Walmarts in Ohio

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Feb 28, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont get it...My local Walmart still has the same junk rods and reels that have been hanging up for several years, they never sell...Seems like the managers would get a clue and stock some quality tackle that would sell.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I actually proposed a list of tackle to a local kentucky walmart that would be attractive to catfish anglers............they basically told me to get bent and that all stores are reqired to have the same items.

3. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Support the BOC sponsors instead, why give your hard earned cash to the Super Stores that don't care. I don't mind paying more to a place that has what I want, when I want it.

4. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    if you ever feel like takin a cruise, shoot up i71 to rt 250 in ashland youll be right at fur,feather and fin. that place is amazing and the prices are reasonable. you wont believe thyr fishin display :big_smile::cool2:

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    FFF does have a great selection. Wally World does not cater to serious anglers anymore.

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, I feel your pain, I keep going to Gander Mtn here in Huber-tucky and they have at least as little catfish stuff as Wally World and they have higher prices... I have a gift card and been there like 3 times since X-mas and still havent found anything to buy with it.... Ill end up getting some clothes more then likely.

Salmonid

7. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Wal-Mart's buyers in Bentonville have no clue what a serious angler wants, so they stock the basics. Low-end rods and reels. A small assortment of hooks, mainly worm hooks and crappie hooks, although I did buy Gamakatsu 6/0 circle hooks there at 6 hooks for $2.38, a heckuva price, and they do have a few Eagle Claw circle hooks. Kahle hooks, which I like for my juglines, I have to order somewhere else.

Walmart does do a limited stocking for locally sought after species, for instance the Walmarts in New Mexico and Colorado stock a number of trout specific items. and the one I went on the West Bank in New Orleans had inshore saltwater specific items. I went to one in Port Clinton, Ohio on the lake, and they cater to walleye anglers.

You are mainly right.....if you want good gear and fishing items, go to the web and order from the specialty places. Wally World isn't gonna change. They got to be the biggest retailer in the world by generalizing their merchandise. Their thing is to leverage the suppliers for the cheapest price, and move it fast. They are in business to make money, not cater to special interests. Let's face it, catfish gear is special item order, and they don't do much of that.

By the way, Walmart's gross profit last year was $13 billion...they know what they are doing when it comes to making money.

8. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    :angry: Well guys atleast they move it every week. And we get to spend more time trying to find what they do not stock. GOOD TACKLE !!!!!!!!

9. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I had a friend in Florida that owned 3 bait and tackle stores .... he was able to buy items wholesale at the best break in price form the wholesalers .... he showed me what he paid for one lure and told me to go to Walmart and see what they were selling the same lure for .... Walmart was selling the exact same lure for 2¢ more than what my friend had paid for it. Another friend of mine owned a very popular bass lure company .... Walmart approached him about selling his lure ... he wasn't given the option of telling them how much he would charge them for the lure, but they told him how much they were willing to pay for the lure for an order of 10,000 of them. He figured his profit would be 5¢ or less per lure ... He refused to sell to them. You can't beat them ....... Garry- ....:angry:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jack, thats why i don't shop at wal-mart for tackle or poles. I mainly run st,croix rods, and i have bought a couple of 6000's from there, but you are better off anymore buying things bulk I think from wholesale dealers when possible. I will pick up an odd and then every so while there, but haven't wasted my time for a few years now going there and depending on them having something i want.:wink: rollo

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I havent found our local WalMarts very receptive to suggestions either. They werent rude about it, just claimed that they have no control over what they stock. I found Gander Mountain very receptive to constructive criticism. I was talking to a clerk about an idea on what and how they stocked, and he says hang on a sec, my manager would like to hear this. Along comes the manager, he listened intently and asked a few questions, thanked me and went about his way. I'll be darned if the next time I was in there, they had used my suggestions. Sure made it easier to find tackle amongst all they carry, and even orderd in some things I had suggested.
    I usually eyeball the WallyWorld stuff while the wife does her weekly shoppin, but I rarely buy much tackle there. Normally I'll go to Gander for my stuff.

12. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    its taken me three years of pestering my local walmarts sporting goods manager just to get some circle hooks stocked!

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Unfortunetly you are right. You can't beat them and for us "normal" guys its hard not to go there for the items that they do carry.

14. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I personally I think Wal-Mart is one of the worst things to happen to this country. They screw their empolyees, they have been banned from some counties in some states and they ship money to China by the boat load but people still flock in to buy there worthless goods. I'll drive a long way and spend a lot more to not buy anything at Wally World but thats just me and if a lot more people did the same then it would go back to the way Wal-mart was when it started, only American made.

15. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    man thats the same way i feel :angry: :big_smile: :cool2:

16. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    they take away from smaller businesses, and really they sell a bunch of crap, i know a few have got good deals on fishing things there but it does not help the local economy.. i buy all my fishing tackle at a small fishing store in dayton, all the guys are nice, they order what ever you want and the prices are good.. they have my business for a long time..

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I ask about castnets yesterday at our local store. The manager said that they didn't sell well last year so they didn't order any more. Duh' if they didn't sell well how come there weren't any left? I told him it was alright since I would be going to Coshocton where they kept them in stock and would get one there. He said they kept them in Coshocton because of the cat fishermen there and the Muskigum river. A whole 27 miles! lmao I quit trying to exp[lain things to them years ago. :roll_eyes:

18. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    THEY HAVE IN LOGAN I SEEN THEM LAST NIGHT WHEN I WAS THERE 3 1/2 &5 FT ONES I THINK THEY WAS $26.95

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    The Waltons aint fishermen, One tried to fly ultralite and look wheres he's at now, next to his falling prices. :eek:oooh:

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    remember its wal mart