Waht types of cut bait have you used

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by RSVBill, Aug 19, 2009.

1. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am curious about the vaious types of cut bait you have used, I have used naturally the shad , herring, Carp ( my favorite ), perch. have even went as far to use a small gar that decided to take my bait. all of which i have actually caught fish at some point.

anything unusual you use or have tried with any luck...

Thanks Bill

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have used shad blkuegill mooneye and skipjack cut and had good success on all.....but if you really think about it....a cat eats fish in general so probably anything u would cut and throw in the water something will eventually eat it.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've used skipjack & gills.

4. festus

festus New Member

This year I have used shad guts, bluegill fillets, white bass fillets, yellow bass fillets, and drum fillets. For some reason I have better luck hooking fish on fillets better than cuts. Maybe it's because they flutter during a current or sinking to the bottom.

I have also used the throat latch cut from a bluegill. Also have used cut creek chubs and suckers. If I can get large creek chubs and suckers for bait, I'll cut them crosswise into steaks. Ditto for shad.

This year I haven't used a trotline or jug line. If I did, I'd probably cut my bait into steaks and use the head also to conserve my bait. In this circumstance, I discard the tails.

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man festus thats a lot of bait......also a few ways u use ur bait cut that i wouldnt have thought of...

6. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hell if I cut them into steaks they may not make it to the water lol.... But cant hurt trying something different, will keep ya posted on how well it does.

thx Bill

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i have used shad bluegill and skipjack

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    what a list i could go down, ill name a few and im sure ill forget some. letterally anything that is legal to use for bait and i think may have an interesting smell to attract a cat i will use/try it. here it goes: bluegills, skipjack, mooneye, shad, small channel and mud/yellow belly cats, creek chubs, shinner, sucker, carp, goldfish, blue herring, trout basically anything i have used alive for bait if it dies or isn't working alive ill cut it up and try it dead. sometimes instead of cutting it up ill just squash it with my foot. i think that can work better at times, it seems to let the bait keep the "flavor" longer. ive caught fish on everyone of these different cut baits. sometimes something new is just what they are asking for, for dinner.

9. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i use mainly bluegill but shad when i can catch them on the river and skipjack when i can catch them also. i have alot of sucess on gills:big_smile:

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I am with the rest of the crowd here with the usual bait suspects like shad, skips and gills. However I did use creek chubs for the 1st time this past weekend and they were catching fish, maybe even more so than the shad. I was landing my typical 5-6 lb channels/blues and most of them were on live chubs. One nice thing about creek chubs is the fact that you get to fish for them to fish with them....huh?

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    with everything i have tried, my favorite is def bluegill, shad, and chubs.

12. Top_Of_The_South

Top_Of_The_South New Member

State:
    Brandenburg, Kentucky
    how and where do you fish for creek chubs? i wouldnt mind trying this myself. I usually get mine by seigning a creek

13. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    So far this year the bait i have had the best luck on has been menhadden ,eels ,bream ,an liver with garlic :big_smile: