Wakarusa west of Clinton?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by RPnKC, Jul 12, 2009.

1. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anyone fish the Wakarusa west of Clinton Resevoir?
    Really wondering if it dries up and is too shallow to navigate.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Rick, Allan (KansasTreeRat) is the one to ask about that. I believe he gets his yak back up in there. :big_smile:

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have fished most of the waters west of Clinton on the River. At times you can make it up a good ways in a larger boat to the west. But after a while it started to get real skinny and goes from riffle to hole to riffle. Most of the time I fish that area I fish from the ramp to the lake. some nice locations in that area to fish and not to shallow. One thing to watch out for if you do fish that area are the logs just under the water. There are some real nice size ones that could really mess up a boat ot an engine.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've fished it a handful of times over the last 2 years. I'm not real familiar with it, but from what I remember, most of it was 7-15 or so feet deep. I'm talking about from the boat ramp to the lake. I would think it is navigable year round, but I could be wrong. There are some spots upstream from the ramp that I could see getting pretty hairy. But I never have gone that far up that way... just to that island and a little bit past.

5. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    There's water in the river year round at lest up to the Log Jam (1/4 mile up from Boat Ramp. Look for the green sign's that say 'fish here'. Seriously, this time of year the water pretty muddy and warm water temps. When they letting water out at the Dam is the best time.

6. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have family that lives upstream about 5 miles or so, they got 4 inches of rain last night. Would like to be there couple/three days after, a good rain like that.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    the logjam up river from the ramp aint what it used to be in the past few years. we got by it all the time though in a 17 ft. bass tracker. we've been up river past Clinton Wildlife Rd to a little creek outlet. once ya get past the jam its purdy clear. not as many submerged stumps as down river. the closer to the lake ya get, the more stumps you'll see. aint bad though if ya just take it easy. i have seen 2 boats go flat out from the ramp to the lake but those guys basically live on that river. i will advise that you get out there when the river is low and and study it

8. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Rick
    In a small boat you should be able to go up river from the ramp as far as a little way past Shadden road. From that point it is canoe or Kayak only. My last trip I had a real hard time between Green road and Shadden do to log jams, even had to pull the boat up the bank and around a jam at the railroad tressle. West of Green road it is clear but very little water but there are a few nice holes.
    If you want to know anything else just ask.

9. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fish off of Green road in the spring and try to catch white bass when they're running. Been wanting to try that log jam under the RR tressle for some cats in the warmer months, but haven't felt like making the walk with all the cat gear to get back there. :smile2: Caught a nice sized carp around that jam a couple years ago on a jig.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  10. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Has anyone been fishing the wakki lately? Thinkin about getting some dust off the boat and getting out there this wkend.

Shad? Gills? Worms? Anything been workin?

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I hit it about 3 weeks ago, fished it from the ramp up to the bridge and had no luck. I tossed the entire bag at them, shrimp, punch bait, dip bait, shad, perch.

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    dad & i were there on sun. fished upriver at the jam, and up farther about 200 yards, then fished here & there down from the ramp for a mile/mile 1/2. used 5-6 in. carp & cut gills. no action. river seemed to be at normal level.

dad dont night fish yet so this was daytime. that was the deciding factor in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  13. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Not what I was wanting to hear guys! :sad2:

Thanks for the info though. Be good just to get out and run the boat though.

Plan on doing some scouting for duck season while we're out there. Any of you guys ever hunt that marsh or the river in that area? Figured it'd be great hunting as the refuge borders part of that marsh. :smile2:

14. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was there last Saturday night, 01AUG09, and got skunked. I only use fish to catch fish. Really wanted to head towards the lake but forgot the gas tank, and had DC power only. So we went to the first bend upstream and saw guys at the log jamb....where I wanted to fish. Log jambs, even old ones, will always hold small channels for entertainment.
    With the water feeling like bath water, might be best to wait until it drops some.