Walnut river

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by PHLIPS4BIGKATS, Aug 21, 2007.

1. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Has anyone done any fishin the walnut river between winfield and Arkansas city? Planning a trip labor day weekend and I haven't heard anything !

2. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Hey Chris, Hope you do well down there. I havent been on the river in a long time down there. We have been doing well at lonestar lake here in Lawrence. In the last week we have gotten 2 over 15lbs. If I dont hear from you again good luck and tell the ol man I said hello.

Darrin

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Thanks, Iwill tell dad hi and hopefully the fish will be biting at the dam or out at the house on the gravel bar.:0a23:

4. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hey Chris, I was in Winfield a couple months ago & the dam was closed due to high water. So high I was hoping it didn't damage it. I fished many nights at that dam as a kid your mention of it brought back good memories, At least 40 years memories.

Keep us updated on the walnut south to Ark city. catch a biggun.

5. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    no dont live in that area sorry

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    thanks I will let you all know how we do.

7. GarH

GarH New Member

State:
    Arizona
    My mother and father had 1/8 interest in a farm on the Walnut River where 4 mile creek joined it until the late 60s when one of the other family members forced the sale of it. I did most of my fishing on the creek within a couple of hundred yards of the Walnut. I sure wish that was still in the family. Did a lot of really good Quail hunting of the farm too.

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    About a month ago I was out there (in Winfield)... didn't catch anything. But did loose an anchor due to my friend losing his brain momentarily:confused2:. We never could get it back, but if the bites slow and you want to search for a new anchor rope and chain... it dropped about 50 yards upstream of where the railroad crosses the river:smile2:.

9. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    So Chris how was the walLnut over labor daY?

10. seans

seans New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fished the Walnut around Winfield about two weeks ago. The fish started biting around 1:00 A.M. My uncle caught tow flatheads around 5 lbs. and three huge Carp. I think the fishing would have been better but a cool front had come through. It was a full moon and we should have been fishing the shallow water for Channel Cats versus the deep water for fat Flatheads. Let me know how you do. I was planning on going again this weekend but I think the weather is going to screw it up again.

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Sean, I grew up on the Walnut, and still hit it pretty hard every chance I get. Take my advice, from late May through the end of September fish the shallow waters for channel cat AND flatheads. That river gets pretty hot, and the flatheads like that fresh cool water coming out of the riffles, full of oxygen. If you find some places just below a riffle, where the water is from knee to chest deep, you will find larger numbers of bigger flatheads than the deep holes, at least until the water cools back off.:cool2:

12. seans

seans New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thank you KansasKatter, I used to fish the Walnut a lot years back. I've caught more Blue's in it than any other river I've fished. Like all rivers it's full of large Gar. What's the biggest flat you've pulled out of there?

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have pulled several between 30 and 40lbs, but have seen a few around 60lbs years ago. I have never caught any blues out of there, have you caught any of any size? I catch a ton of channel that I used to think were blues, but have since learned they were just channel cat, usualy coming off of a spawn, and all swollen up and colored funny.

14. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    well the water level was at normal level and a local caught a 45lb flathead in the hole at the dawm, as me had the youngest of my three kids along so watched instead. But I did get a little break and went island park in town and caught some 6-14in gizard shad right by the bridge. My uncle did some fishing at the farm and landed a handfull of 4 pounders. But did do some fishing at tuttle creek this past thursday right before a storm with 60 plus winds and caught a couple over 20lbs and a handfull under in a 4 hour time frame on shrimp and some of the shad I netted the weekend before in winfield.:0a23: