Walnut River shad - Calvin, why no shad?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Apr 11, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey Calvin, Dad and I were talking the other night and wondering, why are there not a lot of shad in the Walnut around here like other rivers all over the place? The lake is full of them, and they are way down south by the Arkansas, but you never see any around our area in between....any guesses why??

2. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think there are probably more of them than you might realize Jeff. There never have been the numbers of shad in the Walnut that you find in rivers like the Verdigris and the Neosho. El Dorado Lake doesn't have the shad numbers I wish it did either. They are much more sensitive than most fish to the pollutants in their water. The Walnut is much cleaner today than it used to be. But your Dad and I can both remember when you didn't eat fish taken from the Walnut. It only been in the last 40 years that it has cleaned up enough to support shad and some other toxant sensitive species. The Little Nut, on the other hand, was able to avoid most of the oil field pollution and was always better habitat for flatheads and channels. But it just isn't large enough to have many shad. They are there but not in great numbers.
    Most of the shad you see down around Ark City got their start in Kaw Lake, not El Dorado. Are you and Toby about ready to go catch some fish?

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin, You can't even imagine how ready I am to catch some fish! I can't catch winter fish to save my butt. I have tried everything I know, and just can't seem to get the fish in colder water. I was getting pretty fired up the last couple of weeks when the water temp was shooting up, but I am afraid everything is going to get pushed back a few weeks now, with this cold weather and cold rain.

I am glad to see the rain though!

4. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We're still in very dire need of rain. It sounds lilke this weekend's weather is going to produce some slop and that's about it. I was going to go to Keystone but decided to forget it until next week. I guess I'll go hunt turkeys in the snow again. If things don't turn out like they are perdicting, as is often the case, I'll give you a call. Is your number still the same? We might be able to drift up some blues at Kaw.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin, my number is still the same. New phone, same number. Looks like this storm is a good rain maker, the lake should come up a little more again, could do without the cold though! I was thinking about going to Kaw on Sunday, but just not sure what this weather is going to do, not to mention the rain and the water that should be pouring in there.

6. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They shut the water off at Kaw. But with the rain we are getting now water should be pouring in there by Sunday. that might be a good time to catch a boat load of blues. I'm hurting for bait and will need to try throw netting some shad. I'll keep an ey on the weather and if I don't go after a turkey I'll give you a shout and maybe we can go to Kaw.