Walmart specific reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by special liberty, Feb 25, 2007.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I've read several posts that refer to reels made by diferent companies that are unique or made specificaly for sale by Walmart. I find it hard to believe that a reel manufacturer would set up a seperate production line and risk their reputation just to sell reels at Walmart. It doesn't make business sense - the seperate production line alone would eat of their profit margin. I'm not in any way defending the "Everything China Store" but I believe an Abu is an Abu is an Abu no matter where you buy it unless someone can prove me wrong. Curious of others opinions.

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ill admit I shop at walmart for some gear. But I have yet to see a "walmart" brand rod and/or reel. I see shakespeare, and abu, and zebcos and recently Ive seen berkley's attempting a combo as well. Im wondering if its a regional thing.

3. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    What I mean is some folks believe that an Abu 6500C3 you buy at Cabelas is different that a Abu 6500C3 you would buy at Walmart - I have a hard time believing they are any different.

4. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I personaly dont know, but i have herd that the ones from walmart have bushings where the ones from cabelas have berrings

5. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have seen it in the Shakespeare Tidewater reels. If you look at the model numbers they add a "B" or some other letter to designate the difference.

WalMart is a very powerful company. Do not underestimate their power over their suppliers.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think the large retailers can and do have a major influence on what is sold in their stores. If they were order 500,000 abu 6000 reels a year, I bet abu would agree to paint theirs a different color or put a different handle on those reels making them unique to that retailer. I don't think the quality of the reel is any less, the manufacturer does have to maintain their credibility, but the seller also has to maintain theirs. So, yes, I think that some reels are made specifically for one retailer.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That I bought from Walmart 3 years ago. Well I figured it was gettin time for it to be cleaned. I was told by one of my BOC family members to look it up on internet and there should be instructions about how to go about the maintence of it. Internet could not find anything in regards to Tiger Reels. They referred me to Shakespere. I tried Shakespere but still couldn't find any cleaning instructions. It's a closed fased reel so I'm presuming I'll take it apart the same way I do my Zebco 733Hawg and clean and put fresh line on it. I need suggestion on what to use for grease and oil on a reel.My husband suggested WD-40 but I wasn't certain. Also do you suppose Cajun Red would be a good line to put on these reels. It's inexpensive but the posts I've read states it's very tough!:smile2:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is my belief that ABU doesn't cut corners for anyone. The 6000 that you buy at wallyworld is the same one you get a BPS, the 6500 that you buy at Wallyworld is the same as the one at Cabelas and so on.
    As for others I don't know.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would have to agree with the others, I dont think there is a difference between the reels you get at wallyworld or cabelas

10. Willowcat

Willowcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    My brothers and I along with a few friends noticed something about the 5500 C3's bought at Walmart. They usually last about a year or less. The ones you'd buy at a reputable sporting goods store like Academy, Oshmans, Dicks, or Gander Mountain last a lot longer.
    Our belief is that in the production process some gears and parts weren't machined right and instead of scrapping the parts, Garcia sold reels to Walmart that would function but not for long. I'm sure Walmart jumped all over this deal.
    Also my brother noticed that a lot of the parts in the Walmart-sold 5500's were plastic where his other reels had metal parts.

We'll never again buy reels from Walmart. Hey I'm talking 15 to 20 inferior reels bought in that hole till we got wise to em.
    My motto is, if it has moving parts, don't buy it at Walmart. There's always something wrong with it!

Anyone who says that their Walmart purchased reels work just fine, in my opinion, haven't fished with em enough. They will break down...jim

11. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Abu makes reels on an unbelievavle scale.. so many reels, so many models that they "had" to move production to some third world country for the majorty of their reels.
    Some Abu's are/were made in Taiwan for example.. some in China, and some still made in Sweden. I believe there are a couple other countries through the years.. but not positive.

Now, Abu makes reels for certain markets... like someone posted a Midnight blue Ambassadeur.. that was made for the Japan market and was never realy distributed in the US. There are the J-Speeds that never were marketed in the US.. the Pro Rockets are not distributed in the US... these reels are purchased by people (owners of businesses) and re-sold here (at an incredible mark up) because they are some unique models, and some much stronger than some of the like models sold here in the US.

Now, amoung the reels sold here there are different "markets" with in the US.. and yes some of them are different. The thing is a Abu reel bought at Walmart, will have a like reel at BPS and probably Cabelas as well... maybe different pain, different model number (to depict the retailer.. try to buy a CB model anywhere other than Cabelas). But inside, they are basicly the same reel with plastic gearing, metal parts cast from places all over the world and tolerances you could fit a finger in...

