Wal Mart ABU 7000 vs BPS ABU 7000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KanHeadhunter, Jan 24, 2007.

1. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Is there a difference between the 2 reels besides color? I have a gift certtificate I need to use at BPS. I was wondering if 1 was better than the other?

Thanks

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The one Walmart sells is the 7000B, which uses a bushing in place of a bearing. Personally, I don't think there is much difference, but the 7000B is definitely the cheaper model. That said, you may run into the 7000B at Bass Pro, too. The one most folks like is the 7000C3, which is a bearing model.

Just to confuse things a bit more, ABU released several new models in the 7000 line this year, and I couldn't tell you the differences in all of them. But a 2007 7000C3 will have a carbon matrix drag, which is an improvement over the 2006 7000C3, which has the conventional drag.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you fish from a boat, the BPS 7000C may be better, smoother with the bearings. From the bank, if you fish where there's a lot of sand, the bushings can be good, they'll continue working well even if sand gets in them. Still, I'd go with the 7000C, I'm not sure the Wal-Mart version comes with the carbon matrix drag. Its an improvement.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Surf fishermen,waders and Kayakers whose reels are subject to be immersed in muddy water or subjected to fine talcum powder size blown sand can benefit from bushing type bearings.The high reel speeds of long distant casting and a clean environment is where ball bearings excel.Remember that there are many working reels over 100 years old that all have one thing in common.Bushings!I think that you can swap those bushings and ball bearings as needed in most of the reels that you can buy with bushings.Each has it's correct place and usage.The largest profit to be made is in getting you to be satisfied with and continue to buy disposable reels.That reel that will last is a one time deal,often for several generations.It is simple and easy to buy a reel that will last.Just buy one that is made just like the ones that have lasted.Now there are people that I love who will tear up a steel ball with a rubber bat.These people I will shoot "with love"if they even touch one of my good reels.These type people think that their soul purpose in life is to destroy.They laugh and brag about how "rough"they are on equipment.Preferably your equipment.You can often recognize them by their trail of crushed beer cans.I do not allow them to breath on my gear.5 minutes without a breath seems to cure them.They are a lot of trouble to drag away after the cure,but this is a lot less trouble than buying and repairing what they destroy.They can and often do destroy more in 5 seconds than your family has been able to preserve in 50 years.I wish each of you many years of enjoyment out of your reels.I have mentioned the things that I have found necessary to accomplish this.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Peewee, thanks for the words. I take care of my reels, the exposed worm gear and pawl, for instance, is oiled after each trip. I keep them clean and oil/grease them often. My mono lines seldom stay on them for more than three or four trips. But, certain types of fishing is hard on reels, especially if you cannot easily keep them out of water. So, I've learned to buy the kind of quality that will hold up. Surprisingly, though, its not always the most costly equipment that's the most durable.

6. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I just went to BPS and 7000c3 at $99.00 is no longer there. They have replaced it with a 7000gti(sp) for $129.00. I don't know if I want to spend $129 on a reel. I think I'm going with the Wal Mart reel.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Your care is one of the main reasons that your gear holds up.I have some plastic "Hand Line" reels.They are the only true submersible reels that I have ever found and they need rinsing,drying and storing out of the sunlight after use.Salt mist in the air will get inside of anything and everything as I found out when living 2 blocks from the Atlantic Ocean.It even corroded my trucks radiator from the outside in.Even the things inside my home corroded such as my feeler gauges rusting while completely covered with oil and inside a glass jar with a lid.I have wondered if the one Brass one set up electrolysis.I have as yet to figure that one out.In my day the ABA-GARCIA reels did not seem to handle corrosion or the speed,power and size of saltwater fish.Level winds,gears and drags were often destroyed along with complaints of corrosion.The 7000 had a bad reputation with some of the Tarpon fishermen.Now some people can destroy reels on a daily basis by fishing for the same fish and size of fish as others who can use the same reels for years.You hear the words "luck and junk"when you ask why theirs always fail and that family over there have been using theirs for years.This is one of the things that never change.It was not unusual to find inland fishermen "Bass Fishing" with their freshwater gear in saltwater.Now with the "Big Catfish Craze" you see the saltwater gear in freshwater.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

8. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    last year the gold abu 7000HS was $129 and the difference between the red 7000b or c model is the walmart reels have brass bushings on the spool shaft. 7000b and 7000c both are bushing reels and are 4.1:1 gear ratio. the 7000c3 has bearings and most of those were silver in color ...if it says c3 on it then that means it has 3 bearings in it. one on the crank shaft and one in each side plate that the spool's shaft turns inside of. and the ones that are just c or b models are bushing reels. the gold abu 7000HS big game has two differences and that's a faster gear ratio at 5.3:1 and they also have 3 bearings. I think the new gold 7000's at bass pro are the same 5.3:1 gear ratio just like the HS models and the black 7000CLC3 big game also has 5.3:1 gear ratio.

if you're using the reel on surf rods I'd go with the 5.3:1 gear ratio and bearing model at basspro. If you're using them on short boat rods then the b or c model are fine. you can also find new abu 7000c3 reels under the buy it now button for $75 to $85 so look on ebay first. you could get a bearing reel cheaper off ebay than you can get the non bearing type at walmart. hope this helps.

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Pee-Wee I don't let anyone use my gear. That's why I have reels that I've used for over 20 years and they are in great shape to this day. I have bought enough of my fav. reels to fish a life time without ever having to worry if I can find/buy a good reel. PPl that fish with me eiter they use there own gear or what I call my loner R & R's. Those are R & R's I've bought over the years but didn't like them after I got them so they are for lone to those without gear. I have had a few ppl that really wanted to use my nice gear and since they fsh with me often and kept asking. I just gave them all one like the one they wanted to use all the time. It's kinda funny that the 3 times I've done this they have All freaked out when I pulled out bxes of reels just like the one's I would never let them use and tell them to pick out one for their self. Then when they are faced with 30 or so vintage Garcias they can't make up their mind witch one they want,like a kid in a candy shop. Then after they made their mind up I show them the ones I woudn't let them pick from and they are shocked to see my NEW vintage Abu's still in their Boxes. Now all I hear is I sure would like to have one of those,YEAH RIGHT! LOL