Wackin squirrels with .17 HMR

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Howie Ketchdem, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

purchased a .17 hmr rifle when they first came out in 1999or 00 dont remember but man those guns are sweet. mine is a marlin stainless/gray lam. with leupold var. x 3 4-12. makes squirel hunting way easier thats for sure, i took a squirel at 108 yards last year. would look into the 17 hmr if you do not already own one, the coolest rimfire round you will ever see. have had best luck w/ hornady 17 grain rounds groups 1" groups at 100 yds. today our squirel season opened with 30 mile an hour winds..... maybe tomm.

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    I have the same 1 but wood stock and bull barrel , 1 sweet lil rifle devastateing on small game . just wish the amo was a lilcheaper .

3. Howie Ketchdem

works on cyotes to drops em in their tracks, woodchucks out to 150+
    have to head shoot anything you plan on eaten.

4. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    have'nt had the privlage yet for song dog , have took'n all other critters though . can't wait for winter smoke some rabbits .

5. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd have to disagree on the comment about dropping coyotes in thier tracks, maybe if you shoot them directly in the head at close range but at a distance i've never personally done it or seen anyone else drop'em. They all have been crawl offs or just run then drop and flop and roll around or just plain run off and we never find them.

I do love the rifle for squrrils and ground hogs though, bout all its good for other than punching paper.

6. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have a heavy barrel savage with a 8-36 world class plus tasco on it...I bought 2000 rounds last spring for a prarie dog hunt..that never materalized :angry:
    still its a sweet shooting piece...

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    here is a pic..

Attached Files:

8. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    BLKCLOUD , that's a sweet look'n rifle !!! what cal- ?

9. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    17 hummer..thanks!!!!

10. Howie Ketchdem

have killed cyotes with 17 hmr more than once use a 20 gr. bullet, and of corse i shoot them in the head its a 20 gr. bullet ill put it in ther eye if they hold still, but you put it in there head out to 150 my father did it, shot a chuck at 139 in the adams apple and it nocked his front teeth loose. there small bullets but have amazing expansion and penetration. 30% more energy at 125 yard than .22 mag. its a fine cyote gun for mich. we dont get many shots over 200 yds and you cant shoot centerfires at night either, so .17 is only option here, other than a shotgun which is not even close in comp. with 17. at night here they rarely comw with in 60 yards

11. Howie Ketchdem

when gun first came out in mich how law was written it was legal to use on deer, later changed law but my dads friend shot a doe in the side of the head at 70 yards said its head was like a sack of marbles