Walleye texture

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by vetrock, Jun 27, 2008.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I cleaned a walleye after keeping it on ice for 24 hours. The meat's texture was almost doughy. Very friable. Is that normal? This is the first time I have cleaned one. I tried to filet it, and the meat would just tear and ball up.

2. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    I don't think I would eat it after that long on ice. It doesn't sound like the meat is good. It should be firm and flaky and easy to fillet. I don't think I would risk it but thats just me. :0a26:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The best quality of fish is as soon as its caught ,or at least while its still alive,I clean all mine as SOON as I get in from fishing,soak in saltwater overnite in fridge and if not cooking then ,I freeze them in a ziploc with a teaspoon of seasalt to the half gallon or quart bag and fill with clean water they stay fresh over a year this way.

4. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    when you put fish on ice you should keep the water drained off. if the gills when you clean the fish are still red in color,the fish is still good.

5. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I caught another walleye and had pretty much the same experience. I cleaned him about 4 hours after I pulled him outta the water. Kept him on ice til then.

They are much softer meat than cat or perch which is what I usually filet.

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    congratulations on catching the walleye's.one thing i will throw in is if you eviserate and remove the gills before you put the fish on ice it will keep longer. Rocky i agree with you that they just have a different texture than other fish. i fish beaver lake a lot and if it were down to normal right now i would be out trolling the main channel for crappie. i know an excellent techique for catching big summertime crappie on beaver. the trouble is that i have to gut them and gill them and immediatly put them on ice or the flesh will get mushy and spoil very fast.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    so brother i don't supose you want to give up a little info on this hot walleye bite you've got goin on?:smile2: just jokeing even if you want to share remember this. the url for this site starts with World Wide Web.:roll_eyes:

8. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I caught them on the lower saline. They aren't plentiful here by any means. I have caught 3 in the past 2 years. They were 1-3 lbs.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    any walleye i have ever filleted have had really firm flesh. almost anytime i fillet one it's still alive. if i have a fish in the basket that dies, i'll fillet it and throw it in a ziploc in the cooler.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think I gotta side with Jordan on this one ,Rocky. I think the problem lies in that the walleye are dead on ice when you fillet them,I have never filleted a fish that has been on ice for that long of a period.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    walleye are one of those 'wierd' fish i think, kind of like trout. when you gut a trout and skewer it, then cook it over coals by a streamside fire and it's still trying to breathe, man that's some of the best fish you can get. take that same trout and hook it to a stringer all day and it will be mushy and weak flavored. walleye are the same way. they deteriorate rapidly once dead or close to dead. fillet those suckers as soon as you catch them and throw them on ice in a bag, and the meat will stay really firm. same for sand bass. everything's better when filleted alive! :wink: