Waconda, Here we come!!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by johnliester, Jun 19, 2009.

1. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Headed out to Waconda lake this weekend. Just the wife and I on a fishing and peaceful getaway.Last 2 times I've been there I've caught a large variety of fish, but the cats have evaded me. Even hooked a big gar last trip, and watched him take all the line out of my bass reel before breaking off. Took my new Rogue minnow too! Anyway, what baits would you folks recommend for this lake. I know minoows will get me white bass, crappies, smallmnouths, and wipers. But what I want to catch are cats. I'd like the wife to finally hook into a big fish. her biggest is a 4 lb, largemouth to date. Thanks, John.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Cant go wrong with fresh shad or live/cut perch. Good Luck!

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Good to hear from you John. Hope you stick a pig !!! :big_smile:

4. johnliester

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Thanks Keith. We've been tearing up the white bass and drum at Webster this year. Almost lost our catfish rigs monday due to rising water! Came up more than a foot and a half while we were there. Our point we were fishing disappeared. But the white bass were still in the area. They came right up into the newly flooded areas and we hammered them. But alas, the catfish elude me. I've caught a few dinks, less than 3 lbs. But nothing of any size. And it's not just Webster. All the lakes we fish have had a catfish shutdown, for me at least. All my go to baits have failed me. Even homemade stink bait doesn't seem to work. Any ideas on bait for really clear waters?

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Id try live perch or fresh cut shad. If nothing takes that, Id say they are spawning and its going to be tough. Ive never fished out there John, so Im really not sure what to tell ya. Its been tough fishing lakes around here lately. Ive caught some, but nothing too big, and the ones I have caught, are skinny, blue head, spawned out males. Different lakes spawn at different times, so its a toss up. All you can do is try. Good luck, I hope you stick a pig. :big_smile:

6. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    My relatives have about 10,000 acres in Mitchell and Jewell county...I have been to a couple of parties there and hunted around there many times but never fished it.I always hear about guys fishin around the Cawker city causeway on the west side of the lake. Like Keith said cut shad or cut carp,shrimp or turkey livers. I know that guide service chums for channel cats and hammers them. The name of it escapes me ...we never pay to hunt it's on the north side of the lake.If they are spawning that can be a windfall to you if you don't have a boat.Get a long spinning rod with at least 20-30 lb test. walk the rip rap banks like around the dam or around bridges and dabble shrimp,worms or liver on a bobber about 18 inches deep along the shoreline. As you move pick up your bait straight up and set it back down even if you are only moving a few inches. If you find them you can really hammer them that way.

7. johnliester

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Well, we had a great btime last weekend. Saturday saw us sleeping in so we didn't get to the lake until sometime around 4 pm. And it rained. Drove around the state park and the dam looking. And it still rained. Looked at the outflow too. A lot of water coming out of it, but the roads were greasy. And still it rained. around 7 oclock the rain quit and we noticed a lot of people gathering on a point near the dam. Went down there and had a good time catching white bass. Not many big ones, most were under a pound. But the wife had a blast catching them. Did I mention it started raing again? We got soaked and finally gave up at 9:30. From there we got a motel room on Downs. It wasn't fancy but it was a real nice room for the money.
    Sunday we slept in again. Then we headed to the other end of the lake and fished the south fork. Nothing would touch our nightcrawlers at all. After we switched to shrimp things started happening.We ended up with 9 channels weighing from 3 to 10 pounds, 4 drum and a carp bigger than any I've ever hooked into before! And we did this between 11:00 am and 2 pm. What surprised me was the water was awfully muddy, yet we caught fish. I still haven't gotten my gar yet though.....

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    good that ya didnt let the rain get ya down. glad ya had some action. what may of happened if ya hooked on one of them bass and cast it out ??:eek:oooh:

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    John, after a good hard rain, look for the biggest feeder creek or river, and fish it. Thats where you'll score bigtime. :big_smile:

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i scored bigtime at the...... OH !! different kind of score :embarassed:. sorry. lord, i appoligize & be with the starving customers at the buffet Keith is at. :wink::smile2::smile2::eek:oooh:

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thurs. night Aug 6th in Wichita at Two Brothers BBQ Buffet, come one, come all, and be a first hand witness to an Unparalleled Spectacle of Nature !!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    quit doin free shows !! you have a baby now :smile2::smile2:

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Taking bets on the response time of the Wichita S.W.A.T Team. :smile2:

15. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I hear those buffets are gonna post a lookout outside and start shutting down when they see Keith coming

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    :smile2::smile2:

17. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I called both brothers and letthem know your on your way, they said it was all you can eat they havea real big cook that comes out and tells you
    (that all you can eat) :wink: