Walkin stix

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by ka_c4_boom, Feb 22, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    heres a couple stix iv carved the one on the left is maple the other cedar

Attached Files:

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Ya Done GOOD Charles!! Thanks. J.D.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Those are neat Chuck. I have one very similar to the one on the left, my grandad made it out of a vine twisted sapling. Have another one that is mainly straight, like the one on the right, with l'il nodules sticking out on it. Both of mine are stained and varnished, believe they were made in the 1950s. Thanks for sharing :smile2:!

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those are great looking. How long did it take you to do each of them?

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thanks roger it dont take long you start with a sapplin in the woods usualy one with a grape vine grown around it and trim it to the length you want then peel the bark off the way you want then let it dry out and sand or whittle it till youve got the desired look your after .
    the one on the left below is oak and has been started maybe 3 hours in . the one on the right is redbud i havent found the look i want yet but it has alot of potential cause its hollow the full length

Attached Files:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Those are pretty cool.Thanks for sharing!

7. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Those are some great looking walking sticks. I use a walking stick when i'm walking in the woods (not hunting). To kill snakes and knock down briars. Its just a old hickory stick. It don't rank up there with yours.

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Charles for sharing,they're beautiful!:big_smile:

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wait till Jim Marshal (fish) see these. He is an old pro at carving walk'in sticks. Jim had some really nice ones at the national.I'll bet he will have some good tips that he can share with all of us.:smile2:

10. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep tobacco stix work well too , when in the woods i normally cut a stick soon after there iv even been caught by deer when hunting cutting a nice looking twist :lol: somethin bout the popin and crackin of wood gets their attention

11. jsk30

jsk30 New Member

State:
    NC
    They look great Charles Thanks for sharing

12. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Charles, great looking sticks. Thanks for sharing.

I saw an older gentleman in a restaurant a few months ago, he had a cane with a handsaw handle. I didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. It was cool.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chuck I gotta say those are awsome sticks you ought to consider selling some

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Good looking walking sticks Charles Thanks for shareing

15. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Very cool, Charles! A great pastime and something to pass on to the family... both skill-wise and as a keepsake. Thanks for showing them to us.

16. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Charles, those are some beautiful walking sticks you have made. It is a lot of fun to turn something of nature into something so useful and beautiful. You should look into selling some of them, there is a good market for them.

Jack, I appreciate you buddy, but Tinboat was truly the walking stick genius. He gave me several twisted sticks at the National Gathering and I will treasure them for life. I am in the process now of making Judy one from one of the blanks he gave me.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice walking stick, Charles.