Walking the plank

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by AwShucks, Mar 21, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When my fishing buddy and I put the boat into the water, or take it out of the water, at times we have to walk the center beam of the trailer to get to the boat to hook the bow eye, or straighten the boat out so it will come onto the trailer properly. I like to mess around and melt metal, to I was thinking I could make a set of fasteners for the trailer I could bolt a 1 x 10 board to so we would possibly quit falling in that cold water. Then I got to thinking that the wood may be slick when wet. I have some metal mesh wire and I am wondering if that would work somehow. What is the opinion of the gret BOC?

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well maybe you could get some of those none slip pads you know the ones that kind of look like roofing singles;)

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Expanded metal would be a great choice for this application. It won't rot and won't have to be replaced.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i agree with jw you need some expanded metal i suggest raised # 12 either galvanized or stainless steel. if i were going to use a 1x10 it would be oak or ash.

5. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I don't know how neat of a setup you want, but if it doesn't have to qualify for "classy" I'd combine to ideas. Take that expanded metal and bolt, nail-staple, or whatever to top of the 1X10. Quick, easy and when the wood eventually gets soggy, easily replaced.

BTW, a pair of 5'X10" strips of that expanded metal makes GREAT traction strips for when you don't have a boat ramp...as long as you don't spin the tires, cause they'll eat $400 of rubber real fast. I never spun when I used my uncles. Even when they were mashed underneath mud.)

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just put a 1x10 on my 12' boat. Even painted it. It not near a slippery as the trailer metal. Never slipped off of it once.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I saw a trailer that had about a twelve inch metal walkway on it. Watched the guy and it worked really great for him.

8. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    You can also paint the board cover it in sand while its wet, then brush off the extra when it is dry, and throw another coat of paint on it.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I sometimes install a plank on my boat for certain friends to walk. Sticks out about 4 feet past the front gate of the pontoon boat. LOL Well, really it's only for one of my friends. LOL

10. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    many man eating sharks under your plank Bryan? lol

11. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Only when DH is along!! LOL

12. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Sometimes on my pontoon trailer I will have to take a few steps on the area right behind the winch tower and it is definately slick. I went to Lowe's and bought some self-adhesive non-skid strips that are about an inch wide and put them on there about 2 inches apart. That was about 7 years ago and they are still there and work great. Might consider that as an option.