Wakki

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Jun 8, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Went out to the wakki saturday night just below clinton, and not even a bite in about 4-5 hrs worth of fishing. Fished the same holes I've slaughtered fish out of. Had nice selection of gills and green sunfish and some cut shad, but nothing.

Talked to two other boats, between them they got 1 small channel on a trotline, but nothing else. That stretch of the river usually guarantees at least a fish or two. Couldnt believe it.

Thats 4 straight times I've been out and got skunked (not all at the wakki).

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Were is the ramp at just below Clinton?

3. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
  4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ok you confused me when you said below Clinton. I have used that ramp a lot in the past, I thought maybe there was another ramp below the outlet some where I did not know about.

5. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Are the fish safe to eat below Clinton and before the Kaw??, thanks,

6. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Below as in southwest i guess :big_smile:

The stretch of the river I linked is perfectly safe for fish, kept quite a bit out of there. Clinton has a ton of eater size channels, just wasnt able to find any this past weekend.

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kevin, I hope you were wearing the pink skunk hat on the way home. Heck Im getting skunked pretty bad lately too, I might start throwing out hotdogs or something pretty soon just to break this streak.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well im glad im not out wasting my time. its not a slump or a skunk its the spawn those cats are busy getting busy i cought one last week or the week before full of eggs. before long the bite will be on for the rest of the year.:big_smile:

9. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    If you're in the right place it doesn't matter that much {as far as channel cats go anyway.} Find you some good rip rap bank{particularly around a bridge or something}. and you will find some channel cats at least. some guys do better for them during the spawn. Might require some different tactics. Get you a long crappie rod 11 or 12 feet should do and put an oversized reel on it. A spinning reel with at least 20 lb test should do.Get some shrimp or liver and a fairly stout j hook and you're set.Remember don't cast it or move it 6 inches left or right...you will get snagged.Pick it straight up and set it down right where you want it. You can use a float if you like set no more than a foot to 18 inches deep.Hillbillies call it doodlesocking and it can catch you some nice channels this time of the year don't even need a boat.I mostly fish for channels in small lakes but I catch just as many fish if not more during the spawn.Will work around brush piles in shallow water with live bait at night too.

10. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thats exactly how I was fishing this past weekend. O well, I only tried about 3 different spots due to my reverse throttle getting jacked up and setting 2 anchors with no reverse and pretty much 0 current can be a pain. Its more about getting out and trying different tactics till you find a way to catch em, only about 4 years of catfishing experience under my belt there is still a lot to learn :big_smile:

11. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    i've been fishing there and seems like they've been liking shad guts.

12. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Is the river ramp open/clean off?

13. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    As of Saturday night the ramp was clear. A little mud, but not too bad. With all this rain I'm sure some has washed down on it. Even so its a good ramp and you shouldnt have many issues. Just take a shovel just in case and clear a spot for your tires.

14. Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Are the bitt'n in the river or do I need to head for the Dam?

15. Tunnel Rat

Tunnel Rat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    fish not good at atchison state lake bad day just small bass lol hi gamlen got message okay we going to perry