walleye experts need help

Discussion in 'Walleye Fishing' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jan 26, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok there are walleye in the lake i fish. and some nice ones. heres the problem.

i aint never caught a walleye in my life. i read a few articles about it and need some help. i want to learn to troll for them. i have a boat ect just no knowladge on the fish.

far as i can tell from what ive read troll on shallows that have dropoffs with worm or minnows on a rig with shiny spinners ect...

any help would be appreciated. i want to be able to have a few wally fillets for next winter. thanks. reps for help!

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    hey Jeremy! from what u read on catching walleyes should definently work. trolling cranks. lindy rigs. jigging with minnows. all works. it's all trial and error. the best info I can give u is talk to the locals that fish for them. that's what I do on my favorite lake. hopefully someone has the heart to spill the beans.

good luck brother!!

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I am in the same boat. Lake full of Walleyes and I have never fished for them in my life. I have caught a couple of small ones but strictly by accident, while fishing for other species.
    The last local I asked what he caught all the walleye on came back with this very nice reply. EAGLE CLAW!!! Then loaded his boat and went left. I was putting in a the ramp when he was finishing up loading and saw him load a cooler with some very nice sized Eyes. Just thought I was ask and boy was that not a good idea. He acted like i was asking about his wife or something...:angry::smile2:

Sure would be nice to learn how to catch some for the table. They stock South Holston pretty heavy with them.

Thanks
    David

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a buddie of mine said he takes a treble and wraps it with a worm while drifting for cats and pics up one now and then. but i want to target them.

5. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    i too am without a walleye in the creel. however i have never really targeted them either. but they are on the list!! and soon i will land a trophy..(cpr)..i too have been doing alot of reading on the matter, and personally think that first and formost we need to understand the nature of the beast....... they are nocturnal predators....like most fish, they like their structure=appearantly they seem to prefer the rocky drop offs and rocky bottoms as well.. from what i've read and heard they are bottom dwellers (lindy rigs and bottom-bouncers are used if trolling) and a stinger might also be helpful..jigging off the bottom is also supposed to be good method for catching them..and i read somewhere that orange is a good color to use because it stands out more to them (don't know how they would know that, but i'm not the expert) i've known people to catch them floating a crawler about a foot of the bottom and they were decent fish. if all goes well i'll be setting out after them and pike through the ice tomorrow..the best thing you can do is try, and again ask the locals and hope you don't get some <A href="mailto:A$$#@^^&**(())&^)%%":<><>$%">A$$#@^^&**(())&^)%%":<><>$%# and his $@Q#Q#^$%# repies!!!:0a18:

6. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    im here near lake erie walleye capital of the world. troll slow or drift. fish deep during the day on top at nite.cuz daylite hurts thyr eyes. some guys have luck with shad or perch colored rattle traps but my favorite has always been a schartruse colored erie deary ( look up in catulog cuz it might just be a local lure, dont know). put some nite crawlers in a bucket u water and thyll get nice big and juicy, put one on lure and go for it. if you got a fish finder lookfor high humps in the bottom as thy will be on the edges of them . :big_smile: :cool2: other good colors are silver,gold and blue

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya seems like the articles ive read all say that they sit behind dropps and humps.

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I tried ordering some Erie Deary's from Bass pro website. It said they were back ordered. But I ordered anyways, hoping they would come one day. A week or so later I got a reply that said they would not be available. :sad2:

9. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    i have never caught a walleye but i found out we have them in our tellico and chillhowee lake and i really want to try for a few this year .......everything i have read on it ,says that they will be hanging out below chilhowee dam in the cold mountian water running through,so i think thats where i will start ...finding the cold springs and below the cold moutain water dams,......would love to catch at least 1 just so i can say i caught it ..lol....i really want to try out the bottom bouncing 3 way rig for em and see if i can manage to get one in the boat ......good luck to everyone going for the walleyes this year .

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well we get enough of us in here well get it figured out.:wink:

11. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Jeremy, I live in Southwest MO., Tablerock,Stockton, Pomme De Terre, Truman lakes are all within a hour of my house:smile2: walley's were always there and I WAS like you about catching them, but just by accident my wife and I always catch a good mess almost when we want, we fish and camp alot during the week and I mow the grass on weekends, so I do fish with a slight advantage.
    The thing we found out is we would look for a red bank which around here is sand and shallow water and a point with humps---THE KEY--- get yourself a lake map and mark all of those.
    I fish in the early am for bass and my wife and my 2 beagles go troll in the afternoon, yeah you heard me, in the afternoon, it seems they don't start until around 2. CRAZY!!! but it's the truth, blue bird days almost seem to be the best and the hotter the better, and I know it makes no since but it's the TRUTH.
    Rapala to me makes the best baits at least the walley's around here think so, not many people know what I'm about to tell you but we've been doing thiss for about 5 years now and it sure works for US.
    The taildancer, color--dark green with a chartruse belly--2 sizes, 3 1/2 and 2 3/4 inches, using 10 lb. braid with a steel leader the largest lure will run about 12 feet if you get it back 50 yards or more and the smallest will run about 6-8 ft. with half the distance out, We run two lenghts when we troll cuz the inside line is onthe bank side and we change the rods so it stays that way when we turn around.
    That lure has caught every species of fish in those lake I mentioned above except the common carp, and I mean every fish in the lake will eat that bait!!
    Humps, points and the valleys in between, we have a road map sorta when we go on each lake after the trial and error, we have our spots that never change, BUT, you have to do your scouting, and then run them and then you'll have your WALLEY's ---I promise---Oh Yeah, plus all the other fish in the LAKE:wink:

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    take a milk jug painted orange with a long line and heavy weight on. when you find that good lookin hump on the fish finder, mark it with that jug and fish around it.

