Walleye rods?

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by kat buster, Jul 6, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    What is a good ride size for walleye. I was thinking about a ugly stick with I think a meduim action (6-15lb) line. I was thinking about spider wire 10lb steath for my line. Is this to much or not enough?:roll_eyes:

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    My walleye rods are 6'6"-7' with a medium action. I use 6lb-8lb mono line.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i agree. I basically use the same poles i use for bass fishing ponds. But i don't troll. i guess if you were trolling for 'eyes you might need something heavier. But i use 6'6'' medium action bass pro bass rods with 8 pound Stren. and spinning reels

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I like a limber tip section for walleyes as they can be real light biters.

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    I use a lot of Berkley Bionix rods for my walleye poles. I absolutely love those rods. They have a lot of backbone through about 3/4 of the rod but the tip action is great. You can really detect those light biters.

6. simko

simko New Member

State:
    Ontario
    i work at a fishing store , most of the guys who get walleye gear (jigging etc) use high module graphite rods, like quantum PTI rods, st croix avid, legends etc.

you want a really sensitive rod, which is why staying away from an ugly stik might be a good idea.

a one piece rod will give you better action, and better sensitivity, but sometimes a 2 piece is better for people and size limits,

if you want to use an ugly stik, braided line might not work out too well, as it can cut and damage the cheap guides on the rod.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I just use a regular ol' bass pole with a spinning reel and 6-8 sometimes 10 lb. test line Triilene "red box". I usually catch walleyes -while trying for bass- on nightcrawlers and as of lately crickets! I guess even big fish like a snack, huh? :big_smile:
    Usually a 6'6" L power/M action rod and a good quality spinning reel.

8. fitzytbone1

fitzytbone1 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    When I used to go to Lake Eire all the time I just used two Zebco Rhino Rods. Couldn't tell you how many walleyes those things have pulled in. They were 6' and perfect for being out in a boat on the lake. Some of the best fish I have ever eaten in my life too!!!