Walmart Abu combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Ictalurus Punctatus, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Saw a Abu 6000 combo on a graphite rod at Wally World the other night for $69.00. I know that I love the reel, but I was wondering about the rod. Anyone had any experience with this particular combo?

Jon

2. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I have one of these combos that I use alot. It has held up well. I have not caught anything over 20lbs on it but have caught many in the 20lb range. Seems to be able to handle it. Remember to use your drag and should hold up good. I have had mine two years now. Hope that helps.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Bought one of those a couple weeks ago.Like the reel but was rather worried about the rod if I ever gotlucky enough to hook a decent fish,so I put the reel one a little heavier rod,. Then took the rod and put a lighter reel on it.
    So far no complants..

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    These combo's include a Berkley Lightening Rod if I'm not mistaken. The reel is great and the rod is.......shall we say.....OK but not great. They will handle a fairly good size fish with some fancy fish fighting skills but, I don't put much trust in them.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The rod makes a great flippin' stick with a 5000 Abu on it. Didn't like it for cats that much though.

6. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    ive got 2 of those combos, and they work great for smaller cats, i use them for channel cats with 20 lb line.

Mike

7. KG_CHawkX2

KG_CHawkX2 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hard to beat a 6-6 medium heavy ugly stick, I have 6 abu's that i use for everything from cats to flipping whole baits for dolphin offshore, all around great gear.

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I keep away from combos unless it was VS reel mounted on a Lami stick. Seriously I know of some guys that bought them and the rods were okay. Nothing great compared to off the shelf rods.

9. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 3 of these combo's with the Berkley "lightning" rod Medium-Heavy action from Walmart. I have caught cats up to 40 lbs (in a lake, with no current) with these. I have "tested" these combo's and they are "worthy"! I dont use them in the Mississippi, because of the weights I use for current, but they would probably do fine as "drifting" rods (light weight) I would put 12-50 power-pro braid on them for the river and give them a whirl!:wink:I have caught several hundred cats on the 3 that I have and they havent missed a lick! I currently use 17lb stren mono on them for the lake ( I would think power-pro would be fine, if you didnt try to over-tighten your drag). Great price/ product!

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Its a nice combo but I dont like the rod because its not 2 piece.

11. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I've bought a couple of em. Pretty fair price I reckon and they're okay I guess, all-in-all. But I ended up taking the 6000 off of one of them and putting it on an M/H Ugly-Stick Catfish rod. I like that combo a lot better and I'm probably going to do the same with the other one.

Dave

12. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    my father-in-law caught a 47# flathead on one of those Wally World abu 6000 combos and it did purdy good, better than i expected. i knew the reel would handle it, but i wasn't sure bout the rod.

13. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana

Dave, I have four of the same setups hard to beat them Ugly-Stick Catfish rods for medium size cats(big cats in my case.LOL). Its well balanced with the 6000.