Walleye, how do you catch them?

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by bnt55, May 17, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I am going to try out a new lake near me and I hear they have a decent population of walleye, how should I go about fishing for them in a new lake? what would you do?

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Hey Bill. What lake are you fishing? I grew up in the Tri-State (Rising Sun, IN) and did alot fo walleye fishing. This time of year I would troll crankbaits on the flats. Study a topo map, if you find a nice big flat in 8-14 feet of water with a hump or other structure, fish it hard for a while. When you are trolling those cranks let out enough line that they bump the bottom occasionally. You can get alot of reaction strikes when that crank comes off the bottom. If the water is real warm (above 60 degrees) you might need to try some deeper points. These would probably be more effective if you cast. Try cranks, jerkbaits, and leadheads with curly tails. If you try this and still can't find anything, drift wormharnesses on bottom bouncers. You can actually try this first, sometimes they will hammer them. What lake you going to? If I've been there I will try to give you more info!

3. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    whenever i fished for walleye i always used either tiny rat-l-traps or some sort of shad rap

4. gunner243

gunner243 New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Hey guys I new here and live in Northen Wisconsin. We have eyes all over here. You can catch them in maney ways.
    Jig and minnow, leach, or night crawlers wokk well. You can use Rat traps or slip bobber rig. I have Caralinea riged for them in the past. Up here are eyes are in post spawn and are being found over rocks in deep holes where the rocky shores are. Some are finding smaller eyes in the wood and cribs at dark to 1 or 2 in the morning.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Generally speaking you won't find them shallow except sometimes at night.

They do like structure, but that can be a wide variety of things. From a spot on the bottom that has a bit more gravel, less silt, a weed bed edge, or a sharp drop off.

Remember that while surface temps may be in the 60's, down 12 - 16 feet its a lot colder than that. So I would keep your presentation fairly slow.

As gunner said most live baits work very well.

Crankbaits can be good for finding where they are holding. Then slow drift or trolling motor along the structure once you have them located.

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    only way i've ever caught walleye was bobber fishin shallow flats at night with bluegills, trying for flatheads.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    First, I'd fish at night using white twister tails, deep diving Rapalas, and small plastic swimbaits. make sure you are fishing slow and near the bottom as that's where walleyes are.

If you have a boat, try trolling!

Good luck!

8. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    As a beginner I would buy some jigs. 1/4. 3/8 once. Get some different colors to play with although I only use 2 colors, (white and a dark color like black or purple) Then find the bait fish that is the main forage to the lake you are on and start experimenting. I would start by fishing on top or just off steep drops, along visible points or on top of rock piles or humps if you find some. You can also cast and reel back with jigs and try some gulp instead of live bait. They are so versetile the sky is endless.

Everything the other guys said will work too but I don't think you want to get that in depth for the first time out. Walleyes are one of the hardest fish to catch and one of the easiest to catch. I think that is why many people up north here like them so much.

Good Luck.

9. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to Da BOC Gunner. If there is one thing that a CHEESE HEAD knows beside da Packers it Glass eye fishin. I would troll a june bug spinner with a fat ol crawler or a 3in. mimmow near inlets. Good luck, if you do well enough for a fish fry call collect. NOTHING better then walleye.
    smokey

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I would like to troll for them, using the above mentioned techniques what water depth should I concentrate on? Thanks for all the replies! My wife has never had walleye before and I have had it once or twice and it was awesome! now if I can get her addicted to walleye fillets then maybe I can get more time on the lake!!! :smile2:

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LOL, Get her hooked won't be a problem if she like fish at all......... over here southern Illini right now I have been putting the"stash" in the freezer using more live bait than not, matter o fact the last 3 trips were medium to larger minnows and leeches pulling them sloooooooooow on the bottom, not at all saying that is what they are doing on your water, just another way they have been eating over this way.

12. gunner243

gunner243 New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Last night we took off for the lake at 11pm last night for eyes.The lake is about 3 minutes for my place, not hard to get to. lol. We used a 1/4 ounce prototype jig and a minnow and plastic type minnows. We sat off the brush piles jigged them back to the boat. There was 3 of us and had are limit of 3 fish in the boat and back on the trailer at 130 am. Had a good night for around here. All the eyes where from 15 to 20 inches. just for table fare.

13. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I also thank yall for the help as I would like to catch some wallies that are plentyful on Bull Shoals, but I have never ate one.

14. 350degree peanut oil

350degree peanut oil New Member

State:
    NC
    The most productive method for catching walleyes here in our deep mountain lakes (western NC) is vertical jigging at night under lights. They're up shallow in the early spring, but after about May, they're all suspended out in the channel following schools of shad. I usually catch them about 20-30 feet down over deep (50-100 ft) water. Hang out some lanterns or floating lights, that'll bring the shad in. Then vertical jig with Rapala ice jigs or 3/4 oz. Hopkins shorty spoons. You also usually catch some slab crappie, white bass, and the occasional trout or catfish.

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks for the info!!! Got a lake near home with a good population of eyes up to 9-10# in it. The depth of the lake you described is same as the one here. I will be trying to put the info to good use. This lake has a lot of vertical cliffs for shore lines,and well defined steep points. This should make them easier to locate.

16. 350degree peanut oil

350degree peanut oil New Member

State:
    NC
    The cliffs and points are good spots to start looking. Sometimes it takes a while for them to come in to the lights, sometimes it doesn't-but they'll be there if there are any around. I try different depths and keep up with how deep I'm jigging-say a rod length of line plus 13 pulls from the reel to the first eyelet, for example. Then when you catch a fish, you can go back exactly to the depth you caught it. Some nights you can catch them from 5' to 35', and some nights they're at one depth and won't go up or down more than a couple feet to hit a jig.

17. Tros

Tros New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I don't pretend to be an amazing walleye fisherman, but around here I always have good luck when I find a sharp drop-off, with large rocks. A perfect location is sharp drop-offs with rocks changing in size... If it's got additional cover, all the better.

As far as lure selection, for whatever reason I've had great luck with spinner baits.

18. LUNKERCAT

LUNKERCAT New Member

State:
    north dakota
    I DIDN'T KNOW SO MANY CATFISHERMAN WERE ALSO WALLEYE NUTS. I GUESS WE NEED SOMETHING TO FISH FOR WHEN THE CATS AREN'T BITING. THINK OF A WALLEYE AS JUST ANOTHER OPPORTUNISTIC CARNIVORE LIKE A CATFISH. YOU WILL FIND WALLEYE WHERE YOU FIND THEIR FOOD. WIND BLOWN POINTS, CREEK MOUTHS, WEED BEDS, ROCKY/RUBBLE ISLANDS ARE ALL GOOD. DEPTH VARIES FROM DAY TO DAY. ALL THE PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED PRESENTATIONS WILL WORK. BEST BET IS TO TALK TO LOCALS WHO FISH YOUR LAKE AND FIND OUT WHAT IS TAKING WALLEYES AT THAT TIME. GOOD LUCK.

19. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got lucky one night while trying for cats. This one hit a med. size bluegill and never made a run on my clicker. DSCF1287 (2).jpg

20. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I fish a little different situation where I'm at. We have a lot of shallower lakes, stocked with 'eyes. In the one that I fish most often, these stocker walleyes will hang out in the weeds, and hit baits that come by. I'm most successful either trolling the weed edge, dragging a lindy rigged leech or minnow, or tossing out a slip float and letting my leech do its thang.

The thing with walleyes is that every lake is different. You have to put in your time to figure out a pattern, and even then it's hit or miss. They are fun and frustrating at the same time... sorta like big cats. They don't fight nearly as hard, though.

Another way to approach it: Hook up a bullhead and go flathead fishing. One like this might come along and steal your bait.

[​IMG]