Walnut River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by arkrivercatman, May 10, 2008.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Went to the Walnut last night and this mornin. She is a rockin. Whole trees and log jams were floatin down the river.Good day for bank fishin.:big_smile:Fished in Winfield for most of last night. Didnt have any luck so we moved down to Ark City.Fished awhile later and decided to move again. The river was pretty hard to fish with all the current and the trees floatin down.It all payed off at about 7 this morinin.I hooked into a 23 lb flathead.It was a nice fight with all the current dodgin land mines on the river.:smile2:Caught her on a dead perch.Dang batteries on my aerator died.Oh well, she didnt seem to mind.Released her after a couple of pictures and some video. I love to watch them swim off, I hope to see her again someday.:big_smile: I finally beat Ashley!:smile2:She is gonna have to work her butt off to catch up.I will give her credit fot taking the pictures.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great flathead Kyle, congrats!

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    nice flatie hope the river stays stable the fishing will get better

4. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Nice fish! Looks like that new camera is taking some decent pics too.

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice flat Kyle. Congrats. :big_smile:

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    we'll see what they look like when Kyle takes the pics. i think he took dark pics of her fish on purpose :wink::smile2:

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    What a fish Kyle.
    It's been to long since i caught a one like that.I Hope to catch one soon..

PS..Them are some great picture's with that 'new camera.(keep them coming)

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice one Kyle. Did you tell me there was a ramp down there in that area?:smile2:

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a nice looking flattie that you caught there congrats on the fish glad to hear that you caught one I bet he put up a fight, good luck from here on out on your fishing trips and keep the pics coming.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kyle, real nice Flattie, I reckon I'm gonna have to come fish with you one weekend.
    Oh yeah, what J.J. said about your old camera:roll_eyes::smile2:

11. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ashley's getting better with that camera. Her last shot cut the head off of that weird background that was spoilin' the picture of that purty fish. Just kiddin'---great fish brother, thanx for sharing.PS I'm jealous!!

12. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Nice Flattie!! Congrats and thanks for the pics too.

13. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats Kyle on the nice Walnut river flatty. This flood should move the fish up to Winfield. Ya fishing the land mine field is a pain when its moving and your not. Congrats again.

Chris

14. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Awesome fish buddy! Im still trying to get my first flattie of the season. Hope that it looks like that one! Thanks for the pics..

15. SheLuvsCats

SheLuvsCats New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Doesn't that just make you want to go back to the farm REAL SOON........... Those flatties are starting to make their move.:big_smile:

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Went to the Walnut again today. Beautiful day for fishin.:big_smile: Hardly any wind, just a slight breeze.Calm and peaceful.The trip started out rough because the ramp we were going to use is closed for repair, so decided to bank fish for awhile at the spot where I got that 23. I got a real good hit and when I set the hook I felt the biggest fish I had felt in a long time. Just as quick as he came he snapped my line.:angry: That hasnt happened in a long time.:sad2: Tried awhile longer and then decided to move.Went to Winfield and tried a few spots. On the third spot we finally found some active fish. I caught a baby flathead within 5 minutes. Rebaited and decided to try for a channel. Threw into a shaded area next to some brush right off of the bank.Within 2 minutes I had an 8.5 pound channel.My biggest channel so far this year.No more fish for me for the rest of the day but it was still a great day on the river. All fish released to get bigger. There doesnt seem to be as many big cats as there used to be but maybe someday.

Attached Files:

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kyle, that's some pretty water you're fishing there, will it float the Catoon?
    That's a nice looking Channel too. You bringing your boat to Milford?

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks Jim. Yeah the Walnut is a beautiful river. As far as floating the Catoon, yes, most of the river is very deep.However the ramp we used in Winfield is a POS.They should have made it at an angle down to the river. Its perpindicular to the river so it has about 10-12" of mud on it.No kidding. It sucks.

19. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    well how about next week is that good for you? give me a call 620-868-0393
    how about you show me the river i would like to come to wichita with you for 2 days or so and camp out give me a time and i will be there

20. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    That ramp there has been that way for years. I too am not to sure why they didnt make it go downstream. I guess they figured that there wasnt much current there so it wouldnt matter. But yes you are right, it gets so muddy that its almost unusable.