Walnut River - Calvin, Just how big??

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Apr 17, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin,

Just how big do you think the flatheads are in the Walnut? I know the one I caught last year should have weighed close to 40, and I had at least 2 at the bank that were bigger than he was through the year.

So how big do you recken they get in there? Biggest you have caught/seen?

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Sorry to but in on your thread but i have seen pics back when an old buddy of mine who used to fish it all the time. Down around winfield. He had pics of him catching 50 to 70 lb flats so he said. They looked really big compaired to the ones i have caught. So i would like to believe him. That was like 20 to 25 years ago to and he has since passed away so i dont know about now.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Shawn- Feel free! Not butting in at all. That goes for anyone else familiar with the Walnut as well. I just addressed it to Calvin because other than my Dad, he knows the river about as well as anyone I know, and it is probably a toss up between he and my Dad.

I can remember my Dad bringing home what seemed like monsters when I was really little, but I just can't remember how big they actually were, or if I was just really little and "wide eyed", everything seemed bigger back then! :big_smile:

I have heard stories from the old timers when I used to work in the hardware store in Douglass about 75+ pounders being pulled from the river back in the day, and there is a picture in the Douglass museum of an old flathead that got stuck in the paddle wheel of the old mill that used to be south of town. He was big enough to stop the wheel from turning when he got wedged in there, he looked like he was well over 50 in the picture, but then again I was very young when I saw the picture.

I know I have had limb lines broken, and 10/0 hooks straightened on limb lines, that were tied off to very limber trees, so I would imagine there are some very nice ones in there somewhere.:crazy:

4. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    From what my buddy used to tell me they used to catch alot of big ones in the walnut but i havent heard of anything really big here lately. Plus i dont know of alot of people that fish it either now. But if your getting hooks straightened then i wouldnt be supprised if they are still that big in there.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

itsnt the walnut pretty much what starts off the kansas river system?if so i would imagine they would pretty big in there since there pretty big around this area of the kaw.i have never seen the walnut but here in kansas flatheads get big every where they are found

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Tom,

That is a different Walnut. The Walnut in this area is a pretty small river, relatively speaking, and feeds into the Arkansas River down by Arkansas City.

I don't think it is fished near as heavy as it once was, mainly because you can't hardly fish it from the bank any more, so much of the banks are washed in, and sluffed off. Hard to get anywhere near the water, let alone get a boat in. Plus private ownership puts a pretty tight clamp on it as well.:sad2:

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I can't say anything from personal experience but there was a guy I worked with at the lumber yard a while back who said years and years ago there were a few real big ones taken out of there. I've always wanted to get on it but it seems like alot of it runs through farm land. I bet thats why alot of people don't fish it. Where can you get on it at? Sorry my question is off subject but me and a few buddies have kinda been on a "quest" for a real big one the last two years. We just have a hard time finding places to get on rivers around the Wichita area.

8. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff, in our stretch of the Walnut the biggest I've caught is 65#. I did get a 70# flathead from Muddy Creek. Around 50# is the largest I've caught out of the Little Nut. Claude's dad noodled one at Douglas that weighed 100#. That was back almost 100 years ago, before the oilfields polluted the river and killed everything. There should be some in there that big now in a few spots. They often (once or twice a year) catch fish in the 60# range at the Winfield Dam and I've caught three between 65-70 in the area below the El Dorado Lake. They had to come from donwstream. The lake changed the flow of the river and I don't think it is for the better either. I used to be able to take one swipe of a seine in any riffle between Augusta and Douglas on a summer night and fill a bucket with large, healthy redhorse minnows. Now you can't hardly find a redhorse in the Walnut riffles I use to fish. In fact, many of the places that were once good for seining are now washed out and over waist deep.
    P.S. I'm going to Keystone this wekend. If you and Toby want to come down I think we can catch some fish.

9. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Steve, its not too easy to get permission to fish the Walnut anymore. Most of the old farmer's who allowed people on their land have passed away and the new owner's are very restrictive. Another challenge you might face trying to gain access in Butler or Cowley county is your truck tag;SG. Your best bet would be to go with someone who already either owns some land along the river or has permission. Most of the land owners aren't bad guys. They just have had several bad experiences with people on their land. The Winfield Dam and the river below El Dorado Lake aren't bad choices and they are open to the public.

10. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin, I would love to come to Keystone, but I have to rent a tractor and mow our lot this weekend. Been putting it off for way to long. I am trying like heck to butt up the boss to let me come up to Toronto in May though.

11. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    Grew up in Arkansas City....fished the Walnut a bunch. There is a Public boat ramp and park where 166 crosses and it is a short ride down where the Walnut empties into the Arkansas River. Also there is of public access behind the old Refinery in the Kaw Wildlife Area. Good stretches of water there, or use to be. I get back and fish it now about once a year. Good Stink Bait Water. Lots of big Carp and Flatheads. Sure miss the good ol days.

Rick