Wakes in the water???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Redd, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I didnt really know what forum to put this under, so sorry if I got it wrong. Anyway, I've been meaning to ask all of you, your opinions for a long time now. The summer a year and a half ago, I was night fishing the spring river. I was catching a lot of decent sized channel cats, but nothin' over eight pounds. But, all through the night and the river I heard splashes that sounded like, Chunk off the Goonies, just flopped off a diving board... I mean, I've heard big gar and catfish making wakes before...but nothing like this before in my LIFE. I continued going to that spot catfishing and every night, heard the splashes. I couldn't see the fish as it was pitch dark, and I didn't have a spotlight. Do any of you have an idea of what kinda fish this could be? Or how big? I haven't fished that spot in a long time, as "powers" have changed and I no longer have permission. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Red

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Sounds to me more like beaver slaping the water with their tail. Thats a signal to other beaver that you're in their area, same as a deer snorting in the woods.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree beavers more than likely.Carp will also jump out of the water and when they hit it sounds like a cement block hittin the water sometimes.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with both - beaver slapping or maybe carp jumping.

Sturgeon jump too.

Did you hear an exit and re-entry splash?
    I know that probably sounds funny, but a lot of times when carp or sturgeon are really jumping you hear 2 separate splashes - the splash as they leave the water, and then a split second later the splash as they crash back down again (they can jump clear of the water and get a pretty good "hang time" sometimes.) I've had them jump slose enough to my boat so that the waves rocked the boat. I'm just waiting fo rone to land in the boat - that should be fun.:eek:oooh:

5. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Don't know about beavers, but I do know about carp. Like chrisblue said, they jump high and can hit the water with a sound like a fridge being dropped in! A 30 pound fish makes more noise than any wels does...

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ive heard the same thing several times lately in the cove where i get bait at. just so happens there a bridge in that cove and once i heard just as i came under the bridge before daylight. kind of made the hair on your neck stand up. i was looking everywhere because i thought someone might of threw something off the bridge. few weeks later i heard it in the same area after i got farther out in the cove. im thinking beaver or possible big carp like chrisblue stated. the ones i heard did sound like concrete blocks fall in the water from the moon.

7. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Ive seen cats that wiegh as little as 15 lbs make splashes large enough to think it was a man. And you have to remember that at night on a quiet waterway sounds somtimes seem louder and larger then they really are. Just a thought

8. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    BEAVERS! I have the same thing happen in the New River in sw va. It will really get your attention at 3 am when it dead silent!:eek:oooh:

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    when i fish for buffs, as soon as there is bait in the water(either on my hook or the range cubes for chum) they go crazy, they will spash all around and slap the water with their tail.

10. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Thanks guys. Never thought about it being beavers. And no, I never heard an exit splash. Just one... hard and solid. Thanks again, for the replies.

-Red

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I gotta go with beavers. They can make you jump outa your seat. I have had it happen many times.

12. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That, my friend, was a beaver. If you set up near their favorite spot they'll cruise around you slapping their tail every once in awhile.

13. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    well, i guess i'll play the broken record...beavers. lol

I have heard intermittent splashin around at night that turned out to be snakes trying to catch fish....but those sounds are not real loud.

Beavers can downright scare the crap outta ya!

cyas
    robert

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have seen fish make big splashes, but I dont was they cats, stripers, or bass.