Walmart Abu's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by IL Hunter, May 31, 2006.

1. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Why is it that the Abu's Carried at Walmart are totally different from the ones found at catfish connection, cabelas and etc? I've been wondering about this for a while.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In reality, they are not. Walmart did a special with abu on certain types of reels, and sell at lower prices than other outlets. But unless you purchase one of these "walmart reels", the reel you purchase is an Abu Garcia. The bottom line in any business is to turn a profit and Walmart is very good at that. Demonstrates their thoughts about fishermen to put special reels on sale.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    So does that mean the 6000 I have is junk?

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I don't imagine they are junk, it's just that the Walmart probably sells more Abu 6000's than any other one place so they can buy semi loads of them at once, hense lowering the price.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd be pretty mad if I blew $60 on a reel that turns out to not be worth the metal its made out of.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have used those reels for quite some time and am well pleased with their prefomance! They have never let me down.

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Can always take it back if your unhappy with it.. I have had nothing but 100% success returning stuff, no questions asked, at Walmart... Had to wait in line a few times hehe, but thats about it.. Say what you want about Wally World, but imho, they have a great merchandise return policy....

8. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I've compared the Wal-mart Abu's with one of my older ones, and although they may look similar, the action on the Wal-Mart reel felt quite diffrent. I assume that in order to meet Wal-mart's demands for super low costs Abu Garcia uses lower quality parts. On top of that, every other Wal-mart Abu felt like it was built diffrently, or incorrectly. But I'm sure you didn't waste your money, any Abu must be better than a no brand piece of junk.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Thanks for all the reply's I think I'm going to get my next reel from Catfish Connection. I'd rather pay more for something that is higher qaulity.

10. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Tyler I just bought 3 of the 6000 combo rod and reel they are good reels.
    I have 6 of the old 6000 Abu's I think they are as good as the old ones.
    :0a26:

:cat:

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I got two off of ebay last year and love them.

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    ABU Garcia, doen't cut corners on any of their reels, they are all of the same quality, wherever you buy them!!!

13. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yeah and if ur lucky u can catch them screwing up like i did and get a abu 6600 for 40 bucks hahaha same reels though mine works great and has for the past 2 years

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those Walmart Abu reels are just as good as an Abu reel you buy anywhere..I have a 6500,6000, And a 6600 that I bought from Walmart several years ago. I have fished them hard for several years, no problems at all, and I have never even cleaned or lubed the reels...I bought An ABU 7000 From Cabelas, That only lasted one year.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you no doubt seen a different model, they make a bunch! the only ones ive seen at wallmart are the red 6000's and 5000's. remember, all ambassadors are pretty much the same reel its just things like number of bearings, push-button or thum-bar, gear ratio, and color that make up the different model numbers. (5000/5600/5500-6000/6500, c3, c4, rocket, trophy, etc.) in my opinion a $59 6000 is just as durable as a $80 6500, or even a $120 trophy! the bearings instead of bushings (like in the 6000's) just make for a smoother casting reel. other than that they are the same.

16. sdn73

sdn73 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is that why mine is CL3, instead of just C3?

17. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    There only junk if you treat them as junk so take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you

18. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Ding Ding we have a winner!

If you doubt that a wmart reel has the same internal parts as other Abus (not including the bearings or bushings) go to Southwesternparts and pull up schematics from 2 reels and compare.

They are the same.

It is a myth that wmart has Abu make reels with cheaper parts.

19. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 2 of the red ones and they take a beating and keep on ticking

20. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've been fishing wiht my red Walmart 6000 and I definitely don't feel cheated, but I was wondering for a little while. I trust Abu Garcia to make a good product, but you never know with Walmart. My local Walmart has the Red 5000 and 6000's jsut hanging on a shelf then they have some C3 reels in the case. When I'm out the the river it seems like most of the catfisherman have the red abu's on their rods.