Wading for Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by IL_CATFISH, Jul 21, 2006.

1. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey fellas, I'm new to the site but not entirely new to catfishing. I recently read an article on wading for cat in the summer heat. Its primary focus was on creeks and small rivers. It sounded like a lot of fun and I was wondering if any of you had any advice on tactics for locating and catching fish like this. How do you pack your tackle, the best baits to use, size of rods to use, best way for locating holes........ Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If it is pretty clear water look for structure in the slower moving water, look for undercut banks on the bends, hiding place for the cats. Also if their is some deep holes try them. If you can locate where the stream or creek empties to a river or lake that should produce. A slip float fished alond the bank being caried by the current could also be productive. Change it up if one thing doesn't work try something else.

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I do something kind of like it. What I like to use is one of those trout fishing wading vests (so long as the water doesnt get up over your waist) and just pack some of your stuff into that. The creek that is by my house is semi-clear water, and I just look for a little bit of structure, or deeper holes. It seems to work every time. Have fun fishing :smile2:

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    OH MAN!! You hit on my FAVORITE way to fish! I grew up fishing like this, and in my opinion is the ONLY way to fish in the summer! I use a 6' Zebco Rhino med. action rod, with a Zebco 808 real, spooled with 20lb test, or lighter. My favorite bait to use is either worms, or crawdads, or helgramites, whatever is easy to get. I use a 2/0 hook, and here is the key NO SINKER, or a VERY LIGHT sinker if you must. Sometimes I use a splitshot, just to make casting easier. As for hauling baid and tackle, I use either a coffee can with the lid on it, tie it to my waist with an extra stringer, or a 1/2 gallon plastic milk jug works as well. Tackle - everything you need will fit into an old pill bottle, or bandaid box. That is all you need, travel light, and a TON of fun! Also a good way to keep cool on a hot summer day!

Holes are easy to find, anywhere the current cahnges, or forms eddys in the water. The best places are where trees have fallen into the water. Just throw short of where you want to fish, and let the current cary it in for you. I have also used a bobber in some places where there are a lot of big rocks. The bobber will keep you from getting hung quite as much. MAN! Have I caught a lot of channel cat this way! Quite a few smaller flathead too!

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man that sounds awesome. It just seems like you would get hung up quiet a bit.

So jut let your bait drift through the bottom of the holes then?

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Yep, with no or very little sinker, you really don't get snagged that much. I just throw it a little short of where I want to fish, let it drift on in a little bit, then tight line untill I get a bite, or it is time to move. I love it. If you use a bobber, throw it straight to your side, and just let it drift down, but watch it, if it stops or goes under.........trout on!:lol:

7. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    have you ever tried finding a good hole in the river and dropping a chum bucket in it? Do you think something like that may work?

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I read an article about wading for catfish too. I do it quite often, basically if I'm going for flatheads I'll have 2 poles, one for flatheads and another for catching bait along the way. I carry all my tackle in a back pack and usually some mee boths and nightcrawlers in there too. I tie my float n troll bucket to my pants while I'm wading to carry my live bait around. I usually wade to different sand bars and eddies and fish them for an hour or so and if the bite isn't on there, I move on to another one. Also cutbait is your best bet for channels, you can catch your bait and put into a plastic grocery bag and tie it off to a belt loop so it stays cool in the water.

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Interesting.....
    I wonder how it would be small lake fishing for them out of my old ba@@ tube?

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I have a place like that I like to wade for bass, but never tried for cats that way, I know there are some good one there but I never gave it a shot, but I will.

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    The one good thing about creeks like that is there are only so many places a fish can go, and you can hit all of em.

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I will wade for trout and salmon nevr done it with cats before but one thing to remember is becareful so you dont slip and fall in.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A tube float can be effective for getting through deeper holes and pools in small creeks and rivers, also for carrying gear. I've go a small kayak I use in small creeks and rivers, drift through pools, just drag it though the shallow areas.

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Here's how I do it. Since we arent blessed enough to have those 60 lb. Flathead cats way up here I just use a long but light-er lined pole and float a night crawler or trout worm under a bobber (sometimes, depending on the bottom) and cast upstream of the lie and sorta drift the worm right in. work the line so it stays in front of the target an wait! I only use a bobber if the bottom is full of logs and other debris to get hung up on. I set the depth right off the bottom. I like a longer pole si I can put a little distance between me and the lie so not to spook anyone/thing :) Good luck and happy fishing.
    Hope this help a little.