Wagon Train

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bigredcatfish, Mar 27, 2008.

1. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The cats are hitting hard at Wagon Train. Went out the other day and we caught nothing under 5lbs. Yes, we were shallow, as shallow as we could go and not be in the moss that is already growing up from the bottom.

2. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    theres alot of moss at wagon train. Alot. i keep trying to catch something in the shallows off martell rd with no luck but i cant get out of the moss. idk have to try something else. thanks for the info

3. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    don't use any weight???

4. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Nice going! Were you in a boat? What were you using for bait? I just spent two days fishing wagon train with shad sides and shrimp and i got one bite. i have been fishing the north side off of the rock jetties. Any advice???

5. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    hay when catfishjohn i think i might of seen you there at wagontrain!!

6. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Was it off of Martell road entry?

7. catfish_jordan

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    o never mind. we were fishing at the camp sites and the fishing piers.

8. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Last night went to shallows at Wagon Train. Fished shad sides and shrimp. caught two small fish on shrimp. When the weather improves next week I'm thinking about trying elsewhere on the lake. any advice?

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    congrats on your catches

10. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    stay shallow, we have been catching some nice fish in between the islands and the trees! Upwards of 7lbs. on shrimp and cut bait.

11. catfish_jordan

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    wow i wish i could catch ones that big!:eek:oooh:

12. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    im sure you will. you keep tossin that line and learnin which by the way is never ending. and youll yank bigger ones in then that

13. catfish_jordan

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    im gunna try some cut gills this year and see if i get any hits.

14. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    skawez, how was branched oak the other day when you went out??

15. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    oh not bad 3-8 mph wind out of the east bout 55-60 degrees sunny. the water temp varied between 47-51 depending on where we were in the lake. all in all it was a perfect day. especially the fact i finally got off the bank and in a boat for once. didnt catch anything tho. what the FFs found wasnt biting on the worms the jigs or the dough bait. tried to get some cut but like i said nothin was biting for us for some reason. we fished up against the trees and in the channels and leibers point. and out by the big trees too. seen some carp splashin around way back in the sapplings. and the pelicans were out too idk it was a good day i enjoyed it. sunday the WHOLE clan about 15 or so of us are goin to converge on wagon train. we'll see how that goes.

16. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    All you guys from Lincoln, where do you get your bait?? Tackle Shop?? Where??

17. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    when im in lincoln depending on what i need to get. ill go to the tackle shop although i do believe he is high priced and somewhat rude alot of the time.

since i live just 5 miles from hickman and they have a new bait shop there with just about everything that the tackle shop has not to mention alot that the tackle shop dont i go there when ever possible. its cheaper by the way the entire family runs it and is alot more friendly.

but never count out scheels. when in doubt and theres something you cant get at a regular bait shop you can usually get it thru scheels.

18. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    my buddy is thinking about buying the tackle shop!! Dewayne that has the tackle shop is very rude. What would you want as far as bait in a tackle shop. Or how can it be made better??

19. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i dont think his shop is bad just his personallity. new blood in there would i believe make it take off again once word got around. i know alot of people that wont go there for that purpose.

he could sell skipjack.. and those monster chubs year round. but that is bout the only place i know of round here anyway to get head on shrimp.. open up on the bait too he really dont carry much for that. add some cattin bait other then worms and FROZE liver.

20. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yes, He is going to have more bait and less tackle. Large chubs, sunfish, shrimp with heads, skip jack, frogs, ect.