.

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks guys, I'm definetly gonna' give it a try on my next time out. I duck hunt at carlyle a couple of times a year, so stumps are no stranger to my boat. The only thing I hate is when I get stuck on top of them in water where I can't touch.:embarassed:

8. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I will be at Rend this weekend, Hope to get up there and try for some of those Flatheads if I can get my pontoon up there. I was at the lake yesterday and would guess the lake is at record levels for this time of year, it is higher than during the gathering.

9. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've been stuck on top of a stump or two. The best ones are the ones where all you can do is spin in a circle on top of it. One time down at Reelfoot I saw a guy in a fiberglass bass boat with his 200 hp motor opened up hit a stump and go airborn. Man that motor was screaming! Bet he had to clean out his shorts after that.
    Chris

10. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Honestly the only thing that has made me nervous about running through stumps is when ya hit one with the lower unit and you can see the transom flex. I have visions of my transom being ripped open line a can of cat food.
    Chris