walther p22

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by grillking, Jun 8, 2009.

1. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    i have been considering buying a walther p22. anyone who owns or ha owned one give me any input please.:big_smile:

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have never owned one but its on my wish list. I have a friend that has
    one and I have shot his. Great feel and balance and it shoots very well.

3. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    One of my buddies had one, it was a good shooting gun. I also would stay away from these.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...catalogId=10001&content=62303&sectionId=10506

The bad thing is I have heard of more problems with S&W's quality than any other gun maker. The guy who taught my concealed carry class used to do some handgun inspections for a independent company and said he has saw large lots of production runs returned to them before they ever made it to the gun stores (luckily) because of quality issues. If you buy one hope you enjoy it.

4. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I have one and I love it. At the time I bought it, I was shooting a lot of 9mm and 45 ACP and it was getting really expensive. I pretty much just wanted to shoot more so I looked into .22 pistols and the P22 fit my budget just right. Was accurate right out of the box. I've read that lots of people have had problems with misfeeds from the mags but I havent had any. I took my mags apart to see if I could pinpoint the problem and the springs are on the weak side, but I just stretched them a bit and the mags work fine. For the money its a great pistol and very cheap to shoot.

5. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I owned one for about a year. I shot approximately 3000 rounds through it. The pistol was plenty accurate, although I did not like the feel of the trigger pull; kind of long and creepy. The pistol just was not reliable for my tastes. It was better with more expensive 22 ammo, compared to brick ammo. But it was not reliable. Most of the problems were with feeding, but it also smoke stacked, and sometimes failed to eject.

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I agree about the trigger. It is very different. It's a range only gun for me. Not something I'd carry around. Other than that, I've had no problems at all. I've probably put 2000 rounds through mine.

7. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I bought it thinking it would be ok for carry. In my pocket or something. I was wrong, and will stick with my colt 380 for a small pocket pistol.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I bought one two years ago and thought it was a great shooting gun that fit my hand real well. I had a problem with the safety though.. Every other shot would engage the safety.. I sent it back two times but they never fixed the problem...

* I would not recommend this weapon to anyone.

9. trollrap

trollrap New Member

State:
    northern illino
    Bought one in 2001, nothing but jambs. Took it back to the store, they tried some different mags form the other p22's they had... same thing. Sent it in to the factory, I wanted my money back, came back the same way. Sent it in again, came back the same way again. We are 2 months from date of purchase now, and I'm not happy. Finally they agreed to buy it back from me as a used gun. For $100 less. Still not happy. Researched that gun online extensivley before purchase, saw mostly positive reviews. Now I have a revolver. POSITIVE RELIABILITY!! Good luck with your p22, but I recomend a revolver.

10. shotscott

shotscott New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I shot one at a range once and liked it, no issues, only fired two magazines.
    However I have a Ruger government model H. B. and I cant say enough about it. Outstanding semi auto pistol. Good luck. S