Walleye in pond

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i fish a pond that is about 5 acre and there is walleye in it what are some baits i shoud try

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    TRY USING JIGS TAILED WITH A MINNOW OR USE ANY OF THOSE FAMOUS WALLEYE RIGS.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i've fished a pond here with walleye a few times and I usually catch them doing about the same things you would for bass. crankbaits work well, try the Rapala X-Rap. spinners can produce. And walleye can be suckers for a leech, nightcrawler, or shiner suspended before a bobber.

4. STEVECAT

STEVECAT New Member

State:
    Huron Oh
    Luke, Ill try to help you but your discription of the pond ,what time you fish-+ what your using for tackle and the bottom structure left alot to be seen,((these are KEY to catching walleye anywhere. ))
    I am no AL Linder but stocking saugeye in ponds and living 100ft from erie has taught me a few things abought eyes.
    note - most of the time walleye in ponds are saugeye (a hybred of walleye and sauger) and they do better in ponds and small lakes than walleye or sauger,not to say that in any cirtain pond sauger or walleye cant exist.

Im sure you dont give a SHT about the details and just want to cath fish so this is the best I can give you.

1st. fishing any crank bait during the day is a waist of time.
    2nd . jigging (very slow) in the deepest part of the pond 1ft off the bottom with a small jig head and minnow (using a bobber) will usually get results.

3rd night fishing
    unlike bass , in eve. night or early morning walleye or any type of eye prefer to troll for prey, (unlike a bass or catfish that prefer to ambush a single prey)at night walleye prefer hunting rocky shallows and inconsistant structure where large numbers of bait fish gather, they can scatter and dissoriant the large numbers of baitfish ...at this point they pic off the ones that stray,
    this is the time to use your crank baits - especially early spring and late fall.

sanapsus

if the pond has prodominate mud floor or even gravel = fish a jig with minnow & bobbey at different debths 1ft /2ft/3ft off the bottom in the deepest area of the pond and try different colors of jigs during the day.(youll find them )

if the pond has any shallow rocky area - or shallow that bluegills spawn in or baitfish try to gather during the eve. use your crank baits (rapala, husky jerk,or shad rap) in the evening.

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    In my local waters I have the best luck for walleye on a dixie spinner with a night crawler....hot pink or blaze orange.....but I carry all colors.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i went out the other night and caught three, two 3 pounds, one 6 pounds. got all three on a 5" kalin's grub. coler was blue pearl with black flecks. i fish the jig on a black screwball jighead that weighs 1/8 ounce so i can fish it slower than i could with a heavier one.
    depending on the size of your pond, use minnows on floating jigheads.

man i wish i had a pond like that! hahahaha