IF you dont think Abu makes specific models for specific markets try to buy one of the above mentioned J-speeds, or an Elite Premiere, or 2500 anywhere here in the US. Or try to buy the CB reels at BPS, or the Mag Elite at Gander Mountain...

Sadly, American's like the "impression" of quality but won't pay for the reality of it. So the real "profit" actually IS in producing lower quality reels for places like Mega-marts...Where people will pay $50 for $20 reel insted of paying $100 for a $100 piece of quality machining.

Everyone I've ever met that had a crappy opinion of Ambassadeur reels has never even fished a Swedish model, let a lone put one through it's paces to see what it can do.

And last.. try to do this with a Walmart Abu (see pic)

12. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Oops.... forgot the pic :embarassed:

Attached Files:

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I don't know...I must be doing something wrong...:confused2:
    I have Abu 6000's and 6500's from wally world and BPS and they all have worked great for me. The 6000's are almost 8 years old and a couple of the 6500's are about 5 years old. No notable differences and i've put them all through he!! If you keep them clean,oiled and greased they'll all give you a good lifetime of service. Of course just my opinion and experiences.:wink::smile2:

14. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    As a garcia dealer I can tell you there is a DIFFERENCE in a super-store reel. Crucial is right on. To have a reel made to your specs. you need to have a min.of 250 reels made.

For example the black cat reel is a catfish connection reel only. Or if we wanted to have a BOC reel made 250+ is what we need to order.

And YES I thought about that very thing.( BOC reel made by Garcia???).

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Not to be argumentative, but I just don't buy it. I've been repairing them for some time now. And you do see differences in the part numbers of the reels, but never in the parts themselves. Pawls, level wind gears, main gears, drag washers, bearings, bushings are almost all the same per base model number. The only time they differ that I've seen is from year to year. Even the serial numbers are not used to order parts. They may be cosmeticly different, but inside they are all the same for all the parts I've replaced. Wal-mart may be the devil in disguise, but that doesn't mean the reels they sell are different. Abu-garcia woudn't be very smart to put the name on an inferior product just because someone asked them to. Just my opinion based on my experience.

16. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I guess I am one of those non savvy guys. I own the 6600BCX from Walmart and it was made in China, but I really don't care. I am a casual fisherman and $60 and having the product right now sounded better then $80+ and wait a week or two for shipping. I like instant gratification and that's what my Walmart reel gave me. Plus if you take care of anything properly it can last forever. And if it doesn't then I may consider getting a better model, but for now it will do.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    To Special Liberty’s original question, yes there are specific reels for specific retailers such as Walmart, but the difference has more to do with cosmetics (color, label, etc) than quality.

I think a lot of what else has been discussed here comes down to what the Walmart reels are being compared to.

Are they the same as the Abu’s sold at Basspro, Cabelas, etc? Other than cosmetics or gear ratios, in my opinion the answer is yes, absolutely. That is based partly upon what I see when I work on them, but it’s also based on what Abu has publicly stated.

Are they the same as the high end reels sold in other markets and available in the US from places that specially import them? No. Some of the high end reels such as the Rockets are clearly different models. There is also a big price difference.

I think some confusion comes from how many different models Abu makes. Walmart sells bushing and bearing based models, and so do Basspro and Cabelas. It’s not fair to compare a 6000B (bushing) from Walmart to a 6500C3 (bearings) from Cabelas. And it’s not fair to compare a 6500C3 to a Record series (sold in the US) or to the Pro Rocket models (sold in other countries).

I think the reels we get from Abu in the US are a pretty good compromise on quality vs price for real world fishing applications. Folks purchasing them for casting competitions, status, display case, or because they always want to have absolutely the very best available - those folks won’t be satisfied, but they probably don’t expect to purchase their reels at Walmart or Cabelas anyway.

18. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    i think its fake bacause i go to wal mart and see an abu package for 2008 for 25$ and then i go to acedemy and get an abu (reel only) for 129$

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

I think your trippin' !! I have Garcia reels that came from Wal-mart that are over 20 years old and fished hard and they still work fine. I don't think it's the reels maybe it's the ones using them,did you ever think about that? BTW Wal-mart couldn't care less if you stop buying their reels because someone else will just buy them.

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    The facts are that wal-mart orders them buy the 100,000's and they can sell them for less. Your Joe Blows that run a small op. like C.C. can not order 250,000 reels at a time,so he can't sell them as cheap as wal-mart. If you buy the same reel some place else it just cost more.

It's your money.