Wake up Minnesota!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MINNESOTA TALK' started by nuthinlikeacat, Apr 6, 2006.

1. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I've been watching our MN area the past couple weeks and it has gone dead. Prime catfishing is coming upon us, so lets give a shout out and see how many active Minnesotans we have on here.

2. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Sure has been dead. I've been waiting for someone else to post. I've had mixed results so far. I've done real well, but I've also gotten blanked. It seems to be hit-or-miss on the trips. Warming temps should make them more active soon. Can't wait!

3. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I'll be heading out this weekend, I'll let you all know how we do. It will be my first fishing outing since last September, so obviously I can't wait.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Larry checking in.
    I been out on the rivers off and on the last few days but no fish to speak. Been trying a variety of things, Water temps are around 43-45 but very high and still rising fast. Waters are due to crest this weekend and temps will keep on rising. I bet its gonna be prime by next weekend. Waters should be in low to mid 50s depending on the weather.. Then things should be hopping
    thanks

5. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    The season starts for me in about 2 weeks. Went to scout out a few of my spots this past weekend, and the river is higher than h*ll. Would love to get out sooner, but I'm waiting for the river to go down a bit. :crying:

6. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    I got six channels and busted off two more on Sunday afternoon. All were 2-3 pounds. Cut sucker and a current seam was the ticket.

7. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Yikes! Busting off on Channel Cats now Ryan, whats the deal? I think I can pass on the title of Mr. BO. Did ya have knot failure? Gotta go Palomar dude! There are some things I just won't admit online. LOL!

8. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    Nope, knots were fine. I was pulling them out of a rocky area, and the rod and reel I had with me only had 10lb Trilene XL on it. It's great in open areas, but it's not too abrasion resistant.

You can keep the Mr. BO award. When I bust off 2 or more big flatties in one night, then I'll rightfully take it from you:p

9. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    I see...

Taking a knife to a gun fight. :)

10. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    You betcha! I haven't felt the need for heavier stuff yet...although with water temps around 50, the possiblity of a big boy is looming, so I may have to bump up to my bigger equipment.

11. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    i got 9 nice channels yesterday on the st.louis river -the biggest went 9 lbs-cut redhorse suckers did the trick!-gl to everyone!

12. kingcat23

kingcat23 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Went out today and got a lousy sheapshead only had crawlers though

13. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Went out and got 3 nice channels.
    3.5lb
    5lb
    9lb
    Caught the smallest on a crawler. Caught the other two on Cut drum (sheapshead).
    was a great night. Still to early for the flats, we were trying for them.

14. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Larry,
    In the next couple of weeks you will to keep me in mind. I'm planning on starting to hit the river for flatties in the next week or two. In the mean time I've been having fun picking on the panfish!:haha:

15. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Larry,

Is it legal to use sheephead for bait here in Minneosta? I am just curious because it seems like our state makes any kind of bait other that crawlers and minnows illegal. It's weird to hear others around the country using sunfish, goldfish, etc. Also others are allowed to use 2 or 3 rods at once. We're allowed one rod. I am just curious?

16. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    J-Man,
    you are right about MN having conservative guidelines in the use of Bait for fish and Fishing Regulations in general. But its with this program that we are able to have the outstanding Fishing that MN has to offer on all levels.
    As far as I'm aware We can cut up Sucker, Drum and other rough fish except Carp.
    We can use Minnows up to 7 inchs in length. INcluding bullheads.
    We CAN NOT use sunfish/bluegills or any other game fish, goldfish and carp for bait.
    We Should not be transporting our own caught Minnows. but most guys keep good tabs on them.
    WE are only allowed 1 rod on open water. (double check on the St.Croix it being a border water it might have different rules).
    If you interested you can read the 06 regs just go under the State of MN scroll down past the posts you will see threads posted by Whistler. State angencies ect.
    thanks
    Larry

17. catfish156123

catfish156123 New Member

State:
    Currie, Minnesota
    Just a little note of how the fishing is here in southwest minn. The wife and I have been fishing Lake Shetek and getting our limit each time. They are around 1 to 3 pounds but the bait shop said someone had a 11 pounder the other day. We have got the the point of just keeping the smaller ones. What is great we only have to drive a couple miles to put the boat in and have good catfishing. It has just got that way the last couple years.

Good Fishing
    Catfish156123

18. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Hey rex, thanks for the update. Glad to see you checking back in here once in a while....I was wondering what happened to ya!

19. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    J-Man
    I just got off the phone with the DNR about some of the questions above and to answer other questions. They answered the phone right away, and did not have to go through any automated system whatsoever.
    I had a question about the goldfish being classified as a minnow as stated on page 4 of the rules and regs booklet. Later on page 10 it says using goldfish is unlawful. I asked for clarification on this subject. Goldfish are considered a minnow, and although they CAN be used on some border waters they CANNOT be used in the inland waters in the state of MN. If your fishing a border water, I'd suggest reading that states rules and regs before using live bait.

ALSO, a FYI to all you MN fishermen...
    MIssissippi River (downstream of Prescott, Wisconsin and all waters between the Burlington Northern [Wisconsin] and Chicago Milwaukee [Minnesota] railroad tracks)Lake Pepin, St Croix River, Lake St Croix, St Louis River, St Louis Bay, and Superior Bay are all considered border waters. * Two lines with a single lure or bait on each are permitted. If fishing with one line you may use two baits.*
    Also, the rules and limits of the Catfish are different between Minnesota inland waters and border waters (ie. MN,WI)
    As for what Larry has posted above, he is correct on all of the above.

Hope this helps:confident:

20. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Thanks for all the info Larry and Ryan. I see you can use cut drum, but can you use live drum for bait? Just curious as I am always looking to try something new.

It is great to know about the border waters allowing the use of multiple lines. I'll remember that when fishing the St. Croix this summer.

By the way I was fishing in the Albert Lea area this weekend and we caught about a half-dozen channels, the largest of which was 27 inches. I did not have the scale with, so I don't know what the weight was. We were using bread balls and nightcrawlers (not on the same hook of course). Just thought I'd let you all know. I can't wait to get into some big flatheads!