Walmart why dont they carry more catfishing tackle?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 8, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The Walmart where I live sets right on the bank of the scioto river...This area is full of catfishermen that would buy there tackle there but they just dont carry the stuff we need.

Like large hooks, large sinkers, large swivels, catfishing rods and reels.

Most of the stuff I see has been there for years and just does not sell "bass fishing tackle"

Why dont the management wise up and start stocking things that would actually sell??

Oh they do have the same dozen tubs of dip bait that has been setting there for 5 years, and has 1/2 inch of dust on it.:big_smile:

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Have you ever taken a good look at some of these catmen. They just dont want that sort hanging out in there store.:smile2:

3. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a problem with Walmart also. They will start to carry a line until they put everyone else in town out of business and THEN back their stock off to nothing. While the mom and pop outfits knew for years that you carry some things not because it moves fast, but because once in a while the people that buy from you need them.

Oh well...

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I actually don't have a problem with it, for a couple of reasons:

1) They are a business and need to cater to the largest purchaser of product. Unfortunately for us, we all know that Bass fishermen spend much more on gear and supplies than we do. It's just the nature of the beast.

2) I don't like Wally World and try to avoid it like the plague.

There are several sporting goods stores in my area, but if I want gear specific to catfishing, I have to go to some smaller, but well stocked, mom and pop type places. I actually prefer that anyway. You get to know them, and they get to know you. It can add up to some deals sometimes. Saying that, I will pimp my local supply houses....R&R bait, and Fishermans Warehouse.:smile2:

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The walmart here does good, they keep large hooks, varied sizes small to large in everything.

6. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    :smile2:Looks like they have same fishing stuff in Ohio as they do in Arizona. good place to get hooks to catch bait :smile2: I know it sucks I have to go long ways to get the stuff I need:angry:

7. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    I think u r right:smile2::smile2:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea I agree, the mom and pop bait stores in my area dont carry much for catfishermen.

I usually have to drive 180 miles round trip to bass pro to get what I need.

And I think my area has more catfishermen than bass fishermen.

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Jack ,
    Got to tell you from the looks of things down here, they are getting out of fishing all together,, really nothing of interest at all in the store and in the last couple of years the fishing section has gone from a full isle on both sides to 1/2 of one side:angry:

Ive gone to buying all my fishing stuff on line, delivered right to the door I buy in bulk and save a ton of money that way you just have to look ahead a little and stay stocked up" wich I really am,:eek:oooh:"
    Puddle:wink:

10. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We're having the same problem around here. Very little in the line of useful fishing tackle. We sit right next to the Wabash River. Have to drive at least 50 miles to get tackle. Each year it gets worse.

11. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i know what you mean. i remember when i was still growing up they had decent items. i bought a 8ft heavy action masters rod there for 25 bucks. still have it also!!! and still works great!! but ya now they really suck at carrying items i need. as was stated in another reply. i do buy some things online..

12. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i know but hmmm funny thing.....most of those guys are some of the nicest guys....its a shame to live in a world thats based upon looks these days....what a shame....

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Mail order and on-line.I don,t need no stinkin Wal-Mart!:cool2:

14. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, I work in the retail Grocery side of business and deal with Wally World every day, its plain and simple, they are a national Big Box store and contracts are negotiated for the least amont of money with very little thought done towards localizing ( which at least Kmart used to do ) Everyone on the grocery business side ( IE all the food vendors like Little Debbies, Pepperidge Farm, all the bread folks etc.) wonders how Wal Mart actually makes any money, they do the stupidest things that do not make any good business sense at the local levels. I might add that the planograms are all set nationally and there is no way to bring something into the store that is not supposed to be there. I might add that Gander Mountain is the same way except local stores have a very small "local" budget to bring in some local stuff, here in Dayton, youll notice the Musky selection is HUGE, not hard to figure out where the local budget went considering the store manager is a great Musky guide.

Like others, I avoid WM with everything I have and make it a last resort stop.

Shop online or find a bait house at one of the local Paylakes that would surely cater to the cat mans needs.

Salmonid

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Walmart is good for baitfishing tackle. A strong Rumor is they want to do away with it all.

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wal Mart fishing department has gone to hell here too. I thought it might jus be because I live in a smaller town, but not the case. Its the same in the big city near by. Sometimes I can find some 7/0 gamas if im lucky. They used to have power pro, but now its gone. I had to get a emergency spool of line not too long ago and all they had was that Cajun crap, what a mistake that was. I did however find a Abu 7000 for $50 bucks not too long ago, which was a complete steal. Like a few have said I jus order online now and im completly happy with that. I dont really like Wal Mart anyways, to many sick people and with the flu going around I cant afford to get it with a auto immune disiase.

17. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    about all i ever get there is bait hooks and small sinkers for the kids lol, they have been carrying 5-7 ought gamak hooks at our local one, you can always get wax worms for bait too other than that there aint much for us:embarassed:

18. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Is it true that Sam Walton started the stores out selling as much "made in the USA" stuff as possible? my memory is fuzzy.

19. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wal-Mart is not there to be a good store or supply the products that people want they are there to profit and that is all. If they can't buy 20,000,000 sets of 8/0 hooks and know they will sell out of them then they won't buy them. Wal-Mart has to buy enough that they can arm twist the manufacturer in to deals they would never give anyone else. If they can't buy enough to get those deals they don't even bother.

20. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Yes. The present 'Walmart' has nothing to do with the original concept.

Mr. Sam would spin in his grave and then explode into an atomic fireball if he saw what has been done to his baby.