Wal-Mart shad?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tugrivercater, Jul 27, 2006.

1. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    ok I live in far eastren ky and there isent and shad native to my fishing waters but i hear from you all that its a good bait. my local wal-mart sells shad in packs of 5 or 6 and i was wondering if the wal-mart shat would be any good seing how its been dead for who knows how long... next queastion is how should it be fished? whole or cut? there pretty big.. thanks

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never used them, but I have only heard bad things about them. Yuo should be able to find some kind of natural bait in your area.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    DON'T waste your money. Those things are dried up, and not worth a darn. Cacth you some Bream, Crappie, etc. And use them for bait.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

alot of what i have read about the packaged shad is that the oils in them that attract fish have been removed and the shad are then packaged for sale. I would try to get natrual baits from the water you fish.

5. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep them fish gotta be eating something
    find out what and hammer them!!
    good luck
    hey and it doesnt hurt to try them if they suck dont use them but if they happen to work then there ya go

6. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    I just used some this weekend the stinkbait outdid it easily. The only reason I bought is because I was not able to get some fresh but I will surely not buy it again.

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Listen to the katmaster. Good advice there. Those packaged shad aren't worth the plastic bag they are put in.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I find it difficult to believe that there are not shad in your waters. That said, I do not know which waters you fish. I would highly recommend a cast net and throw it into the whitewaters of your nearest spill way. Any rough fish will work. I use them cut. Actually have had great luck with the fillets, not just the bloody part.

Good Luck

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Be careful where you throw a cast net at the spillway. Deer Creek you have to be 1000 feet from the dam. Just check the regulations in your area.

10. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    are creek chubs a form of shad??? my nearest spill way is over am hour away. i fish the tug fork river on the ky/wv border.

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    The only fish they catch are the ones buying them if i were you i would try small sunfish we call them bream:smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

12. CFH

CFH New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Never tried the Wal-Mart shad, but I've had good luck with the ones from the river.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    In Ohio the new regulation is you may castnet at any dam unless posted. Great new rule!!!!

14. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Brother,You need to find out what they are eating everyday and feed that to them.Fresh is allways Best.unless you got some HOG WILD......:cool2:

15. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Stay away from them Tommy, they are crap. The oils are taken out for use in other baits before packaging.

16. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    the only thing they are good for is something to snack on for yourself

17. cwhite6

cwhite6 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Glad I read this, I was about to go try some of thos esuckers. Guess I need to invest in a cast nest.

18. Michael Snow GA.

Michael Snow GA. New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Some one left some in the package at the fishing hole. I tried ONE. No bites.
    We left in a hurry due to rain. Get ready to go fishing several days later and the shad is still on the hook. Must be some powerful preservatives in them.
    Normally a shad is good for one fishing experience. Best advice I could give would be get a cast net. Start small, keep it away from jagged rocks and stumps. :big_smile:

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Don't believe chubs are kin to shad. In some of the lake, I get shad, but one place I launch, its mostly small 'gills when I cast my net. Those work well, cut or whole. While its nice to cast into moving water like at a spillway, most anywhere on the body of water you fish should get you some kind of bait fish.

20. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    They are a waste of money and time. Fresh bait is the best.