Walmart Combos

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by unclebobo, Jan 16, 2008.

1. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Was hoping you guys could help me,Im looking for a good combo in the $25-$30 range was wondering if walmart had any good catfish combos any help would be great THANKS.

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC.. As for a good combo from wal-mart im not sure. I belive wal-mart has a combo closed face reel combo called the 733 HAWG and its about $40 or $50 range.. under that i dont know if I know anything that would be worth your time... by the way it is made by Zebco

3. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    they sell ugly stik's and i think they still sell abu garcia reels.that would bring the price up,but trust me its money well spent!

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i know u can get a penn spinning reel combo for about 50$, and the abu's for about 60$---they also had a tidewater shakespeare combo for about 50$ that looks pretty good!!!some of them also sell the okuma classics reels for about 50$ but u'll have to get a rod also

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Go to walmart and take a look you will find a open face spinning combo from shakespeare there and a closed face reel combo for about that price, they also marked stuff down about this time, So look to build a combo yourself if you can find some markdowns.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ya might also want to check with BPS and Cabela's, they both have some decent sales right know on combos and rod and reels. Not sure where yer at in Mo, but when you go to BPS web-page also look at your Local BPS (which ever is the closer) they do run specials that are from that store only, like if the have over stack and returns, And if you call the store directly (if you find something you like) they WILL take your order over the phone and ship it out. Other wise your order goes through the entire chain at more of a cost. We just ordered a new Spinning combo for the wife that she seen online and ended up getting the same one from the St. Charles store over the phone ordered and shipped for $20 cheaper then the sale on the BPS main site, so don't forget to check that option also, and it was sent out that day. Just shop around a bit. Like said, if you get the Cabela's and/or BPS online weekly thing make sure you also sign up for one of the local stores on-line flayers, alot of times they have different and cheaper prices than the main site.
    Randy

7. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    You might try a pawn shop if you have any in your area. I have gotten some good deals at them. They may have 40.00 on a combo, and you offer them 30.00 and you get it for 35.00. Its best to educate yourself on rods and reels if you haven't yet. Like the other post said you can do this online with bass pro, or cabelas. You can also read some of the threads here on BOC.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea, what Mike said, LOL. Talk them down, never pay them what they are asking for, they will come down.

-Jim-

9. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Welcome to the forums Dusty. I'm not sure on Wal-Marts, but I believe BPS or Cabelas would have a combo pretty close to that price range. I would do as previously suggested and see what they have to offer. The Pawn shop sounds like a good idea also. If all else fails & Wal-Mart is your only option, go see what they have to offer, come back here & let us know and we'll be glad to help you out in making a decision.

J

10. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    wal-mart has a tide water 30 for about 40 dollars, hold around 300 yds of 20 # test

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Our local wal-mart sells the catfish ugly stik for 29.95 and you can top it with a large shakesreare reel for another 20.00. For this kind of money you might do as others have suggested and shop around before buying anything. I have one of these outfitted with 20 lb. test mono recently landed a 47.9lb Bluecat with no problems. :cool2:

12. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just been to walmart looked at their combos they had a berkley fusion spinning combo which i believe had a 7ft rod & the reel i think had line capacity of 20/270 or 25/245.they also had a shakespeare contender the rod was 6'6 or 7 ft spinning reel with a line cap. of I think 20/190.Also had shakespeare tiger spincast 6'6 rod with line cap of 20/115.Thats about all they had here,our walmart sucks lol.Price ranges were 24.96,22.98 &19.84.Does anyone know about these?Thanks a million for your help.

13. Drum

Drum New Member

State:
    McEwen, TN
  14. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    My 27 yr. old son bought the shakepear tiger combo and he really likes it. He has been using it for about 6 months now with no problem. He also bought a Zebco 808 combo that has 20# line at Wally World and he loves it. He can throw it a country mile. He has caught cats up in the 5# range. Good luck in you combo hunt and fishing.

15. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I really appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me,when I tear those record books up i'll give credit where credit is due LOL!!!

16. newtothegame2

newtothegame2 New Member

State:
    hudson wisconsin
    yeah there just fne and chaep

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the boc as for as walmart nothing in that price range

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    for that price range about all youre gonna find is what a few have mentioned. the shakespear tiger combos theise should handel a decent size fish. ive been wanting to get the closedface one for my wife if she ever gets to go but the kids have to grow up a bit for that.