Wade fishing a river

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Randync, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Im a bank fisherman who seldom fishes rivers. I usually fish the lake (Lookout Shoals) above the Dam. But Ive been taking my kids swimming below the dam in the Catawba River. I was messing around and found several good places to try for cats (I think) water 3- 5 foot deep, slightly out of the current and with several trees down in the water, right off the bank. My queston is how close can I get to where I want to fish, without spooking off the Cats? Ive seen several big Carp there, and am also wondering if Carp and Cats will share the same hole. I can wade to about 5 or 6 such spots within about 150 yards or so. We have been catching good size bream there and I plan to use them for bait, and or Chicken Livers. I plan to wade right before dark and fish them until after dark and wade back.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Maybe I am just a scardy cat but I can't see me wading water at night. The spot sounds good though. Have you waded out during the daylight hours to see if it pretty clear?

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey randy i live near lake hickory and have never fished lookout before. If it good catfishing in lookout? are there flatheads? any info would be great!

4. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah Ive waded the river a good bit my biggest concern is wading up on a snake. Most of the holes I plan to fish have a little open area. I may just wade up and drop my bait, then back off and hope the fish come to it.

Yeah Lookout has some decent cats I just fish around the dock, anywhere you can walk to and fish, I fish, from the Wildlife Access below Bunker Hill School. My biggest Cat ever which Im ashamed to say is only about 4 pounds came from the Dock down there. But last night I was down there and using Dipping worms and Dip bait, and hooked a big one (He looked about 2 feet long or better), my poor old Zebco 33 wasn't up to the task and made a noise like a Chronic Smoker on his deathbed and wouldn't reel in. My 15 year old grabbed the line and tried to bring him in, got cut by the line and the fish snapped the line about 5 feet from the bank. It's 10 pound test line I think. Then 10 min later I hooked another one on my Baitcaster that was almost as big and he rolled off the hook also right in front of me.
    Ive also seen several in the 10 pound range or bigger that guys with boats were showing people, when they came into the dock area. I like bank fishing down there because there is enough light, to see my rods and gear so I don't lose anything.
    And yeah Im pretty sure there are flatheads down there. But until recently I just called it a cat if it had whiskers and didn't care what kind it was, so I didn't really look to see what kind they were.

5. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Randy, I wade The Upper Little River in Harnett county a lot when I can get someone to go with me. IMHO a few words of advice. Do not use waders, if you get in over your head you can be in trouble. Don't go by your-self, again if you have trouble its good to have help. Know the area and check it out slow the first time. I don't think I would like the night wading very much unless I was real close to shore, like to see where I'm going. If you use a light you might attract something you would rather not have in the water with you. If you fish at night you know how snakes like light. Probably would be a water snake but could be unnerving if hes swimming around your neck ! We catch some good fish wading because we can usually get to water that has very little fishing pressure. Have you ever thought about trying a tube or float rig ? Good for calm water and not very expensive. Don't try this one in a river or anywhere you have moving water. Not much control. Again its better to be safe than sorry. Good liuck and let us know how it goes !

6. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Fred. I don't wear waders down here, I don't like sinking in mud while wearing them. Im a heavy guy anyway and don't need help in getting stuck in the mud lol. I do wear them when trout fishing due to slippery rocks.
    Where Im fishing is right off the bank and it's not deep, no more that chest deep in most places. And it's close to shallow water where it is that deep. Ive been up and down that stretch of water plenty in the daylight. The current is pretty rough at times, I found that out when I waded about half a mile upstream to help some young guy get his boat ungrouded, when the water went down while he had his girl up in the woods lol. But Im a strong swimmer and don't think it's too dangerous right there.

7. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey randy are you going below lookout dam or below hickory dam? how do you get below lookout dam? i went to lookout above the dam and the boat access but the road was blocked going below the dam.

8. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Below Lookout Dam is where Im going to go wade fishing. I do most of my fishing right there at that access in the lake it self. But to get below the dam, you can do it two ways that I know of. Park right there where the road is blocked, go across that fence (it's just blocked to vehicles not foot travel) and walk about a half mile down to the river. Or the easy way and where Im talking about wade fishing, is on the Iredel Side. Go down 40 to Sharon School Road. Get off and take a left from the offramp then take first left just past interstate( across from a store) go straight down that road until the stop sign. Take left at that stop sign I think it's called Lookout road, it's a dirt road. That road takes you to the dam. You will see a couple of spots where you can park and walk to the river. Or you can go all the way to the stop sign near the dam, and take a right and there is a parking lot there for people who want to fish at the dam it self.

9. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    how deep is it down there? is it like below hickory 2-3 foot deep or are there holes where the water is deep? do shad run up in there at the dam or is it too shallow?

10. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Alot of it I would say is 3-5 feet deep with deeper holes. Ive seen boats up in there but I don't think you can get right to the dam. Lots of rocks of course. The last time I went a guy got stranded up there, next to the bank when the water went down. He had a good sized ski boat, I think. Another guy tried to pull him off with a little john boat I guess and he didn't have any trouble going up in there. The right side of the river if your coming up towards the dam, seems to be deeper. But Ive not been on the river in a boat before myself. If you want to go try it and we can set up a time that is good for both of us, Id be willing to wade ahead of you and show you how deep it is, and get you around rocks,when you get near the dam. My favorite spot is a little over a half mile below the dam on the Iredel side. And boats get past that spot pretty easily. The one that got stuck was well past that towards the dam, and he had tied up at the bank to get out with his girl. Then the water went down and got him stuck.

11. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Forgot about the Shad queston. Yeah Ive seen shad running down there, near the dam. But Ive seen more above the dam in Lookout. Ive seen alot in Lookout this year compared to the past. At least in the coves right there near the wildlife access.