wait....or set the hook!!!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by biga, May 11, 2008.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    have you ever tried a stinger hook setup? if they are just mouthing the bait i will put another hook in the bait to up the chance of a solid hook up!!

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Get some 10/0 king kahles and your hook up ratio with live bait will greatly increase.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    if conditions let me, i let them run at least 2-3 time. old timer told me, first run, fish in mouth. 2nd, it's turned, but not deep. 3rd, into mouth, ready to hook. i've lost some, but caught more using that method. hard to do more. some runs are only 5ft. some are 30ft or more. try keeping hands off the poles during that time.
    gary

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree 100% with the kahles.I think that is a big problem with alot of people.I usually will wait until the fish has loaded up on the rod to grab it.Sometimes when I get a good hit but they dont load it I will hold the rod and wait so I can set the hook on a good hit.Wait until he really hits it or you can feel the fish. Most of the time the fish will hook themselves with kahles but you still have the ability to yank on em.Patience is crutial.If you want to keep your rigging I wouldnt wait until he slows down to set it.

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Bigger hooks mite help and don't let the fish run so much. Running is not a hooking problem it just gives the fish a better chance to snag you up.

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That powerpro has no stretch to it. You can't really jerk hard. Just kind of lean back on the rod. Works for me.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dont use the bait clickers they may be dropping the bait. I leave them locked down and when they load it up I hammer them. I aslo like the kahles cause it gives me the choice to set the hook or not. If you have bait hooked towards the head remeber that they will always swallow the bait head first so try to have the hook in a solid place like through the nostrils or lips to keep the hook from turning back into the bait. I like to hook the bait behind the dorsal fin.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There's always going to be debate on this topic, but here's my 2 cents worth. Put the rods in a secure rod holder with the reel engaged and let the fish hook themselves. Since I started doing this my hookup rate on flatheads is near 100% (using kahles hooks, btw).

If you can't or won't do this, then the other tip I have is to make sure you have a solid feel to the fish (no slack!) before you try to set the hook.

9. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    listen to them SC boys, i've started using khales and circles more -even for flatheads. I do still like to turn the clickers on when i get a lil sleepy, but if i get a nice run w/ my clicker i just engage the reel and let the rod to the hooking. Fish are caught on limblines all the time and it's the same method. i really think it takes the human error out of the whole process. A question i have for you is........DO YOU SNELL YOUR HOOKS? if not i think a proper snell hook is the strongest wat to attatch a hook to a leader, and it improves hook up ratio.-bassmassey

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use circles, kahles, and j-hooks and have missed fish on all of them. To cut down on the misses I try to make sure the hook is exposed and it matches the bait size. Don`t get frustrated brother just try different styles of hooks in all sizes until you find what works best for you. I use circles and kahles more than any other style of hook.

11. Cmartin4538

Cmartin4538 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    See I use 5/0 kahle hooks, and throw on a piece o cut up bluegill on. I usually wait a few seconds for them to take my bait then i pick up my rod, wait for them to pull again, then set the hook. This method has been pretty successful for me lately.:smile2:

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Like a couple of others have added, let me say -
    A)I do snell my hooks - helps that hook stay in line so it catches and hooks
    2)Matching the hook to the biat is very important - you want it big enough so you have some good gap left over to catch in the catfish, but not so big it weighs down and kills the bait.
    C) I fish in pretty good current, so I hook my baits in the nose (if they are hooked in the tail, they will eventuially get tired, get turned around, and drown), and I open their mouth, go in the mouth and out the top of the nose. For me this is the best way to hook a bait so it can't turn around and get stuck back into the bait (which makes it impossible to get a hookset on that monster flathead!)

13. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am a recent convert to circles and letting the cat hook itself with the reel engaged after decades of using j-hooks. Some of the "misses" might be gar or other fish that I have observed picking up my bluegill. I have had tiny cats and monsters both bite lightly. I think a lot of it has to do with what direction they are heading when they pick it up. Good luck.

14. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    i agree with everyone else here.try experimenting with a different hook.ive always used kahle hooks with great success.this year we have been trying circle hooks with good success so far.just takes some gettin used to with circles.good luck,hopefully you find what works for ya

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I would say big mouths need big hooks, 8/0 or bigger.

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The first problem I see is you are trying to set the hook to hard with braided line and there is no stretch, therefore losing the bait and ripping the hook from the fish. You can make up for that by setting your drag looser but tight enough to still set the hook, once the fish is hooked you can always adjust your drag tighter if needed. Or, go to 40 lb Berkley Big Game and use 9/0 to 10/0 Eagle claw king kahle hooks or Daiichi 7/0 circle chunk light hooks and let the fish hook himself.

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
  18. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i agree with those who lock the reel down and use khayle hooks. i only fish for flatheads with live bait. i hook my baits thru the tail. (it was the way i was tought as a kid) i am going to try hooking thru the nose though. i use big hooks. i like atleast an 8/0 and usually use 10/0. when i fish in oklahoma useing crappie for bait i sometimes use 14/0 shark hooks.i have found that a flat head will scale bait like crappie and green sunfish before he eats them.i never set the hook until the rod is fully loaded. it seems to me that this is usually the 3rd or 4th strike. i use to want to jerk on the second strike and most of the time what i would get is a crappie back that had most of the scales blown off of him. when i know i am in the fish and i know they are biteing i scale my bait. under these conditions 90% of the time one bite is fish on.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < I took all of my braided line and threw it in the trash!>

I did just the opposite, and will never return to mono.

<which is going to my leader of 65 lb. test braid that i snell my hook with>

ALWAYS use mono for your leader.

BB in SC

20. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i would say try a bigger hook or downsize on the bait a little bit.