Wakki/Clinton Info?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Mar 18, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Has anyone been out on the wakki river south of clinton? I was thinkin about tryin it out this wkend with the boat. I'm hopin with the warm weather we're havin that the water will warm up enough and some of the channels will possibly start movin.

Still too cold for them to move in the inlets?

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have not been that way this year, but I do spend a lot of time in the late spring and summer there. If you have not been down that strech of river before watch closely for timber. It can be tricky at times depending on the water level to snake around the under water logs. I have seen a few lower units taken out there.

3. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've been on it once, last spring after a pretty heavy rain. I usually take it easy on unfamiliar waters....glad I got my jet motor now :smile2:

I do remember a ton of timber in the river, main reason I like it so much, plenty of opportunities to find mr. whiskers.

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i think your talking about the part of the river that is above clinton lake? if so once you launch your boat head up stream be looking for arm off the river to your right youll know its it because a big log jam blocks you being able to go past it.set up on itlots of spring channels and crappie to paly with

5. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
  6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Kevin the ramp you are showing is the one in the river.

Its about three miles to get to the lake from there.I would just put in at the state park on the north side of the lake and head to the mud flats to the west.

Just east of the bridge you will find a flat on the north/west side and one on the south/east side of the old river channel.

Work the area off these flat closest to the river channel along the timber.Them cats will be there.

The mud flats to the south/east if you go to the north end where the river is, there is a old farm stead there that still has the old rock foundation still standing.Fish in that area it can be a killer .

Every tourment that I won was right there.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

theres only one ramp on the wakaruesa river near clinton its the one above the lake.

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yes I know that!

9. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    So that ramp I linked in my other post is just a long haul to get to where the river feeds into the lake. Steve and I fished that area last year and had quite a bit of success back in there.

Is this the one you're referring to:
    http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KD...ion-2/Clinton/Facilities/Coon-Creek-Boat-Ramp

Is the bridge you're talking about the E350th road bridge or the E251st Diag road bridge down when the wakki actually feeds into the lake.

I was never very good in geography class :roll_eyes:

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    You can put in there thats the deer creek ramp.But the one i was talking about is east of that in the state park.Its a better ramp than the Deer creek one.

Yes the bridge is the going over the river.

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Love fishing those flats and stumps you are talking about Tom, but man that area is really silting in. Got caught back there ONCE with a strong north wind, really thought the boat was going to go down, probably the scaredest(?) I've ever been on the water.

Was at the Wakie ramp on Monday, looked very nice up that way. There was a fellow bank fishing up there, but he had just got there and hadn't had any luck yet.

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    State park? Yeah, Kevin, you better stick to the river ramp in the boonies where nobody is watching. You guys have never seen him back up a trailer/ trailer a boat, I have... haha:smile2::roll_eyes:. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Good luck fishing, hope you slaughter them.