The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hometown Wal-Mart now carries prepackaged saltwater bait. Yes, it is odd for living in Michigan. There is raw shrimp, squid, and finger mullet for purchase. Has anybody used any of these? I know it's not as good as fresh bait, but I am going to give it a try.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It got added to the fishing section just a few days ago! Depending on what it cost, it might be an easy source for bait if I'm in a pinch for bait. I hear how oily they are, so I have some hopes for it.

·
Fish Sticks
1,588 Posts
I saw that here in Illinois just the other day. I question the purchasing agents intelligence about salt vs fresh water fishing bait. Shrimp don't work here in the waters I know, because I tried just about everything known to man including Ivory soap chunks. I'd pick the soap over Shrimp.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw that here in Illinois just the other day. I question the purchasing agents intelligence about salt vs fresh water fishing bait. Shrimp don't work here in the waters I know, because I tried just about everything known to man including Ivory soap chunks. I'd pick the soap over Shrimp.....
I worked in retail, and I know how purchasers can be. Why saltwater mullet are in Michigan is beyond me, BUT I'm gunna give them a try just to find out. I don't know how much they cost, but it would have to be cheap for me to even consider them as a regular piece if I'm in a pinch for bait.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
dont know bout prepared mullet but i use to commercial fish out of seadrift texas and all the commercial guys cought mullet out of the ocean for their cut bait in fresh water for cats.

·
Fish Sticks
1,588 Posts
dont know bout prepared mullet but i use to commercial fish out of seadrift texas and all the commercial guys cought mullet out of the ocean for their cut bait in fresh water for cats.
I guess fish is fish to a cat. Mr. Tastebuds likes some weird stuff. I used French fries on Cats and Carp a couple of times cause the natives at a restaurant near where I was fishing feed them to the fish off an outdoor deck. French fries float. Use the lightest hook you can get away with if you try it. LOL Truth...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts