Walmart abu 7000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by countrycat15, Sep 24, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    at walmart they had an abu garcia 7000(not c3 just 7000).i was wondering has any body purchesed this reel from wally world, and if so how well does it cast ,and handle big fish.im am going to get one when i save up enough.also is there any difference in the reels at walmart and the ones in bass pro and places like that.

2. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Hi. The 7000 is not a bad at all. But they only have and go up to 17 lb test line. The reels that wal-mart gets from the suppyers are made diff. than the reels that you can get from a bait shop or bass pro. You will have to return that reel to wal-mart when it breaks and it will. They make the reels for wal-mart and K-mart with mostly all plastic sleaves. It might have 1 or 2 bearings in it and 4 plastic sleaves in it to . Where you can get them at the bait shops and or bass pro they will 4 bearings and only 1 or 2 sleaves in it witch is a much better reel and will last a lot longer. Just remember visit your local bait and tackle shops because they are a dieing breed and might not be around someday because of wal-marts and K-marts. I use to own a bait and tackle shop up in INDY a while back but i still get a new Catalog every year and in this years and last i,m showing a garcia 9000 with 20 lb test line and garcia 10000 with 20 lb test line these are the gold series reels they are a little pricey ( my cost 110.00 ) so that would make it around 150.00 at the bait shops. But would be a lot better reel for what you want to do with it. well I hope this helps you. Good Luck. The Bigger The Bait The Bigger The Fish

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive' got one also and so far so good had it for about two yrs and i've got it spooled wth 25 lb ande on the 12 footer it gets way out there i have heard that the ones from W.M. are made in china mine said so thats why their cheaper than at bass pro

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Got two that work flawlessly. High speed reel is great when having to bring in more than one pole. For the price they are now it would sure be hard to pass up!

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The stated reel capacities on the reel are for how much line that size the reel will hold, not the highest weight test the reel will hold. The 7000 that wal mart sells should not give any problems with 25 or 30 lb test line on it, it just won't hold as much as it will with 17 lb test. Check the box, if they have one, look at the specs and compare those to the 7000C if you want to know the difference. Cared for, the reel should give years of service and any decent reel repair shop should be able to make repairs and get parts.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv got 3 from walmart 2 of them two years ago one last year and will buy more if they still cary them when i get the money , sorry catnabbin , but iv never had a problem with none of mine . walmart maybe cheaper made as you say but it has abu's name on it , find it hard to beleive abu would allow their name to be trashed by any one . i use 30# big game line and as i said have never had a problem . in my opinion there as good as any 7000 you buy in any bait shop . only difference will be price , i paid $99. for each of my first two , caught the 3rd on sale for $79. and plan to buy many more .

good luck

7. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    the abu 7000c3 at basspro is also made in taiwan. (china) I e-mailed abu garcia and was told that all the internal and external parts are the same. I was also told that the reels still must pass their quality control in sweden. It's just that taiwan has much lower labor costs. Mine all work flawlessly.

Eric

8. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    About the best thing going from wally world for catching fish are their $19.96 Shakespear TIGER rod and reel combo's. I have 5 of them and I have caught 350 to 400 lbs of cats myself this season ranging from 8 lbs to 45 lbs. Not really huge fish but ALOT of FUN!!!

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Have you opened them up for cleaning and lubing? If so, how many bearings did they have?

10. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hi Kenny,

Used to be, may still be.....the 7000 was/is a bushing reel as opposed to the 7000C3 being a bearing reel. Years ago, the 7000 was the preferred Catfishing reel in this part of the country due to the greater tolerances in the bushing reel. Lots of "diehard" catfishermen preferred and still do, the 7000 instead of the 7000C3 due to abuse and rough treatment of their equipment, in the mud, thrown around in pickup beds and generally severely abused on the banks of rivers, etc. while fishing. Yes, the C3 will probably outcast the plain 7000, but not enough to make any difference in fishing for cats, at least the way I fish. The closer tolerances in the C3 means more maintenance and gentler handling. Believe it or not, some like to "just fish" and not have to worry about the more careful handling and cleaning of their equipment. I am not one of those, so to speak as I like to care for my fishing equipment. But still yet would prefer the bushing reels and not the bearings for most of my catfishing if I were still using the Abu's. Most of my serious catfishing is done with good old USA mad Penn Peer 209's. I have a "new" in the box, Abu 7000C3 made in Taiwan and that is most likely where it will remain. Bottom line IMO the current Walmart Abu 7000 is probably a good and decent reel and will be a great reel for your catfishing needs. So much for the rambling and take care. Have a great day and enjoy your new reel when you decide to make the purchase.

Larry (polecatter)

Keep On Castin.....Cattin!

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    if it aint broke dont fix it .

havent had a reason to open it up , it works fine the way they are . i havent had in trouble casting or bringin in big cats , if you adjust the brake where you want it you will be happy , set the drag also , i can cast mine if i like but i fish from a boat and have no reason to cast that far , iv brought in a 50# flathead on 30# big game line this year and the reel seemed good enough for that

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have several Walmart Abu Garcia reels, they have lasted just as long, and some longer than the Abu reels I get from bass pro..Get one, you wont be sorry.

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    thanks,great post's guys,i plane on getting a new setup when i save up enough,it's gonna be a walmart abu 7000 on a bass pro 11 foot heavy action catmaxx rod.what do yall think about this combo?

14. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Hi Ok we will try again. (LOL) garcia is not made by garcia anymore just like zebco is not zebco anymore. They are (Pure Fishing Co.) witch is owned by Berkly and Berkly has bought more than one company in the past. If in your town they have a Pure Fishing Show some where go to it and you will see all the companys that berkly owns. AlThough they still have the garcia and zebco name on it there not made by them anymore. But like most items today the all come from china or tawan .. Not to many things or if any are made in good ol usa.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You don't have to use a Hummer when you can catch a catfish with a ford. Wal-mart products are okay... just can't brag on spending big bucks to get the item. LOL

16. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Personal opinion here, but I find it hard to spend $100 on a abu 7000 when I can get a Penn 209m for $50 and it will last forever. never have problems casting or boat fishing them.

17. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    I like penn reels and own a couple from when they were made in the good ol' u.s.a. they're dependable and built like tanks. However, if I am fishing off the bank and have to make longer casts I like my 7000c3's, I have three of them. They will out cast my penns every time. If I am fishing off a boat, bridge , or pier though, or anywhere in saltwater, i like my penns. I have two jigmasters, one is the 500, the other is the 505 high speed. i have owned them since the early eighties and they are still going strong. I think that penns/abu's are both good reels with their own unique advantages.

Just my opinion,
    Eric

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have not had any problems with my Abu 6000 that I bought from wal-mart I have land some nice fish with.

19. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Got a red 7000 abu from WM 8 yrs ago and still goin strong fer 99$.Also got a c3,big game and one more red(used)-all 7000's and love em.Penns are great too,got two of them along with three 6000 and two 6500's.Very low maintinance.-So polecatter,whattcha gonna do with that c-3 in the box?

20. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i dont want one but you can get one if you want and it must be a good reel if the people on the boc say it is caus they dont lie...well at least not most of the time lol:tounge_out: