Walmart to stop selling guns in a 1000 stores

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Desperado, Apr 16, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cant look at it:

404 Page Not Found
    The page you're looking for is not here. We apologize for the inconvenience.

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Wal-Mart ends gun sales in some stores
    The retail behemoth says it will cease selling guns in about one quarter of its stores due to sagging demand.
    April 15, 2006: 11:42 AM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc.said on Friday it is phasing out sales of firearms in about a quarter of its U.S. stores, calling it a decision based on soft demand.

"As a retailer, we make business decisions every day on what products to offer our customers, based on customer demand," the company said in a statement. "In order for each of our stores to be a 'store of the community' and offer merchandise relevant to that specific community ... we recently made a business decision to no longer offer firearms in approximately 1,000 of our locations."

Wal-Mart (Research) said it began phasing out firearms sales earlier this year but did not disclose the store locations.

"In stores where there is sufficient demand, nothing will change," the retailer said. "We will continue to evaluate our merchandise selection store by store to make sure we remain relevant to the majority of our customers."

Gun violence and Wal-Mart's gun sales were linked in a song co-written by Sheryl Crow in an album released last fall. When the retailer refused to carry the album, it drew criticism for censorship.

The offending lyrics -- "Watch out sister/Watch out brother/Watch our children as they kill each other/with a gun they bought at the Wal-Mart discount stores" -- were part of a song called "Love is a Good Thing."

Wal-Mart defended itself by calling the comments unfair and irresponsible, saying it strictly prohibits selling guns to minors.

The company has been expanding into urban areas and changing its image with a new push into organic foods and running ads in Vogue magazine.

Wal-Mart has 3,800 stores in the United States and more than 2,600 in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, South Korea and the United Kingdom.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/15/news/companies/wal_mart_guns.reut/index.htm

3. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    got the 404 message too

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I think who ever wrote that song with the lyrics saying they bought the gun at a wal mart store must of known about the walmart here in my town. they were shut down from selling guns here a few years ago selling them without registering them selling them to minors i can go on about thier unlawful practices here as to why they were forced to not sell guns. hmm maybe its a good thing they dont. be less people not allowed to own guns being able to buy them.

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    sagging demand by eye! It's all about caving to the liberal agenda!!! :mad:

6. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I try the addy again it works for me. Sorry if you can't open it. But Tulcat posted the whole story.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Walmart isnt caving. Sam Walton didnt make Walmart what it is by caving.
    Walmart, or atleast the Walmarts around here do NOT have the No Conceal Carry stickers on their doors!
    I've often wondered just how many firearms Walmart sells. Their selection isn't the best and isn't near the amount of firearms they used to boast.
    I feel phase 1 was reducing the number of guns. So they tried and its still not worth the hassle in many stores? Stop selling them is phase 2.

Most of that buy guns have 1 maybe 2 people we deal with exclusively in gun buying. I know I dont mind paying 50 or 60 dollars more over a Walmart price on a gun out of the trust factor. I know my dealer will make good anything he sells and is right there taking care of my gunsmithing needs and ordering that hard to find ammo just for me.
    These are the guys that move the firearms month in and month out. Walmart is a home store.

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea I would believe that some areas there may not be a demand for walmart guns. I have never bought one from walmart and never will, but its kinda a shame to see because with all those darn antigun people and politics once they stop caring them its harder to start.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I think what we will find is that the 1000 stores will be centered precisely in those states with the highest Anti-gun contingents.Does K-mart or Target sell guns anymore?I'm like Mark in that if I'm going to make a firearms purchase I would rather go to a professional.He or she knows their product lines unlike the sales person at Walmart.This is also due to the liability factor all gun stores face due to the frivolous law suit folks who blame everybody else.I did go into a new Sportsmans Warehouse in Colo Springs while I was out there skiing last week and was very impressed.They had more hunting and fishing stuff under one roof than I had ever seen in that type of store.If you want to purcahse a firearm this is the type of store to patronize.:)