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Jer, One thing I can tell ya is the lake your talking about (if I am guessing correct) they love leeches there, rigged on simple Lindy spinner, or just on a jighead, early spring there we also do very good with a Carolina type set using floating jig, at 12-36" from weight. One of my favorite spots is drifting across the saddles and down the flat(north to south towards marina) from the islands and point across from "houseboat cove" when there is a chop on the water or after a good rain and the color is a bit stained will find the water on the flat is around 10-12 foot until you hit the NE side of the saddle, then it drops into the creek bed at 20-25 foot, Have also done very well straight jigging the flat areas along the south side of 48 bridge (both sides in the channel) and the North side of Dewitt Bridge (both sides following the channel edges) fishing jigs tipped with crawler, leech, or medium minnows. Also get on top of the old pits across and south from marina on west bank about 1/2 way between "gravel point" and "jungle cove" on the grassy flat area (?) 1/2 way back into the lake (to east from gravel point) you will mark the water from 8-14 foot then drop into 30-35 feet when you cross the pits, the edges around them are also very good. that same area the old channel comes off of the gravel point heads east all the way across that part of lake and is very good trolling. then (lol) around the other side of the horse shoe north of west access ramp to valley mill area point the old gravel road cuts across there and also is a good spot, and (lol) up to the sunken dam which is just east of IP point, you find that and troll its edge (runs N to S underwater) you will find where the old salt channel was dammed up should find water that drops to around 30' but it is a small area so keep your eye on the electronics maybe 20 yard long drop, always has some eyes on it. Of course if you can get to the rock pile that sets about 25-30 yards NE of the middle buoy at the spill way, it is also good for them eyes (as long as the striper aren't schooled on top) OK thats it, get a good mix of baits, leeches, crawlers, medium minnows, several types of deep to medium crankbaits, and never think your changing setups to often until ya find the correct set for that day. Hope some of what has and does work for us gets ya on some eye's!!!
    Orange 1/4 oz jig with leech is my favorite on Clinton :wink:
    Ya need a good map of the lake? let me know.
    Randy

Not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn :smile2:

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I grew up near the cumberland river at Old Hickory Lake where the World Record walleye came from in the 50's or 60's. It weighed 25lbs. I would catch one occasionally throwing a white jig at the Gallatin Steamplant. We would also catch sauger there too. My biggest walleye was caught in 1989 from the bank. It weighed 6 lbs.:cool2:

15. Ricky Dills

Ricky Dills New Member

State:
    Corryton, Tenne
    Hi boogie we live close to each other you are on the right track try fishing there at the old trestle below the dam at chilhowee dam try jigging a minnow or try a bill norman trolling up river from the boat ramp then jig back to the ramp and you will get you a big walleye that is were my personal best came from it was 12 lbs they show up in the early spring but they can be caught now good luck or try fontana it is full of them you can catch them there now on jigging spoons good luck RICKY AKA CAPT SKIBO

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    randy, sounds great. one point on clinton thats changed. the sunken dam by i.p. piont. off limits now. as if 2001 the shut off from i.p. to the bridge. the one that takes you under to north fork.

17. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    thanks rick on the info....i have been told to try around the old ft loudon ft on tellico also......i wouldnt mind having a couple to fry up...never had em,my bud caught one near yarberry one year but he didnt share the wealth .....lol...also i have read where bacon bend is suppose to be a good spot....i was thinking of making me a track up towards the dam and back down to bacon bend on the gps,(something to follow after dark) and just motor up and drift back? does that sound like a good start ?

18. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I live on the border of North Dakota and Minnesota. Up here walleye is king and for most anlgers if it aint a walleye it aint a fish. I have chased walleyes a lot longer than I've been chasing catfish so I will take a stab at this.

First off pick a method that you want to use to catch that first walleye. I personally would pick a lindy rig or spinner and a walking sinker or bottom bouncer. What I would do next is get on the walleye lake and look for structure. Rock piles, drop offs or break lines. I personally tend to stick in the 7-30 feet of water mark. Once I found the spot I would bait the spinner with a night crawler or leech. Then set up a small drift working up and down the break lines assuming you have a trolling motor to work back up. If you can find the depth follow the break line parallel to stay on the marks.

Keep the lure in contact with the bottom at all times and wait until you feel the tap. On the first tap put the rod tip down, on the second set the hook.

Like I said I fish walleye a lot and understand them pretty well. I use lindy rigs with live bait, jigs, and pull crank baits. My personal favorite is jigging but find lindy rigs easiest to learn.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have given out to many reps today. ill be sure and get ya one for this. thanks for the info.

20. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    This old Okie went to Port Clinton, Ohio three years ago around the first week of June for some of the famed walleye fishing. Man, we were not disappointed. Lake Erie is truly one of the great walleye lakes in America.

To get to the point, I found that you could walk into any Walmart or any fishing shop up there and find Erie Dearies in abundance. They work, but then other drift rigs do also. Tip 'em with a big fat crawler and get ready.

I love cats and crappie, but I have been convinced for 40 years that nothing beats walleye for a culinary delight.