Wakarusa River west of Clinton Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by here2learn, Aug 13, 2009.

1. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Took the new boat out to the Wakarusa a couple weekends ago. Never been out there, thought we'd give it a shot. Get the boat in the water after catching some 'gills in a local pond, and throw the cast net right off the ramp, and BAM 30 shad, 2-3 inch. A couple more throws and we're good for cut bait for channels too. The river hardly had any current, so we used the trolling motor and went way upstream. Seemed like every branch sticking out of the water had an empty limbline tied to it. Had a couple of drunk dudes pass us in a canoe that had been out there all day. Left the fish finder screen at home, so we had to guess at where the holes were, and fish snags, etc. First time using some Katbobbers that I made, and got a nice 8-lb flathead. Only fish of the night. Would of had a picture, but the batteries died in the camera.

Are we doing something wrong? It got pretty chilly out that night, but the water was still warm. We had 5 poles in the water the whole time, and 1 fish? Anybody else fish this river? Are there any big flatheads in it? Do we need to go downstream instead of up? Any help would be awesome!

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Steve, I don't fish the Waki I don't have a boat but it should be like the other river around that feed the Kaw it is always better went Clinton is letting out water plus you need you fish finder to find the holes an fish them when the river is low.

IMO you might have better luck fishing the mouth where it dumps into the Kaw also it is a lot better when the river is on a big rise because I think the flats move into the feeder creeks to find the bait that don't like or can't handle the current. Some days/nights are like that I have gone on a bunch of trips an not caught a single fish except those darn Gar man I had those nasty fish.

Seems you had the right bait just don't know if where you were fishing at was deep enough to support a bunch of bigger flats or not.

3. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i know where he was fishin esp. since he said empty limb lines. he was on the upper waki Shelby. there aint been any movement for weeks on there.

you may have better luck goin down river closer to the lake. most the guys that do good on lines set close to or on the flats where the river dumps in. you aint doin nothin wrong. atleast you got somethin, last time i was out there i didnt get anything.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont think you can fish on a river in the state that doesnt have HUNDREDS of empty limb lines all over it. Pisses me off too.:angry:
    Kansas has too few accesses and the ones we do have get beaten to death.:sad2:

As far as only catchin one fish, if you are wanting to get flatheads you better get used to it.:wink::smile2: They dont come easy on a pole, especially with that kinda limb line pressure. I fish MANY nights with nothing. Part of the game I guess.
    If I were you I stick to the Kaw.:cool2:

5. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    You may have better luck goin down river closer to the lake. Its great that you caught one fish that size.

Save a fish, hook a limb line.

6. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for everyone's help! I would love to fish the Kaw, I'm just a little intimidated due to my lack of skills with the boat. And it only has a 10 horse on it. I will try going downriver this weekend in the Waki, and let you all know what happens!

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The Waki has been real slow for me and others that I have talked to this year. Then again most of the people that I have talked to stated that this year has been one of the worst years in recent past.

My word of advise is go slow going down stream from the ramp there are a lot of hidden logs just under the water and out of view.

8. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    In the Wakarusa use 1/2 oz. sinkers. In the Kaw start with a 2 oz. sinker I think. If possible take someone thats been on the Kaw before.

9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    me and my brother only have a 9.9 Johnson and we run all over the Kaw. when the water is up, goin up river is slow goin but we get there.

i'd say goin down river from the ramp on the Waki is less hazardous than up until ya get right close to the lake. i purdy much know where all submerged stumps are but it will be hard to explain on here.

10. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    We (steve and I) tore it up on the wakki last year on a number of different occassions. Used to be a place you could go and guaranteed you'd catch quite a few channels if nothing else. This year that stretch of the river has been pretty stingy. Not sure whats causin it, but after a big rain I'm sure it turns on, I know Rock Creek definately did for me once this year.

11. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    After it finally quit raining yesterday, we went and caught some gills and headed out to the Waki. Went downstream, found a 20ft hole and fished it, found lots of cover and fished all of it, and all we came out with was 2 small channels. I'm not giving up on it yet, it's too close to home and too easy to fish to pass on. Lots of weird lightning and thunder the whole time we were out. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Attached Files:

12. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thats really surprising you didnt tear them up after that rain. Theres a ton of bait in that part of the river right now, I think thats one of the issues with it being slow right now. The water was so stinkin warm I was thinking the rain would move some of it out of there and get a little current and turn the fish on, guess not :confused2:

I just dont believe with as deep as that river is in that section and with all that cover through there that there arent tons of cats back there, gotta be something thats makin it tough.

13. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's probably just me not knowing what the hell I'm doing! I'm sure we're too loud on the boat, and we got in there a little late due to the rain. There is bait everywhere out there. A few throws of the net yielded a 10in carp, countless shad, and some creek chub. Maybe they have too much to eat? I don't know, we'll just try it again this weekend, especially with all this rain!

14. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    If someone dosen't make noise once in a while I fall asleep (probably a senior moment). Look for the fish on the outside of bends in the river. After all this rain maybe upstream from the boat ramp, but start down stream first, I think.

15. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Well I dont claim to really know what I'm doing but we struggled out there last weekend as well. Tried about 4 different spots and fished till 3 am with only 2 4 lbers to show for it.

And ya, outside river bends is about the only area we had any success. Snags were not producing at all.

16. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    John and I went down to the Wakarusa Wednesday (9-2-09). Some time ago we found an old throw net along side the bank. John patch it up and we were set to go. First time either of us tried to throw a cast net. Got a little over dozen shad. Now, we got 4 poles and 3 baits, Shad, Nightcrawlers, and Liver.
    Caught about 4 lb. Carp, 10" Dia. Turtle, 2 lb. Drum and 4 eaters. Hummm, if anyone sees a steel blue stringer on the Wakarusa with catfish attached its our.

Attached Files:

17. here2learn

here2learn New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went back to the Waki again last night. Got out there a little late. She was up a bit, with a LOT of debris floating around. Took it slow and fished the big snag in the middle of the river downstream from the ramp. First cast and my buddy got the one flathead of the evening. I baited up with some stepped on shad and got 1 healthy channel, then another an hour later, then one little guy that somehow got my 7/0 circlehook stuck in his lip. Not a bad night, except for all the stuff floating around. One of the channels had these weird spots on his belly and sides, I've seen it on same in Clinton also, it looks like a disease of some sort, anybody know about it?

Attached Files:

18. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Nice fish there Steve! I am glad you all are having luck up there. My stretch of Waki hasn't produced lately. Oh well, we'll keep trying! :eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

19. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Nice look'n fish steve.

20. flattymatty

flattymatty New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Nice fish. I caught about a four pound flattie the other day out the Kansas River that had some wierd looking "leopard spots". Figured it might have been some sort of external parasite similar to what i'd seen trout fishing out in california. Didn't seem to affect the meat any. Cleaned him up and made a good meal out of it. Nobody got sick and the fish was deeeeeelicious!!!!