Wal*Mart cast net?

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by KatfishKyle, Jul 31, 2008.

1. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    I seen a cast net at Wal*Mart for like $29.95. I have never thrown a net before but am looking to learn. Does anyone have any input on the net from Wal*Mart for $29.95? Thanks...Kyle.

2. massa_blake

massa_blake Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Blake
    I have bought cast nets from wal-mart and they have always done pretty good for me. I have bought more expensive cast nets from places like Gander Mountain that have not been any better.

3. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i by mine at wal mart. there is one there that is more expensive. it has a big ring around the top and is supposed to be the easiest net to throw. i tried it and i can throw the cheapies better. i normally loose a couple of nets a year from underwater rocks, logs, ect so i wouldn't waste money on expensive nets

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I bought a wal mart net last year. It comes with an offer for a free instructional disc.
    I have a problem throwing it but it is probably due to shoulder problems.
    I've never thrown an expensive net so I don't know if there is any real difference.
    Youtube has instructional videos.
    best of luck
    just

5. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Actually Walmart sells two different brands The cheaper of the two is made my South Bend. They offer a 7' for $24.12. Theat is dirt cheap for a 7 ft cast net. I am on net #7 this year this year and I am on my 2nd South Bend net. I just bought #3 as a back up the other day. I noticed that they are now " Environmentally Safe" The first 2 were lead weights this new one is steel weights. I have not even opened it yet so I do not know what the Steel one is like.

Both the Lead and the Steel models sport 3/8 mono mesh and have 3/4 lb weight per radial ft. I wish they had more weight because they sink slow but you have to cut cost somewhere to sell them so cheap. The other downside is they are extremely fragile if you hang it up. You can pretty much guarantee if you hang it you will pull a main line loose at the very least.

I would recommend dobbing some superglue or melting the knots on the mainlines they just seem to come untied pretty easy. Obviously I am pleased enough with them with buying 3 of them. As soon as I have some good clean shad holes I will probably invest in a more quality net.

If you cant throw a net that size all i can saw is go learn, you will never go back to a smaller 3-4' net unless it serves a purpose like in marina boat slips. a bad throw with a 7' is as good as a perfect 3-4' net throw. Your catch ratio is amazing in comparrision to the smaller net even with the cheaper slow weight, slow sinking big nets. Good Luck out there.

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    You can take the sinkers with the rubber in them, pull the rubber out and crimp them on the net between the other weights. Try to get the total to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 oz per foot. Ronnie:wink:

7. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Thanks for all the helpful info guys! I think maybe I will buy one this weekend and practice in the back yard for time being till I feel comfordable enough to try in the water! Thanks again! ...Kyle.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Start off by going to a farm pond and practice by catching gills. Usually a good farm pond won't have much trash in it and won't have any rocks either to hang up on.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use walmart nets also. I throw mostly in an area that is rocks and broken concrete from an old marina that was torn out. It took lots of practice in the back yard and on the water. Now I can pretty much throw it without thinking about it. The more you throw it the better you get. It is like learning to ride a bike, the more you did it the better you got. Also for me the mono nets throw easier and the small shad empty out of them better.

10. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have the Shad Cast Net with a 3.5' radius that came from Wally World. This is my second one. Does the job for me, no problem!

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have one of the big cast nets from wal-mart with the ring in the top and I can throw it about 20' .It is made of mono line and is very heavy and sinks very fast and after only a couple of throws....I am ready for a break. I much prefer the smaller lighter nylon throw nets. I would start out with one of the cheaper ones and when I became good at throwing it....I would buy a better one from a good bait shop. Just my opinion!!!:big_smile:

12. CatMaster of the Mis

CatMaster of the Mis New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have one from walmart with the throw ring on it and I love it. My advice is to get the one with the ring on it and buy one with out. The video with the ringed one actually shows you how to put that ring on any net you buy. If you go to the river planning to catch fresh bait and go fishing and you throw your one and only net over a rock you'll be loading your boat back on the trailer to go buy bait or another net, anyway your day will be shot. Don't try to store your net in that itty bitty box either. Find a 3 or 5 gal bucket with a lid and drill a dozen 3/8 holes in the bottom so your net can drain without you having to fool with it. Also the bucket makes a cheap drift sock. I only river fish but when the wind is puffing I toss out my bucket on a short rope to prevent or reduce boat sway. I lost my first net in short order and bought 2 the next time. Thats must have been the ticket because i've had both for 3 years now. My accu throw ring one is getting ragged but all I have to do is put the ring on my spare net and get a new spare.

13. CatMaster of the Mis

CatMaster of the Mis New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    OH, I forgot , on your first net get a 4 or 5 foot radius which equals 8 or 10 feet dia. It will make the learning curve not so steep. A 6' or 8' radius net is a monster to throw. On a easy day one throw would be enough bait to last all day, but when bait is hard to find and you throw it 10 or 12 times you'll be to wore out to fish. With the smaller net on a good day it will still just take 2 or 3 throws to get enough bait. Also if you have a pocket knife with the little clip to hold it on your pocket the net will grab it every now and then, sometimes it comes back in the net sometimes it does not.:confused2:

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I buy one of their nets every year. Works great. By the end of the year, it is typically destroyed by getting snagged. Not alot you can do about that so I just use the cheap ones

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I also use Wal-Mart nets, have no problem with them, I use the 3.5 below dams it is easier to control, and is great for shallow water. I also have a larger net for the boat for deeper water.

Here is a trick that helps keep the net open longer for shad that are deeper, I did this to my larger net.

Take duct tape and about 3 inches above the weights put tape all the way around. Flip the net inside out and put another lay of tape on the inside, make sure it sticks to the out side tape. It holds the net open longer on the way down. Sure helps getting them deep.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i use the laker $20 ones made from blue mono. they work fine. and i can loose two to the cost of a $40 one.

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
  18. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    My throw net came from Wal*mart. I don't think it is a walmart brand net, but it came from there. I paid about $25 for it. It throws fine and can be repaired easy enough with 50 lb test line when needed. I have seen those saltwater nets before and bet they are a lot more expensive. Can't see a difference in them in throwing or retrieving. So, I would say they are fine by my standards. I did do what was suggested by the manufacturer and set it out in the sun opened up before using it. I also will hang it out every so often so it doesn't stiffen up. I got rid of the little plastic box it comes in, as it is a pain to stuff back in. I replaced it with a small tool box, which is about 4 inches bigger than the original box. It sure is easier to store when finished.
    good luck
    ccat

19. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I have 2 of the blue mono nets from wally world, 5 and 6 ft. they work fine, one thing i do is soak them in water and fabric softner when i get it and they are much more managable.
    chip