Walleye Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Rockjumper, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Anyone doing any walleye fishing? I have been fishing, just not catching. Friends that are with me are catching a few.

2. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I'm heading out tomorrow to hopefully catch some walleye. Wish me luck! I have a feeling I'm gonna need it!

3. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Good luck Jason, All the walleye I have seen being caught is on jigs. Various colors. I think live bait would be the ticket. I have been trying to catch some creek chubs with little success. I have to try some "old reliable" spots for next weekend. Let me know how ya did.

Paul

4. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Well, I just got back from fishing. Me and my buddy caught a few small walleye and a couple mudpuppys. I hate those things! He also caught a real nice walleye. It was really fat and about 27 inches long. I hope to get out next weekend as well.

5. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Mudpuppies! Tis the time of year for them. I bet you caught them on worms. 27"inch walleye, wow, nice fish. About a 5-6 pounder. I can't wait for next weekend myself.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    the_nis - Good job on catching the Walleyes! 27 incher SWEET! I took the wife and two youngest daughters over to a local pond for about an hour before dark this afternoon. We caught 13 Bluegills, a few that were pretty husky, would have made great Flathead bait later in the year. I know catching gills don't compare to lunker Walleye but it was nice to be out on a nice winter afternoon and get on the 2006 fish board.

7. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Well,what was ya catching them on?

been a few caught here,mostly on jigs,haven't caught any myself but did manage to pull in a few smallies and a lrg mouth.Nothin terribly big but was still fun.

Great job on the 27 incher,i bet he felt like pullin in a tree stump.....LOL

8. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Well, like I said, it wasn't me that caught the 27 incher. I wish! We were fishing with creek chubs on the bottom and we were doing a little jigging also. He caught the big one while jigging a white sassy shad. They're made by mister twister I think. It was nice, at least 6 or 7 pounds.

9. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Jason,

Are you catching your creek chubs from deep holes in creeks, ponds or catching out of the river. I am having a heck of a time catching any. I have a couple more spots that I havne't tried yet. I managed to catch one. Maybe he was the only one there and his buddies went south for the winter!LOL.

10. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I am finding them in shallow holes like I would in the summer for some reason. From what I understand, they are still in the shallow parts of the creek because of the mild winter we have had. I would try to set some traps up for them maybe for a day or two. You're bound to get some.

11. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Makes sense to me, thanks Jason, I will give that a try.

12. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Paul, yeah I usually leave the traps in a little longer than usual this time of year just because the fish are sluggish. I could seine for them too but I really don't feel like getting in the cold water even if I have waders on. Hope this helps!

13. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I think that was my problem with the one spot I had a trap in, I didn't leave it there long enough. Really good spot and never got skunked till last week. I am going to throw them out tomorrow and check friday afternoon and maybe saturday morning. I have a really good shiner pond that I have broke the ice and put a trap down and done good. I havne't tried it yet this year. I am gonna give it a try also. Sometimes catching bait is just as much fun as catching the big stuff!

14. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    just caught a few small ones,on Mepps lures :rolleyes:

15. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I've noticed lately that chubs are hit and miss on certain days but the jigs such as chartruese and 3" power grubs are my bait of choice working the highland park dam.

16. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Ed, Tip those jigs with minnows making sure your jig bodies tail curls down. Worked for me all 16 years I spent in the U.P. of Michigan. Yes the Mepps worked well also....so did using a slip bobber w/minnow. Good fishin in 2006.:)